Quick question about an incident which happend today

Old March 28th 04, 04:54 AM
Chris

Default Quick question about an incident which happend today

Hi everyone,
I have a question for people who fly in CT, and NY often. Today I was
flying from Danbury (DXR) to Brookhaven (HWV). I flew out without incident.
Coming home I flew from Brookhaven direct to Calverton then to Bridgeport
then direct Danbury using a combination of my sectional chart and GPS as a
backup. The whole route was flown at 3,000 ft with the exception of takeoff
from Brookhaven and a decent about 8 miles to the south of Danbury. Upon
arrival ground control at Danbury gave me a phone number to contact NY
approach on. I called the number and was transferred to a controller who I
told my call sign the control accused me of flying through the Westchester
County Airports airspace at 2,800 ft. I was never within more then 20 Miles
of White Plains on my whole route. This is confirmed with my GPS which has
the tracked route stored in it and my by extensive knowledge of the area. I
also confirmed I was directly over Bridgeport and flew in-between the lakes
in the area if anyone is familiar with them. The controllers insisted it was
me and said he tracked me flying over Westchester, I'm absolutely positive I
was never in the area. He got alittle agitated when I told him I believed I
was correct and he just demanded it was me for sure. I'm just curious what
anyone else would do in this case. Another aircraft came into Danbury around
the same times from the south and I think this is a case of mistaken
identity and was accused of busting the class delta for no reason. Are there
any actions or steps I can take against being falsely accused?

Thanks,
Chris

Old March 28th 04, 05:23 AM
PhyrePhox

Print out the route information from the GPS. Fill out a NASA form and
attach the print out.

Paul Davis

Old March 28th 04, 05:43 AM
Chris

CORRECTION:

Hi everyone,

I have a question for people who fly in CT, and NY often. Today I was

flying from Danbury (DXR) to Brookhaven (HWV). I flew out without incident.

Coming home I flew from Brookhaven direct to Calverton then to Bridgeport

then direct Danbury using a combination of my sectional chart and GPS as a

backup. The whole route was flown at 3,000 ft with the exception of takeoff

from Brookhaven and a decent about 8 miles to the south of Danbury. Upon

arrival ground control at Danbury gave me a phone number to contact NY

approach on. I called the number and was transferred to a controller who I

told my call sign the control accused me of flying through the Westchester

County Airports airspace at 2,800 ft. I was never any closer than 15 Miles

Old March 28th 04, 06:02 AM
Peter Gottlieb

I would ask for the supervisor and explain the situation, the possibility of
mistaken identity, and offer to send in the GPS plot. If it goes further
than this, they should be able to match up your GPS plot with a radar track
and clear you. I don't know if they will do this, but because of the
possibility of things like this happening I am a member of the AOPA legal
services plan and I would call them to get a more solid answer to what steps
I should take.

Usenet is great, but there times a lawyer representing you and making a
couple of calls can really put your mind to ease.

Old March 28th 04, 02:18 PM
Victor

File a Nasa report.
Old March 28th 04, 02:32 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Save the ground track on your GPS, if it has one...
File an incident report...
Join AOPA in the morning and take out their legal insurance...
If you hear anything further from the feds do not answer any questions,
refer them to your lawyer...
denny

Old March 28th 04, 02:38 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Oh, and most importantly, never, never, never talk to atc unless you are
absolutely forced to do so... I haven't looked at the sectional for your
area so you may have had to talk woth them the entire way, but in the future
always plan your flying so that you only use atc to get into or out of
controlled airspace, and then immediately cancel and go back to squawking
1200... They are NOT your friend...
denny

Old March 28th 04, 02:38 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Chris" wrote in message

[...]

Did you receive radar services from any ATC facility? If not, and it sounds
like you didn't, the controller is not in a position to accuse you of
anything.

Old March 28th 04, 02:51 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message

Oh, and most importantly, never, never, never talk to atc unless you are
absolutely forced to do so... I haven't looked at the sectional for your
area so you may have had to talk woth them the entire way, but in the
future always plan your flying so that you only use atc to get into or out
of controlled airspace, and then immediately cancel and go back to
squawking 1200... They are NOT your friend...

In your uninformed opinion.

Old March 28th 04, 03:32 PM
Dan Luke

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote:
Oh, and most importantly, never, never, never talk to atc
unless you are absolutely forced to do so...They are
NOT your friend...

Dang, Denny, that's pretty harsh.

I don't share your view, but you've got a lot more time than I, so I
must suppose you base that opinion on experience. Care to share it?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM