Katrina

Old August 29th 05, 04:13 AM
W P Dixon

Default Katrina

Guys and Gals,
Take a moment tonight for thoughts and prayers for the folks on the Gulf
coast. Winds are now 160 knots. To our newsgroupers in the Mobile area I
sure hope yall have gotten out of Dodge. Let's all hope that things won't be
as bad as everyone is saying. Please do what you can to help the victims, I
am sure lots of our help will be needed and greatly appreciated.

--
Patrick Dixon
student SPL

Old August 29th 05, 12:32 PM
Dan Luke

"W P Dixon" wrote:

To our newsgroupers in the Mobile area I sure hope yall have gotten
out of Dodge.

Nah, still here.

At 06:30 local on the east side of Mobile Bay we're getting rain squalls
and winds 25G45kt.

Power at my house has blinked once.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old August 29th 05, 07:13 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Dan Luke wrote:
"W P Dixon" wrote:

To our newsgroupers in the Mobile area I sure hope yall have gotten
out of Dodge.

Nah, still here.

At 06:30 local on the east side of Mobile Bay we're getting rain squalls
and winds 25G45kt.

Power at my house has blinked once.

Dolphin Island is under 7' of water at this moment...

Winds haven't gotten higher than 30mph over here on the central/west
side of Lousiana...
Old August 29th 05, 08:19 PM
Marco Leon

I find it amazing the wealth of info received from just one simple post as
compared to the newscasters on location. They have NOTHING to add in terms
of new info and sometimes are counterproductive by spreading rumours. It's
almost laughable what they're putting themselves through.

Good luck to you all down there.

Marco Leon

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 29th 05, 08:47 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Marco Leon wrote:

I find it amazing the wealth of info received from just one simple post as
compared to the newscasters on location. They have NOTHING to add in terms
of new info and sometimes are counterproductive by spreading rumours. It's
almost laughable what they're putting themselves through.

Good luck to you all down there.

Some 7 people unaccounted for in Grand Isle who wouldn't leave, 20'
storm surge there. Heard from the guys that were stuck on a jackup barge
there as well, they called into a Lafayette teevee station...

Reportly 114 mph winds at GI, 28' storm surge was predicted...

We just got our first rain here, few big drops but mostly drizzle...
Old August 29th 05, 09:55 PM
Don Tuite

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:19:32 -0400, "Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com
wrote:

I find it amazing the wealth of info received from just one simple post as
compared to the newscasters on location. They have NOTHING to add in terms
of new info and sometimes are counterproductive by spreading rumours. It's
almost laughable what they're putting themselves through.

I expect the ham radio newsgroups are also informative.

Good luck to you all down there.

Ditto.

Don
Old August 30th 05, 08:04 PM
Dan Luke

"Darrel Toepfer" wrote:

Good luck to you all down there.

Some 7 people unaccounted for in Grand Isle who wouldn't leave, 20'
storm surge there. Heard from the guys that were stuck on a jackup
barge there as well, they called into a Lafayette teevee station...

Reportly 114 mph winds at GI, 28' storm surge was predicted...

We just got our first rain here, few big drops but mostly drizzle...

Hope you're ok over there, Darrel.

Just got my DSL service back at 13:30 local. Power is still off and
generators are humming all over the place.

My neighborhood is a much worse mess than it was after Ivan last year.
Many large trees are down and some houses are heavily damaged. Utility
lines and poles are down everywhere; stores are closed; gas is
scarce--and this is 90 miles from the path of the storm.

Pictures of the damage are trickling in from Mississippi and Louisiana.
This might be the worst Gulf storm all time in terms of property damage.

I hate hurricanes.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old August 30th 05, 08:19 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Dan Luke wrote:

Hope you're ok over there, Darrel.

Winds topped out at 30, no measurable rainfall... 4R7 - 126.7 nautical
miles west of New Orleans Lakefront. Picked up a few branches and
skimmed the leaves out of the pool a couple of times...

Just got my DSL service back at 13:30 local. Power is still off and
generators are humming all over the place.

Mine was running as soon as the power failed after Lili. Couple of days
later you could here several. After 4 days you could hear lots of them.
I replaced my 5.5kw gasoline, with a 30kw NG/LPG one. It got me and 2
neighbors through Lili though (burned nearly 100 gallons of gas). I
swore I'd have air conditioning through the next one though...

Cable was out for a week, DSL was only out for a few hours through the
whole thing...

My neighborhood is a much worse mess than it was after Ivan last year.
Many large trees are down and some houses are heavily damaged. Utility
lines and poles are down everywhere; stores are closed; gas is
scarce--and this is 90 miles from the path of the storm.

Lots of refugees here in Eunice. The ones from Thibodeaux returned home
yesterday...

Pictures of the damage are trickling in from Mississippi and Louisiana.
This might be the worst Gulf storm all time in terms of property damage.

Just got the ones of the Pemex rig bumping the Cochrane-Africatown USA
bridge there in Alabama...

I hate hurricanes.

As do most of us...
Old August 30th 05, 08:36 PM
RST Engineering

Does sort of give you ponder for thought when so many brides want hurricane
lamps on the front pews at their weddings. Perhaps a glint of what is in
store for the groom?

{;-)

Jim

I hate hurricanes.

Old August 30th 05, 08:53 PM
George Patterson

Darrel Toepfer wrote:

I replaced my 5.5kw gasoline, with a 30kw NG/LPG one.

What did that set you back to install? Around here, it costs more for the
permits and installation than for the generator.

George Patterson