Weird ATC question & a rare compliment from my copilot.

Old May 18th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Longworth[_1_]

Default Weird ATC question & a rare compliment from my copilot.

On our second leg home from Michigan to New York yesterday, I was
the PIC and Rick took care of the communication. We filled the
following route from KBQR Buffalo-Lancaster) to KPOU (Dutchess County
Airport)

BUF V14 BEEPS V34 HNK V167 SPECL

Departing KBQR VFR, we picked up our clearance from Buffalo
approach at 126.15 and got cleared as filed. We navigated our way
using mainly the Lowrance GPS with the two VORs tuned in along with
the low altitude enroute and sectional charts for verification. We
had flown this route several times a year in the last few years.
Every single time, NY approach amended our route shortly after we
passed KBGM (Binghamton) steering us to FILPS intersection then direct
to KPOU.

Passing KBGM, Rick and I had our ears 'perked up' ready for the
amended clearance. Sure enough, the controller called our tail number
and asked a question which sounded very strange. "What did he say?"
Rick asked. I said "He asked whether we have a harness". Rick said
"That was what I thought he said - N30703, do you have a harness? Why
would he want to know?" I said "Umm, maybe he wants to know if we
have shoulder harnesses in preparation for turbulence?" By this time,
the controller repeated the same question somewhat impatiently. Rick
said "Say again". He repeated the question then added the sentence
which we had anticipated "I have a new clearance". We copied the new
route "direct DNY V249 FILPS direct POU", did a nearest VOR find on
the GPS and headed toward Delancy VOR while I tuned in the VOR for
verification. Listening in to the next few exchanges, we realized
that there was a heavy doing a hold at Helon and that explained the
reason for the diversion.

Rick and I kept pondering the weird question we thought the
controller asked us and could not figure out what exactly that he
said. The good thing that Rick did not reply that "We both have our
shoulder harness on and our dog Maggie also has her harness on ;-)".

Approaching KPOU, we were told to descent from 9000 to 7000 and
got in the cloud for about 10 minutes. We anxiously looked at the
outside thermometer and the wing leading edges for any evidence of
ice. (We had picked up a bit of light rime ice in the first leg over
Flint while in the clouds for a short time at 9000). Even though the
OAT was below freezing, there was only wet windshield and no ice. It
was quite bumpy while we were in the cloud this time. Hmm, maybe the
controller did ask about the harness after all.

Descent to 4000, it was clear and in VFR condition but I asked
for the ILS 6 approach. I had not done an actual approach since our
last x-country trip to Kentucky in September last year. All the hours
of simulated instrument practices in the winter time seemed to pay off
with the crosshair planted firmly in the donut. I held the plane
level for few second just to make sure that the needles did not get
stuck. Rick instantly reminded me "You are too high". I said "I like
to stay a bit high while landing on runway 6 because of the frequent
windshear". The little chirp of the wheels touching the runway was
always music in my ear. Maggie did not even wake up. Rick said, "You
could try to go for an ATP rating". He could have just buttered me up
because it was our anniversary two days ago. Compliments from my
copilot are a rare thing, I am happy to receive it once a year ;-)

Hai Longworth

Copilot training program Yossarian Piloting 2 September 27th 05 08:33 PM
FA: 1-Day-Left: Rare Book - CHARLES LINDBERGH - "WE" - The Spirit of St. Louis - Rare, Vintage Book Jeff Aviation Marketplace 0 September 24th 05 12:25 PM
FA: Rare Book - CHARLES LINDBERGH - "WE" - The Spirit of St. Louis - Rare, Vintage Book Jan Aviation Marketplace 0 September 19th 05 02:44 AM
Cool Copilot Site Shane Soaring 4 October 7th 04 05:00 AM
Virtual copilot Scet Simulators 4 October 5th 04 10:00 AM