OT High Speed 'Net Access Options

Old September 17th 04, 08:49 PM
Bill Kambic

Default OT High Speed 'Net Access Options

Sorry for the OT stuff, but my ISDN modem quietly passed away this
week.

Since we live in the toolies no DSL, ADSL, or cable service is
available. So, for high speed service we are left with ISDN or
satellite (DirectWay).

Has anyone ever used DirectWay? Know anyone who has? Any comments,
plus or minus?

Any info would be appreciated.

Bill Kambic
Old September 17th 04, 09:14 PM
walt moffett

On 17 Sep 2004 12:49:06 -0700,
Bill Kambic wrote:
Sorry for the OT stuff, but my ISDN modem quietly passed away this
week.

Since we live in the toolies no DSL, ADSL, or cable service is
available. So, for high speed service we are left with ISDN or
satellite (DirectWay).

Has anyone ever used DirectWay? Know anyone who has? Any comments,
plus or minus?

Any info would be appreciated.

poke around broadbandreports.com, lots of interesting stuff.

www.broadbandreports.com/faq/5103 maybe where you want to start then look
over www.broadbandreports.com/faq/satellite.

Me, I would stick with ISDN instead of satellite unless I was offerred a
nice package deal. ISDN seems (I'm on DSL in the boonies) more stable and
does not limit you to a single ISP.

good hunting.

Old September 17th 04, 10:12 PM
George Shirley

walt moffett wrote:

On 17 Sep 2004 12:49:06 -0700,
Bill Kambic wrote:

Sorry for the OT stuff, but my ISDN modem quietly passed away this
week.

Since we live in the toolies no DSL, ADSL, or cable service is
available. So, for high speed service we are left with ISDN or
satellite (DirectWay).

Has anyone ever used DirectWay? Know anyone who has? Any comments,
plus or minus?

Any info would be appreciated.

poke around broadbandreports.com, lots of interesting stuff.

www.broadbandreports.com/faq/5103 maybe where you want to start then look
over www.broadbandreports.com/faq/satellite.

Me, I would stick with ISDN instead of satellite unless I was offerred a
nice package deal. ISDN seems (I'm on DSL in the boonies) more stable and
does not limit you to a single ISP.

good hunting.

I've heard from friends who use the satellite connection that it is just
like satellite TV, heavy rain or snow you lose your connection. Most
moved over to ADSL where available for the same price but more reliability.

George

Old September 19th 04, 03:07 AM
Bill Kambic

Thanks to all who have responded.

I found Web group devoted to DirectWay. Not too many "horror"
stories, lots of good information. The "bottom line" seems to be that
if you can't get anything else for a reasonable price, this service is
OK. Not great, mind you, but OK. :-)

Regarding cost, the differential is really not all that bad. A new
ISDN modem will run $250; the satellite box from DirectWay is $600.

Monthy fees are very intersting. My BellSouth bill for 128k was
$48.69. My ISP bill was $42.00. That compares to $59-$69 per month
for DirectWay.

With DirectWay I am tied to them as an ISP; with ISDN I have a choice
of three or four in our area who provide the service.

I tried to find a WiFi provider around me, but "no joy." Even if I
had I'm not sure I would have liked the numbers. The one in TN I did
find (near Nashville) wanted a $250 setup fee, another fee for
equipment, and $150/mo. for service.

After a lot of research we have decided to give the DirectWay a try.
I am going to keep a dial up account (one of the $10.95 specials) as a
back up. I'll probably use the same ISP that I have for many years
(vic.com) so I can keep my e-mail address.

I did run accross a new service that's supposed to start up in Jan of
'05 called "BlueSky." But I have only seen a couple of passing
references and don't want to wait for possible "pie in the sky." ;-)

Bill Kambic