Best Glide / Rate of Descent

Old May 9th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Best Glide / Rate of Descent

With the throttle at idle, and plane trimmed for best glide, what is
your plane's descent rate (in fpm)?

I tried this with my Cherokee 180 and found the resulting descent to
be somewhere between 900 and 1000fpm. (This was measured on the VSI,
not via altimeter plus stopwatch, so it is prone to error).

Varying the glide airspeed 5 or 10 mile an hour did not make a big
change in the descent rat, probably 50fpm or so.

Anyone tried the same?
Old May 9th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

With an MD-80 use Gross Weight plus 100 kts. If you weighed 120,000#, fly
220 knots for best glide ratio.

--

Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler History: (see below)

Old May 9th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Nathan Young wrote:
With the throttle at idle, and plane trimmed for best glide, what is
your plane's descent rate (in fpm)?

Anyone tried the same?

Having crashed both, I can definitively state that a C-210 sinks at roughly 700
fpm cleaned up and a Piper Lance comes down at 1100 fpm in the same situation.
While the extra cabin space is nice, the Cherokees are definitely lead sleds
when it comes to power off descents.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old May 10th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Nathan Young wrote:

With the throttle at idle, and plane trimmed for best glide, what is
your plane's descent rate (in fpm)?

note that: i) the best glide *speed* as indicated in your POH is
given at gross weight; i.e., sticking to this *speed* all alone
with less than full tanks, etc., i.e., lighter, will not work
as well as advertised; and ii) best glide speed does NOT give you
minimum sink.

--Sylvain
Old May 10th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Nathan Young opined

With the throttle at idle, and plane trimmed for best glide, what is
your plane's descent rate (in fpm)?

I tried this with my Cherokee 180 and found the resulting descent to
be somewhere between 900 and 1000fpm. (This was measured on the VSI,
not via altimeter plus stopwatch, so it is prone to error).

Varying the glide airspeed 5 or 10 mile an hour did not make a big
change in the descent rat, probably 50fpm or so.

Anyone tried the same?

I got about the same results with a 172.

-ash
Cthulhu in 2005!
Why wait for nature?

Old May 10th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Tue, 9 May 2006 14:23:16 -0700, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

Did you read Barry Schiff's article on this subject in the May AOPA PILOT?

Yep, that's what reminded me that I wanted to post my findings. ( I
had flown the test descents about two weeks ago).

-Nathan

Old May 10th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Nathan Young wrote:

With the throttle at idle, and plane trimmed for best glide, what is
your plane's descent rate (in fpm)?

COZY MKIV, gross weight (2155 lb), about 115 mph (100 Kts), I'll get
about 650 fpm. At min. sink (maybe 95 mph), it'll be about 550 - 600
fpm. At lower weights (maybe 1800 lb), BG will be at 100 mph and 550
fpm, with min sink (around 90 mph) about 450 fpm.

IOW, BG gives an L/D of about 16 with the engine at idle. If the engine
was off (and the prop stopped), the L/D is about 13 - 14. There's a lot
of idle thrust, even at 1000 RPM.

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://www.cozybuilders.org/

Old May 10th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Best Glide 50 kts, Sink Rate 133 ft/min, Glide Ratio 38:1

http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-16/N16VP.html

Brian

Old May 10th 06, 08:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

best glide 60 KIAS, wind 60 on the nose, sink rate 700 fpm.
Path is nearly vertical in this extreme example. If you
have to glide to a landing spot, pick some place downwind,
if you have to glide into the wind, you need to increase
speed, even if it increases sink rate. Your numbers will
vary, but keep the principle in mind.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P