AOPA Airport Guide Missing a Lot of Info

Old February 17th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Owen[_4_]

Default AOPA Airport Guide Missing a Lot of Info

I just received the new biennial AOPA airport directory and noticed a
lot of information is missing for airports. For example, a lot of
signature FBO's don't exist although some do. Philadelphia Intl doesn't
list its FBO (Atlantic Aviation) and the availability of fuel there.
Likewise there is no FBO/fuel listed for Boston, and the Signature FBO
at Bedford, MA doesn't exist in the directory.

These are just examples of larger airports and expensive FBOs, but I'm
finding many others too. They were listed in the previous directory.
The book's legend suggests that paid listings have a box around them,
but even just the unpaid regular listings are not there in some cases.
But there are a lot of listings that ARE there. So what happened? Why
allow some unpaid listings and not others?

The information about services available and by whom is what made the
directory really useful. What gives?

Old February 17th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Probably a lot of FBO did not complete a questionnaire.

Old February 17th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Owen[_4_]

Jim Macklin wrote:

Probably a lot of FBO did not complete a questionnaire.

But the online edition, by and large, still contains the information.
So why not the printed edition?

Old February 17th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Paper cost a lot of money and once printed is hard to
update.

I keep my printed directory near the toilet, something to
read while otherwise busy.

Old February 17th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_3_]

"Owen" wrote in message ...

Jim Macklin wrote:

Probably a lot of FBO did not complete a questionnaire.

But the online edition, by and large, still contains the information.
So why not the printed edition?

Lead time on a printer edition.

In systems work, it's the difference between batch and real time systems.

Old February 17th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Owen[_4_]

Matt Barrow wrote:

"Owen" wrote in message ...

Jim Macklin wrote:

Probably a lot of FBO did not complete a questionnaire.

But the online edition, by and large, still contains the information.
So why not the printed edition?

Lead time on a printer edition.

In systems work, it's the difference between batch and real time systems.

Still doesn't explain it though. The FBOs that I've seen missing from the
print ed. have been there for years, and have always appeared in the directory
before, and never went away from the online version. I know that AOPA does send
out surveys every now and then for changes, but why omit FBOs? Did they really
think that gasoline is no longer available at Boston, for example? (Although it
might as well be given the price there, lol)

Old February 18th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_3_]

"Owen" wrote in message ...
Matt Barrow wrote:

"Owen" wrote in message

Jim Macklin wrote:

Probably a lot of FBO did not complete a questionnaire.

But the online edition, by and large, still contains the information.
So why not the printed edition?

Lead time on a printer edition.

In systems work, it's the difference between batch and real time systems.

Still doesn't explain it though. The FBOs that I've seen missing from
the
print ed. have been there for years, and have always appeared in the
directory
before, and never went away from the online version. I know that AOPA
does send
out surveys every now and then for changes, but why omit FBOs?

If the FBO doesn't return the survey, they don't want to falsely report
services being available when they're not.

Did they really
think that gasoline is no longer available at Boston, for example?
(Although it
might as well be given the price there, lol)

I'd guess they don't assume anything, nor do they manually edit/review all
their data.

--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC