Thrown out of an FBO...

Old November 14th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

Default Thrown out of an FBO...

"In Afghanistan under the Taliban, the official punishment for homosexuality
was execution, by the tasteful method of burial alive under a wall pushed
over on the victim. The 'crime' itself being a private act, performed by
consenting adults who were doing nobody else any harm, we again have here
the classic hallmark of religious absolutism."

Quoted from Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion". Pg 289

You're not far ahead of them. Some here are much closer.

mike

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
Why, then, has this become such a problem for homosexuals?

For one thing, gay partners are not allowed certain visitation rights in
hospitals, as they are not family. This kind of irks them.

Then that's a problem that needs to be addressed. Come up with a new
family term to describe their relationship (I kinda like "shariage"),
give them the rights of family members, and move on.

But labels confer rights, or remove them. Thus, labels are important.

Unfortunately, the label they're trying to usurp has already been
taken. Come up with a new one, and move on.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 14th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 22:27:15 +0000, Crash Lander wrote:
You support one football team, and I support another. I may not agree
with your choice to support that particular team, for whatever reason.
That doesn't mean I wouldn't be civil or even friendly with you. It just
means I won't rush out to help you support that team.

In other words, some people like sheep, some like 'roos... And you're
flexible... dirty-old-man-grin
Old November 14th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
. ..
A few minutes ago, after you recited a litany of Amos 'n' Andy-like
stereotypes about gay people, you expressed your desire to keep
"separate". But now you want to go out for drinks?

You are twisting my words. I said I wanted to keep my way of life separate
to that of a homosexual. That is, the interests and hobbies that conflict.
We all have different morals. Why would I want to indulge or condone
someones morals that I don't agree with? That doesn't mean I'm going to bash
or ignore, or not be social or civil to that person.
You support one football team, and I support another. I may not agree with
your choice to support that particular team, for whatever reason. That
doesn't mean I wouldn't be civil or even friendly with you. It just means I
won't rush out to help you support that team.
Oz/Crash Lander

Old November 14th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
You continue to make this into a gay-bashing thing, Pete, and it's not.
I don't think any God is going to send homosexuals to any "hell", and
I don't think that homosexuals should be discriminated against because
of their orientation. I simply don't CARE. Homosexuality is an
evolutionary dead end, an accident of nature, no different than any
problem or trait any of us may inherit or face, and gay folks should be
left to do whatever they want, unhindered, in the privacy of their own
homes.

This is pretty much what I've been trying, (somewhat unsuccessfully it would
seem!), to portray. The last 7 words are worth emphasising though. It's the
same for straight people though! How often do you see a young, or even not
so young straight couple making out quite vigorously in a park, or whislt
waiting to cross a road? What's the first thing that pops into your mind?
"Get a room!" So see? All orientations should keep it behind closed doors.

In discussions with friends about this issue, this "live and let live"
attitude towards gays seems to prevail, at least amongst my fellow
baby-boomers. No one hates gays, no one wants to harm them in any way.

Unfortunately Jay, some people do want to harm them, and I feel just as
strongly against that.

Why, then, has this become such a problem for homosexuals? There seems
to be a deep-seated (seemingly self-destructive) urge for gays to
vocalize the "marriage" issue on the political stage, and I truly
believe that they would be advancing their agenda more effectively if
they concentrated on equal rights, not equal labels.

Again, my thoughts exactly. This was the root of my 'they bring it on
themselves' type comments. I think I expressed it less elloquently however.

But enough of this! How in the heck we went from FBO courtesy to THIS
is beyond me.

Here here! Did you ever hear anymore about the event, or did you ever
contact him again?

Oz/Crash Lander
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 14th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

"Jose" wrote in message
t...

For one thing, gay partners are not allowed certain visitation rights in
hospitals, as they are not family. This kind of irks them.

This is an irrelevant point. Say for example, I'm in hospital from massive
injuries from a car accident or something. The hospital says I'm only
allowed immediate family to visit. My best mate of 30 years, whom I love
like a brother, isn't allowed to visit. This would irk him too, but he
doesn't cry discrimination or equal rights about it.
Oz/Crash Lander

Old November 14th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"mike regish" wrote in news:
:

Budhism is non-theist.

It's still a religion.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion - 2nd definition even
mentions it by name.
Old November 14th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

mike regish wrote:

I don't practice any religion. I AM an athiest. Name one war that was fought
in in the name of athiesm. Not by athiests, but in the name of athiesm.

Atheism is your religion. And a dangerous one it is.

Matt
Old November 14th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

It's a poor example of one. Budhism is more a way of life. Religion claims
to be, but is not.

mike

"Judah" wrote in message
.. .
:

Old November 14th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:

Why, then, has this become such a problem for homosexuals?

For one thing, gay partners are not allowed certain visitation rights in
hospitals, as they are not family. This kind of irks them.

Then that's a problem that needs to be addressed. Come up with a new
family term to describe their relationship (I kinda like "shariage"),
give them the rights of family members, and move on.

But labels confer rights, or remove them. Thus, labels are important.

Unfortunately, the label they're trying to usurp has already been
taken. Come up with a new one, and move on.

They usurped "gay" so stealing marriage won't bother them either.

Matt
Old November 14th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"mike regish" wrote in message
It's a poor example of one. Budhism is more a way of life. Religion claims
to be, but is not.

mike

As are all religions when practiced in their most strict orthodox manner.

Jay B