Beeping Thing

Old February 15th 05, 02:26 PM
Dave S

I would recommend getting with the instructor in the club who checked
you out in and endorsed you to fly the 172. That club instructor should
be familiar with the radios and audio panels and be able to 1) address
the issue and 2) provide some instruction on the subject for you.
Getting someone to troubleshoot "beeping" over usenet is probably not
nearly as effective.

Of course, this recommendation is based on the assumption that you are
in a flying club that requires checkouts by club instructors (which has
been the case for me)

Dave

Slick wrote:
None of the 150's we fly have IFR equipment. I flew Almost me entire
training in a 150.
wrote in message
oups.com...

Slick wrote:

I can't figure out what this beeping thing was that I encountered the

other

day while flying a 172 from our club. I'm a fresh private and I took

my

parents to Mansfield airport for Sunday morning breakfast. When we

left on

runway 14 This beeping thing came on. I think it's a DME. I've seen

one in

use before, but I couldn't figure it out and it scared my mother half

death, (She thought it was a sound that meant the engine was about to

die).

How do I turn it off? This plane is equipped with the standard

NAV/COM, it

has an ADF and Garmin GPS with moving map. I tried Flipping all kinds

of

switches to turn it off and I couldn't figure it out. I knew it was a

marker

of sorts, so I knew it would go away, I just hoped it would go away

fast to

ease everyone anxiety. Any tips on how to turn it off?

I would have thought that during your 40-50 hours of pilot training a
good instructor would have shot a few approaches during duel lessons
and you would have been aware of a outer marker passage.

Ben Haas N801BH

News==----

http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

120,000+ Newsgroups

=----

Old February 15th 05, 07:44 PM
Corky Scott

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:26:37 GMT, Dave S
wrote:

I would recommend getting with the instructor in the club who checked
you out in and endorsed you to fly the 172. That club instructor should
be familiar with the radios and audio panels and be able to 1) address
the issue and 2) provide some instruction on the subject for you.
Getting someone to troubleshoot "beeping" over usenet is probably not
nearly as effective.

Of course, this recommendation is based on the assumption that you are
in a flying club that requires checkouts by club instructors (which has
been the case for me)

Is it necessarily the case though that a VFR pilot would have been
told about IFR radio functions? I know I wasn't told anything about
IFR radio procedures other than how to use the VOR nav functions.

I'm pretty sure I would have been just as mystified by the beeping as
the original poster.

Corky Scott

Old February 15th 05, 09:45 PM
A Lieberman

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:13:06 -0800, Bob Gardner wrote:

Alan, all marker beacons transmit on 75Mhz. No way you are going to turn one
off by changing ILS freq. I think the audio panel suggestions are closer to
the solution.

Hey Bob,

Thanks for straightening me up! I would have never known.

I am just surprised that my marker beacon never went off when I practiced
landings in my VFR lessons over at JAN (Jackson MS).

Here I thought I was "programming" the marker beacon with a "NAV1
interface".

Guess I took a simple thing and made it complex....

Allen
Old February 15th 05, 09:57 PM
Morgans

"Corky Scott" wrote

Is it necessarily the case though that a VFR pilot would have been
told about IFR radio functions? I know I wasn't told anything about
IFR radio procedures other than how to use the VOR nav functions.

I'm pretty sure I would have been just as mystified by the beeping as
the original poster.

Corky Scott

I would think that a pilot would be taught basic things, on everything in
the plane, at least to the level of turning it off.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 16th 05, 12:29 AM
Bob Gardner

In addition to operating on a single frequency, the antenna radiation
patterns are quite small...with the sensitivity switch in the Low position,
you pretty much have to fly right over the antenna to get the sound and
light. But that is what they are for, after all...indicators of exact
position.

Bob

Old February 16th 05, 04:46 AM
Dave S

Morgans wrote:

"Corky Scott" wrote

Is it necessarily the case though that a VFR pilot would have been
told about IFR radio functions? I know I wasn't told anything about
IFR radio procedures other than how to use the VOR nav functions.

I'm pretty sure I would have been just as mystified by the beeping as
the original poster.

Corky Scott

I would think that a pilot would be taught basic things, on everything in
the plane, at least to the level of turning it off.

Amen... not to mention.. just because I am a VFR pilot does not mean I
dont use the VOR and DME to navigate. Identifying navaids (and turning
on and off their audio feature) is key to navigating properly. But..
more than anything else, if it's on the plane, I think it's prudent to
know what everything is, and how to use it at the most basic level. Our
flying club did so...

Dave

Old February 16th 05, 04:49 AM
Dave S

A Lieberman wrote:

Just turn the NAV1 frequency to another frequency, and that would have
turned the marker beacon off.

Allen

The marker beacon is an independent radio reciever that is not connected
to the nav radio whatsoever. It may or may not be integrated with the
audio panel, but there usually is a mute or speaker switch associated
with it. Changing the nav radio should have no effect on the marker
beacon reciever, since the same marker beacon reciever frequency is used
across the entire country (and world, if I remember right)

Dave

Old February 16th 05, 12:11 PM
Stefan

Slick wrote:

use before, but I couldn't figure it out and it scared my mother half to
death, (She thought it was a sound that meant the engine was about to die).

Maybe she wasn't scared by the beeps, but rather because she discovered
that you were flying in a plane you even didn't know the switches. A
very reasonable scare.

Any tips on how to turn it off?

RTFM

Stefan
Old February 18th 05, 04:47 AM
JF

Stephen McNaught wrote:

If (s)he's refering to K1B9, Mansfield, Mass., then it does not have an
ILS. Don't know when the beeping was heard, but there are other airports in
the area that do have ILS approaches.

There is no such identifier as K1B9. The Mansfield, Mass airport is 1B9. ICAO
identifiers do not have numbers in them.