I had 2 DUI's about 6 years ago, is it realistic for me to become a commercial pilot?

Old July 8th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Default I had 2 DUI's about 6 years ago, is it realistic for me to become a commercial pilot?

Any help, advice, or experience is really appreciated. Feel free to
email me!
Thanks,
Jarrod

I F you have been clean for 6 years A N D you have a clean driving
record since the last DUI with no moving violations I tend to think
you have a good chance...

Get some letters of recommendation attesting to your clean lifestyle -
including one from your family doc that he has no evidence of
substance abuse - and go apply for a student license... I would not
waste money on a lawyer... Either the FAA legal staff will buy your
new found way of living clean or they won't - and machinations by
counsel won't change facts here... The only machination I might
suggest would be to get a concealed carry handgun license if you can
- that will carry some weight with OK City...

I know some of the senior AME folks who work with heart patients,
diabetics, etc. and are expert in this area of FAA regulation. If you
are near Michigan let me know and I will put you into their hands...

My advice, go for it...

denny

Old July 8th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

I have seen a few GA accident reports where a 'good old boy' had been
drinking and had an accident, sometimes killing himself and some or
all of his passengers. Very rare but has happened.

I have NEVER seen an Airline fatal accident where the remains of the
pilots were checked for alcohol and either one found positive.

Anyone dispute these comments and can provide source?

Big John
************************************************** **************

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 14:09:55 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

writes:

Life is very seldom black and white, which is about all you seem
capable of understanding.

In matters of safety, sometimes it is necessary to reduce the shades of gray
to black and white, and then make a decision.

Old July 8th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Big John wrote:
I have NEVER seen an Airline fatal accident where the remains of the
pilots were checked for alcohol and either one found positive.

Anyone dispute these comments and can provide source?

Here's an article from 2005 that seems relevant:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medi...p?newsid=18691

"In crashes of commuter aircraft or air taxis, measurable BACs were found
in only three of 108 pilots who died between 1983 and 1988, and there are
no cases where alcohol has been implicated as a probable cause in a fatal
crash of a major U.S. airline."
Old July 8th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Jim

I can believe the data on the Commuter/Air Taxi's. Their erratic
flight schedule and low pay scales and single pilot operation puts
lots of pressure on those Jocks. My original comments put them in the
GA column.

All of the Airline crews are dual pilot so even if one has had a few
drinks the two pilot cockpit has give a real time operational safety
as a dearth of fatal accidents show.

Big John

Old July 8th 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Big John said:
All of the Airline crews are dual pilot so even if one has had a few
drinks the two pilot cockpit has give a real time operational safety
as a dearth of fatal accidents show.

However, there have been numerous cases where impaired pilots had to be
taken off an airliner. The most famous incident was where *both*
Northwest pilots for a flight were drunk.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
'Vegetarian' -- it's an old Indian word meaning 'lousy hunter'.
Old July 8th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, Big John said:
All of the Airline crews are dual pilot so even if one has had a few
drinks the two pilot cockpit has give a real time operational safety
as a dearth of fatal accidents show.

However, there have been numerous cases where impaired pilots had to be
taken off an airliner. The most famous incident was where *both*
Northwest pilots for a flight were drunk.

How many flights have been conducted where one or both of the pilots had been
out partying the night before, and were "considerably less than sharp" for their
flights? If one serious challenge to the flight had happened, would they have
been sharp enough to prevent a crash?
--
Jim in NC

Old July 9th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

B A R R Y wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 05:03:17 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:
I personally happen to know someone who was cited twice for
this because she was the designated driver, and the fool she was taking
home left an open bottle of alcohol in her back seat.

Yet, she never had a sip.

How can you be charged with a DUI with a blood alcohol of zero? She was guilty
of having an open container; not DUI.

That has to be total BS, or there is more to the story.

Did this person actually bother to get a real lawyer and fight the
charges?

Were they "convicted" or "cited"?

Cited, not convicted. She actually did get a lawyer and contest
the citation. It was dismissed. Even the issue of the open bottle was
dropped, as the person who was drinking came to the proceedings and
mentioned that it was his bottle.

Were they under the influence of something else, like a prescription
drug, that prevented them from passing a sobriety test?

I know that at the time, she was taking prescription meds for
depression, but I don't know if she had taken them when this all
happened.

Twice?

Amazing the things that happen in a small desert town called
Las Vegas.

BL.
- --
Brad Littlejohn | Email:
Unix Systems Administrator, |

Web + NewsMaster, BOFH.. Smeghead! |
http://www.wizard.com/~tyketto

Old July 10th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

El Maximo writes:

Actually, that question is completely irrelevant to the question
posed.

No, it is not. The FAA is concerned about pilots who fly while drunk;
it doesn't care how many times they've been drunk in the past while
not flying. Their concern with DUI is to try to predict who is likely
to become drunk before flying today, not in the past. Since they
cannot check every pilot before every flight, they try to predict and
move proactively.

Nopekl worng again fjukkwit

Bertie

Old July 10th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Paul Tomblin writes:

A person who didn't learn from the first DUI is either an idiot or an
alcoholic. Now maybe he was just an idiot and grew out of it, or
maybe he's a borderline alcoholic who is likely to drink and drive
(or fly) again. Personally, I would want to see evidence that he
doesn't drink enough to get drunk regularly.

Exactly. One DUI is strong evidence of alcoholism; two DUIs is
virtually proof of it. So the question is whether or not this person
still drinks. If he still drinks at all, he needs to stay on the
ground.

Wrong again, fjukkwit

Plenty of pilots who would drive drunk wouldn't even consider getting
near an airplane in that condition

So,

Wrong again and again and again and again and again and again and again
and again and again and again and again and again and again and again