$1500 Cash Reward

Old May 27th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default $1500 Cash Reward

chris wrote:
Are we saying that in the US you can't get out of the car when pulled
over by the police?? I have been pulled over a few times here and
always got out.. Figured if I was in trouble I shouldn't make him
come to me or I might **** him off even more :-)

Whether to get out or not seems to vary with the circumstances and there
seem to be some different suggestions:

http://justice.adanaslaw.com/lawyer-...y-1122100.html
Old May 28th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

chris wrote:
On May 28, 10:03 am, Matt Whiting wrote:
chris wrote:
On May 28, 8:58 am, "Maxwell" wrote:
"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 May 2007 10:48:05 -0500, Maxwell wrote:
I carry one most everywhere I go,
and do you inform people around you that you are armed? or your neighbors?
I won't feel very well knowing that there are armed people in my close
vicinity.
Actually that's quite illegal in my state. If you carry a concealed weapon,
you are responsible for keeping it concealed. It's actually a felony to
inform anyone except law enforcement, that you have a weapon. Unless of
coarse you are presented with a situation that pemits you to actually use
it.
I think the legislative intent is to eliminate the possibility that someone
would use it for intimidation during simple civil disputes.
I was quite uncomfortable with the conceal carry concept when it was
initially announced in my state. But after completing the necessary training
to get the license, I began to realize the entire self defense act was
actually very well written. I think if more opponents of conceal carry would
either take the training, or study the actual laws, they would find
themselves much more reassured even if they have no interest in owning or
carrying a firearm.
For some reason, the violent crime rate dropped by 27% the first year in my
state. And I have yet to hear of a licensed individual causing a problem
because they carry a weapon. But I have heard of at least a few incidents,
where it actually saved someone's life.
So if conceal carry laws worry you, take a closer look. It is a much safer
program that initially meets the eye.
From what I've read it sounds like any nut job can carry a concealed
gun.. Are you happy for someone to walk into your work with a gun in
their pocket? Or a bank? How does the bank teller or the security
guard out front know the guy who just walked inside isn't going to
hold up the bank???
Must suck to be the police in your country, never knowing if the car
they've pulled over has a guy inside ready to draw his gun on them??
Maybe that's why our police don't kill people half as often - there's
almost no chance the guy behind the wheel has a gun, so no need to
shoot him if he comes at you???

It must suck to be in your country and be defenseless against criminals.

Matt- Hide quoted text -

There's other ways to defend yourself other than carrying a deadly
weapon.

When you start to rely on having a gun and don't take every practical
step to *avoid* the situation in the first place then it's definitely
gone too far.

Avoidance is always preferred and attempted. What makes you think
otherwise?

Matt
Old May 28th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

chris wrote:
On May 28, 10:08 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
chris writes:
Maybe that's why our police don't kill people half as often - there's
almost no chance the guy behind the wheel has a gun, so no need to
shoot him if he comes at you???

This is certainly true in France. The average person has no gun, so when you
are stopped by the side of the road, if you open the door or get out of the
car, you don't have to worry about being shot. At the same time, the cops are
reasonably sure that anyone who pulls a gun is a hardened crook, and not an
innocent person exercising his right to carry a firearm. Thus, they don't
have to constantly worry about having to draw and shoot in normal situations,
and they don't have to ask themselves if someone pointing a gun at them is
just a regular guy protecting himself.

Are we saying that in the US you can't get out of the car when pulled
over by the police?? I have been pulled over a few times here and
always got out.. Figured if I was in trouble I shouldn't make him
come to me or I might **** him off even more :-)

It is highly inadvisable to get out of the car. You should remain in
the car, roll down you window and then keep your hands on the steering
wheel.

Getting out and approaching the officer will really tick him/her off.

Matt

Old May 28th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

chris writes:
[...]

The officer has no idea who is in the car, what they may be high on or
what they may have just done. We had a local police officer killed a
year or so ago when he pulled over a car with three people who had just
robbed a bank. Unfortunately, the call had not yet been dispatched and
he wasn't aware that the robbery had just been committed.

It is safer for the officer if the car occupants remain inside until
they have been identified and a radio check made for any outstanding
warrants.

99 out of 100 stops are routine, but it is the 1% that can get an
officer killed. Having the occupants remain in the car gives them more
control of the situation until they have it scoped out fully.

Matt
Old May 28th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

kontiki writes:

If you are ever confronted with someone intent on doing harm
to you or taking your life or property, be sure and make it
clear to him that he will be breaking the law if he does so.

He would probably already know that. I've already cited the law in the past
to people assaulting me, and that has calmed them.
Old May 28th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

kontiki writes:

Sir... most crime victims were just going about their normal routine
and were chosen by the perpetrator because they looked like a good
"victim" who would not have a means of defense. I am not talking about
gang or drug related violence here.

Then the solution is to not look like a good victim, thereby avoiding the
crime in the first place.
Old May 28th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

kontiki writes:

What is a pity is that someone feels that their freedom of speech
has been limited or suppressed simply because an opinion opposite
to the one they hold dear has been expressed by another.

When someone starts advocating acts of terrorism against the person holding
the unconventional opinion, you may feel differently.
Old May 28th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Matt Whiting writes:

Avoidance is always preferred and attempted. What makes you think
otherwise?

The fact that some people carry guns, which is clearly not a tactic of
avoidance.
Old May 28th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

chris writes:

Are we saying that in the US you can't get out of the car when pulled
over by the police?? I have been pulled over a few times here and
always got out.. Figured if I was in trouble I shouldn't make him
come to me or I might **** him off even more :-)

It's usually best to wait in the car with your hands clearly visible.

Wanted Cambridge 1500 mount Andy Soaring 1 October 19th 05 12:33 AM
HP-18 project flown 1500 hours with trailer Victor Bravo Home Built 3 April 1st 05 02:43 PM
HP-18 project flown 1500 hours with trailer Victor Bravo Soaring 2 April 1st 05 02:43 PM
Compaq Aero 1500 Cradle PENN2P Soaring 1 October 18th 04 06:04 PM
1500 K in Sierra Wave?? Gary Kemp Soaring 1 March 31st 04 05:26 AM