Thrown out of an FBO...

Old November 14th 06, 11:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Default Thrown out of an FBO...

mike regish wrote:

Which is the exact kind of thinking that makes religion, all religion, a
truly dangerous thing.

I think your religion of atheism or naturalism or whatever you practice
is the most dangerous of all.

Matt
Old November 14th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Crash Lander wrote:

"mike regish" wrote in message
. ..

Which is the exact kind of thinking that makes religion, all religion, a
truly dangerous thing.

mike

Like it or not, religion runs the world. How many wars were NOT religion
based?

All of the wars that were based on economics and greed ... which is most
of them. Religion is often blamed, but seldom the root cause.

Matt
Old November 14th 06, 11:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Crash Lander wrote:

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message

Like it or not, religion runs the world. How many wars were NOT religion
based?

Lots.

Perhaps, but I'd suggest more were religion based than were not.

But you'd be incorrect.

Matt
Old November 14th 06, 11:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jose wrote:

If we evolved from random combination of elements, why haven't we
evolved to grow back amputated limbs?

We have. We lost that ability. Why is an interesting question, and I
think the answer is that it "costs" too much. As life gets more
complex, the repair systems need to be more sophisticated, and the
overhead involved in carrying around such a repair system makes those
individuals less likely to survive and reproduce. Ironic, isn't it.

I think we just found someone less intelligent that the former
girlfriend you were talking about.

Matt
Old November 14th 06, 11:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

mike regish wrote:

How about rational thought?
How about not using the false promise of an afterlife with 72 virgins to
convince otherwise good men to murder innocents?

So Matt, why does god hate amputees?

So, Mike, why can't you think rationally?

Matt
Old November 14th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I think it's entirely likely something similar may be found with respect to
homosexuality. Not that failure to find such a thing would change my views
on it, but to argue that homosexuality is somehow contrary to evolution is
overly simplistic thinking at its worst. The mere fact that it exists, and
in such relative prevalence (as genetic "defects" go, it's pretty
common...and I do use that word "defect" very loosely), strongly suggests
that in the greater scheme of things, homosexuality is important for the
greater good in some way.

That's an interesting theory, and it's one that I've considered.
Homosexuality seems to exist throughout nature, in varying numbers, in
almost every species, so it appears to have some sort of evolutionary
advantage. Logically, there must be a reason, or it would cease to
exist, right?

Maybe not. There are evolutionary processes going on around us all the
time. There are also evolutionary processes that we, as humans, have
done our best to counter. Poor eye sight, for example, has been pretty
well eliminated as a reason to die -- therefore, more and more humans
are being born that need glasses.

(I, for one, have benefitted greatly from this turn of events. 5000
years ago, I would have died before my 20th birthday, long before I had
the opportunity to reproduce, simply because I've needed eye glasses
since 5th grade.)

IMHO, homosexuality is probably more akin to poor eyesight than it is
to any evolutionary *advantage*. We have simply learned to exist with
it, for no apparent evolutionary reason.

Which, again, is not to say I've got anything AGAINST homosexuality.
You continue to make this into a gay-bashing thing, Pete, and it's not.
I don't think any God is going to send homosexuals to any "hell", and
I don't think that homosexuals should be discriminated against because
of their orientation. I simply don't CARE. Homosexuality is an
evolutionary dead end, an accident of nature, no different than any
problem or trait any of us may inherit or face, and gay folks should be
left to do whatever they want, unhindered, in the privacy of their own
homes.

In discussions with friends about this issue, this "live and let live"
attitude towards gays seems to prevail, at least amongst my fellow
baby-boomers. No one hates gays, no one wants to harm them in any way.

Why, then, has this become such a problem for homosexuals? There seems
to be a deep-seated (seemingly self-destructive) urge for gays to
vocalize the "marriage" issue on the political stage, and I truly
believe that they would be advancing their agenda more effectively if
they concentrated on equal rights, not equal labels.

But enough of this! How in the heck we went from FBO courtesy to THIS
is beyond me.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 14th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Gatt,

For what?

You're actually trying sensible discussion with this nutcase?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 14th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

"Crash Lander" wrote in message
Homosexual people cry discrimination all the time. I can't understand
this. We have bars, and clubs where you go and have a drink with friends.
Gay people feel the need to have 'gay bars, and gay clubs'. What's wrong
with the bars and clubs that are already there, and what has a bar or club
got to do with your sexual preference?

Gay bars do not exclude straight customers, just as (for example) sports
bars do not exclude non-sports-fans. In contrast, however, a gay couple
holding hands or kissing (just doing what many straight couples around them
are doing) would, in many straight bars, be kicked out, or even subject to
violent attacks. Yet you summarize that state of affairs by saying that most
of the intolerance comes from the gay side. You aren't even making a token
effort to connect your conclusion to reality!

If you seriously believe what you claim to believe, then I propose the
following experiment. Visit a liberal US city, go to a gay bar with a female
friend, and hold hands with her. See if anyone even notices or comments.
Next, visit a "traditional values" town and go to a straight bar with a male
friend. Quietly hold hands with him, and report back to us about what
happens next.

If I'm in a bar having a beer, I'll still drink with you. I don't expect
your sexual preference to be a required part of the conversation!

A few minutes ago, after you recited a litany of Amos 'n' Andy-like
stereotypes about gay people, you expressed your desire to keep "separate".
But now you want to go out for drinks?

Sexual orientation almost always comes up in casual conversation. You
display your sexual orientation every time you mention your wife or
girlfriend, or hold hands with her in public. There's no reason for it to be
otherwise for gay people.

Old November 14th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 03:20:58 +0000, Ron Lee wrote:
Er, um, Mike. Radical muslims are everywhere. Many countries in the
middle east, Europe, and yes even in the USA.

Well, I've got a truck and a chain... Just need to find a road with
Mohammed's name on it..

Earlier, you were merely advocating genocide. But now you've escalated to
posting an actual death threat. Are you aware that the latter is a serious
crime?

It's astonishing that some right wingers in this conversation have bemoaned
"liberal hatred", but cannot bring themselves to object when someone
repeatedly calls for the extermination of a billion Muslims, or threatens to
lynch some.

George Orwell is being outdone he genocide is peace; marriage is hatred;
lynching is democracy.

Old November 14th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

No. It is merely evidence that Muslim terrorists may have a longer time
frame than the next quarter, or that successful acts of terrorism are
harder than we imagine.

I doubt it. I think it's more likely that our president has access to
and control of an immense arsenal of anti-terrorism weaponry, and has
used them effectively to prevent further attacks.

Of course, wrapped up with all that is the theory that 9/11 so
seriously knotted up the American public that further attacks were
unnecessary. Americans are known the world over for short attention
spans, and the inability to effectively fight a long war.

In short, all the terrorists had to do was wait, and win. Witness our
last election.

Again, I'm not supporting any POV w/r/t terrorism and such. I'm merely
rejecting faulty reasoning and faith based logic.

It's only one possibility -- but IMHO it is the most likely and logical
one.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA