Gasohol

Old June 2nd 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Default Gasohol

Ken Finney wrote:
"Peter Dohm" wrote in message
.. .

"Ken Finney" wrote in message

"Al G" wrote in message

"Ken Finney" wrote in message

"Al G" wrote in message

"Ken Finney" wrote in message

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote in message
news:a2st539jgtj27kdkfvfq7uiuq4hf4dpn20@4ax .com...

On Thu, 31 May 2007 05:11:27 GMT, tony roberts
wrote:

Is it true that there is no longer any requirement to label

gasoline

contaminated with alcohol?

Worse.
I read that, starting in 2007, in some places, California and some
Canadian Provinces included, it is regulated that all gasoline sold
must
contain at least 5% alcohol/ethanol.

Tony

Here in Ontario I was told not all gasoline must have 5% alky, but

5%

of all fuel sold must be alky - so 50% of all fuel sold being E10
satisfies the requirement. In practice, virtually all 87 octane
will
be e10. Premium 91 will (from some companies, at least) be E0,

making

the blended 89 E5. Since significantly over half the gasoline sold

in

Ontario is 87 octane, this would excede the requirements. - Just

from

what I've been told, but you can never trust the elected idiots, or
worse yet the beurocrats

IF I ever get a plane, all these silly fuel issues would be a real
irritant. I haven't been paying much attention to the new diesel
aircraft engines becoming available. Since I should be making my
own
biodiesel by the end of this Summer (for something less than 45
cents

gallon), are any of the new diesels in the O-200/Rotax 912 class?

What do you grow to make biodiesel?

Relatives that own restuarants and have to pay to dispose of waste

fryer

oil!

You grow relatives?

Well, somebody planted the seed and they tend to grow on their own. I

just

fertilize them now and then!

What do you actually do to the waste fryer oil to make it useful as
biodiesel?

A common misconception is that biodiesel is just filtered vegetable oil;
this is not the case. Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) (and Waste Vegetable Oil
(WVO), for that matter) don't have the proper viscosity to run in a diesel
engine unless they are heated to the 140 F to 170 F range. More
importantly, they solidify at too high a temperature and will clog the
injector pump and injectors. Biodiesel is vegetable oil that has gone
through the transesterification process. Simplified, you mix many parts
vegetable oil with one part methanol and a little bit of lye, then heat and
stir the mixture. After a while, you have a tank of cloudy oil with
glycerine on the bottom. You then bubble air through the oil until it is
no longer cloudy, and the clear oil is biodiesel.

Old June 2nd 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 10:42:25 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Cubdriver" wrote

Mogas at Hampton Airfield NH is still $3.40, though I suppose it will
go up in time, especially if lots of people discover they can buy
unadulterated gas there.

It depends on management's philosophy.

If they were to keep their profit margin low, and sell a lot of it, they
might find it is better to keep it cheap to sell a large quantity of it. Of
course, it all hinges on being able to keep the supply coming fast enough.

Selling lots makes sure the supply stays fresh, too.

Old June 3rd 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message ups.com...
You know I've been wondering: Does the Alka Seltzer trick really check to
see if alcohol is present? I'm no chemist, but I wonder if the Alka Seltzer
is just reacting with the water that most alcohols will attract from the
moisture in the air.

How about it? Any chemists in the group? If the mogas were blended with
alcohol with low water content, would the Alka Seltzer fizz at all? Maybe
the best test is still the "line on the beaker" test.

Well, we've been down this road before, back when the Alky test first
came on the scene. Some chemist here ended up concluding that the
test was valid, but I'm always open to hearing other thoughts on the
matter.

If the danged test DIDN'T work, that could ruin my whole day...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Seems to me the best test would be to do the alka seltzer test right alongside the 'water to the line' test, using the
same fuel sample, preferable a known dirty gasoline sample...

Old June 3rd 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Blueskies" wrote in message
et...

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

[...]

Two of the more knowledgeable contributors have stated that the Alka Seltzer
reacts with the water.

Logically, one could split a fuel sample into two parts and test both.
Then, if the fuel passes the AlkaSeltzer test and fails the "line on the
beaker" test; then Clare and Bob will have been proved correct and we will
have also gained a means to determine that fuel has alcohol added, but has
not absorbed moisture.

However, if the Alka Seltzer fizzes and the combined water and alcohol rises
above the "line on the beaker"; then the fuel will have failed both tests
and nothing at all will have been proved--because, as far as I know, the
"line on the beaker" does not seperately determine the amounts of water and
alcohol in the fuel sample.

Really, the only way that I know to correctly "do the science" is to
purchase a small amount (perhaps a liter) of anhydrous ethanol from a
medical supply and perform a series of tests on a variety of
samples--including samples of known pure and dry avgas and mogas. For the
moment, I am unwilling to undertake the project, and also I believe that
Clare and Bob are correct.

Peter

Old June 3rd 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Peter Dohm" wrote

Really, the only way that I know to correctly "do the science" is to
purchase a small amount (perhaps a liter) of anhydrous ethanol from a
medical supply and perform a series of tests on a variety of
samples--including samples of known pure and dry avgas and mogas. For the
moment, I am unwilling to undertake the project, and also I believe that
Clare and Bob are correct.

How sure are we that the gasohol in service station tanks contain no water?

Is it possible that all tanks containing gasohol contain at least some water
dissolved?

Is it a certainty that the alcohol added to gasoline contains no dissolved
water?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions. Does anyone know, for
CERTAIN, any of these questions?

My guess is that all service station tanks, (unless they have never had
straight gas, and that they are BRAND NEW) have had an opportunity to get
some water in their tanks. If that is the case, and you put gasohol in
them, the gasohol samples will contain some dissolved water, and the seltzer
test will work.

If that is the case, doing a scientific test with clean gas and adding water
free alcohol will prove nothing.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 3rd 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
David Lesher

B A R R Y writes:

Ken Finney wrote:

I already am, but there an STC for diesels in 172s.

Running on Jet-A, not Biodiesel.

Which is just kerosene...

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old June 3rd 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
David Lesher

ktbr writes:

The joke on us all is that gas pumped to your local distribution
terminal has no alcohol in it... At the distribution terminal are huge
tanks of gas, and smaller tnaks of alcohol, dye, additives, etc...

It is true that all oil companies fuel is essentially the same,
and has been true for a long time.

Anyone here recall Sohio with Winter-Ice Guard?

A) Yes, pipeline carry fuel that is traded widely between companies.
Many times, groups of competitors jointly own the pipeline company.
Inland Corp == Sun, Union, Shell & BP

[There are large efficiencies of scale on same; it costs almost as
much to run a 6" dia pipeline as an 18" one.]

Exception was that no one would take low-end Sunoco as it was lower
octane than regular. [Sun mixed a % of the low end and high octane
right at the pump.]

B) Yes, all the additives are injected at the marketing terminal;
aka where the trucks are loaded. So yes, you should be able to
buy un-altered gas, with the right connections...

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old June 3rd 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

In rec.aviation.owning David Lesher wrote:
B A R R Y writes:

Ken Finney wrote:

I already am, but there an STC for diesels in 172s.

Running on Jet-A, not Biodiesel.

Which is just kerosene...

Almost everything on or dealing with airplanes "is just whatever"
with a pile of drawings and specifications to prove to the satisfaction
of the FAA that it is the correct "whatever" right down to the
material covering the seat.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 3rd 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

In rec.aviation.owning Morgans wrote:

"Peter Dohm" wrote

[...]

Finding water free alcohol is basically impossible.

Alcohol will absorb about 2-3% water by volume as soon as it is exposed
to normal air, and that is what you will find in a medical supply
alcohol that is about 98%..

So if everything is kept as dry as possible, you can expect gas that
is 10% alcohol to be at least .2% water minimum.

Whether .2% water is enough to fizz an Alka-Seltzer tablet I have no idea.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 3rd 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Whether .2% water is enough to fizz an Alka-Seltzer tablet I have no idea.

I don't know the answer to any of these questions, but I've run almost
9,000 gallons of mogas through Atlas' Lycoming O-540, without a
burp.

In that time, I would be willing to bet that SOME ethanol-polluted
gasoline has run though his veins. It almost seems inevitable.

Personally, I am skeptical that gasohol is going to harm my 1974-
vintage aircraft. I use the damn stuff in every other gasoline engine
I own, including my 1986 Goldwing, my 1995 Toyota, my 1995 Ford van,
my 1997 Subaru, my 2000 Mustang, my three lawn-mowers, my two yard
blowers, and my one snowblower -- ALL without problems.

But, hey, if the FAA says it's bad, I gotta believe 'em -- so I test
every tank for alcohol.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Gasohol Blueskies Piloting 240 July 6th 07 12:42 AM
Gasohol Blueskies Owning 233 June 30th 07 03:50 AM
How scary is gasohol? Charles Talleyrand Owning 27 March 1st 04 11:39 AM