Best Aviation Magazines?

Old December 16th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default OT: Vacation Travel (Was: Best Aviation Magazines?)

To me, "vacation" is defined by having the time to read the newspaper
over a second cup of coffee in the morning, whilst eating a toasted
bagel with cream cheese and strawberry jam smeared liberally all over
it. All done in a leisurely fashion, of course.

If I'm going to travel, I don't want to be at home. I want the local
newspaper to get stories I'll never see anywhere else.I want a local
restaraunt instead of McFood. When I'm driving a long distance, I even
try to tune in to local talk shows and I get a different view of the
world.... sometimes hilariously different!

Precisely, John. That's exactly what Mary and I do -- we try to sample
the local flavor wherever we go, which means getting far off the
freeway, away from big-box chain hotels and freeway-food places like
"Applebees" and "Olive Garden".

I will never, ever understand in a million years why anyone stays in a
"Holiday Inn Express" or eats at Bob Evans, when there are soooo many
outstanding, less-expensive, locally-owned choices available.

Really, if you only stay and eat in chains, why in the hell should you
ever leave home?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 20th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Schneider

Default Best Aviation Magazines?

Jay Honeck wrote:
Are these choices going to be available at the Inn? (An excellent
idea, actually -- stocking the library with material you know will be
read!)

Actually, most already are -- and then some.

We currently receive:

..
..
..
- Cherokee PIlots Association Mag

The Cherokee Pilots Association magazine just became my favorite. We had
a Cherokee 180 (N7232W) for about a year which I sold to a friend when
we bought the Lance. After many discussions, my friend invested in some
speed mods and new paint. I took some photos of him in flight with the
new paint job, and one of the shots is now the December cover of the CPA
magazine! Our old plane is the December plane of the month! :-)

The combination of the story behind how he ended up with the plane and
the upgrades he made turned out to make for a nice article ( he read
bits of it to me on the phone but I haven't seen the issue yet).

Here's a link to the current magazine cover at the CPA website
http://www.piperowner.com/current.htm -- I'm not sure how long they'll
keep the December cover on display.

I put together a page that tells a little about the story on our
website, and included the weight and balance spreadsheet for this
Cherokee 180 that I'd promised a few weeks ago in r.a.owning. I'll try
to add some more photos of his plane before I leave for the holidays.

http://www.4-fs.com/new/flying/aircraft.htm

Steve

Old December 20th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

The Cherokee Pilots Association magazine just became my favorite. We had
a Cherokee 180 (N7232W) for about a year which I sold to a friend when
we bought the Lance. After many discussions, my friend invested in some
speed mods and new paint. I took some photos of him in flight with the
new paint job, and one of the shots is now the December cover of the CPA
magazine! Our old plane is the December plane of the month! :-)

Cool! Congrats on having your pic published...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA