On topic: A-Bomb necessary? A different approach?

Old December 22nd 03, 06:54 PM
old hoodoo

Default On topic: A-Bomb necessary? A different approach?

JMO:

The only issue about the Nagasaki and Hiroshima is if it is justifiable in
war to one child in the hopes that more children will be saved overall
and/or if a single soldier is more valuable than a single child. A basic
morality question.

To me, its a question of responsibility. I personally do not feel that
cold bloodiedly killing a child to possibly save the life of an adult or
other children is justified, but that is just me.

There is also a question if a massive invasion of Japan with the was the
only option. Due to our overwhelming naval and air superiority we could
have taken over limited strategic sections for the basing of aircraft would
have had complete dominance over the Islands. Rather than taking large
areas of territory, we would have been able to force the Japanese to come to
us if they chose. However the Japanese would most probably not have had the
infrastructure to move large numbers of troops to face our bridgeheads,
especially in the face of our air and naval superiority.

If they did manage to move in a large concentration of troops, then it would
have been ok to nuke em.

I think we could have looked at different options. We had already
successfully starved the Japanese for fuel. They had lost the capacity to
produce aircraft in any numbers. All they had was a reserve of obsolescent
aircraft for suicide attacks and these would have been ineffectual once we
established air bases on Japan.

There is no question the Japanese Army would have initially attempted to
starve its own people to feed itself, but there would be ways to get around
that and the Japanese people and much of its army would have probably risen
up against this as it would have been their families that were starving. We
could have also supplied humanitarian aid to Japanese civilians....the Jap
army could not be everywhere, especially when we established bridgeheads
that would have forced their concentration.

No question more japanese would have died in even a patient investment of
Japan than died at Hiroshima and Nagasaki but it would have been on the
Japanese hands.

US casualties would have been no where near 100,000 , but we still would
have lost people of course. However, the result would possibly have been
far more morally easy to justify.

JMO
Al

Old December 22nd 03, 08:50 PM
B2431

From: "old hoodoo"

JMO:

The only issue about the Nagasaki and Hiroshima is if it is justifiable in
war to one child in the hopes that more children will be saved overall
and/or if a single soldier is more valuable than a single child. A basic
morality question.

snip more of the same.

Let's look at the options: blockade, atomic bombing, invasion and conventional
bombing.

Blockade: children were already starving to death with Japan showing no sign of
surrender. The number of children who would have died could easily exceed one
million.

Conventional bombing: children were already dying. The number of children who
would have died could easily exceed a few hundred thousand from direct
bombardment and starvation.

Invasion: children would have died in the tactical bombing, murder/suicide by
parents, children were already being trained to fight and some would have died
in "combat" etc. The number of children who would have died could easily exceed
half a million.

Nuclear bombing: children died. Exact numbers of children killed is unknown.
Assuming one third of the dead were children the number would be on the order
of 60,000.

In all of the above cases the war would still be going on in China, Korea etc
and children were dying there too.

In war people die. Unfortunately children do too.

US casualties would have been no where near 100,000 , but we still would
have lost people of course.

Most scholars use the number 100,000. On another thread someone said the U.S.
had ordered one million coffins. Looking at it with what was known in 1945 no
one had any accurate idea of casualties. They could only go by the actions on
Okinawa etc.

You are comparing apples to oranges in your argument: number of dead children
versus dead U.S. servicemen. It wasn't just that simple. There waas a major
land war going on in Asia that would not end until Japan had been driven out,
had won or had surrendered.

However, the result would possibly have been far more morally easy to justify.

War itself is immoral. Would it have been any less moral if the bombs had not
been dropped and Japan suffered millions of casualties from suicide,
starvation, conventional bombing and banzai charges?

Would you be able to tell the families of the U.S. dead after the invasions "we
had a bomb that could have saved your boy's life but felt it was immoral to use
it?"

Put yourself in 1945. War had been going on for a decade. Tens of millions of
people had already died. The world was already exhausted from the war. Knowing
what you would have known then, not what you know now, I would hope you'd try
anything to bring the agony to a close.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old December 22nd 03, 09:11 PM
B2431

From: (B2431)

From: "old hoodoo"

JMO:

The only issue about the Nagasaki and Hiroshima is if it is justifiable in
war to one child in the hopes that more children will be saved overall
and/or if a single soldier is more valuable than a single child. A basic
morality question.

snip more of the same.

Let's look at the options: blockade, atomic bombing, invasion and
conventional bombing.

I omitted one: the Allies could simply have taken all their toys and gone home.
This would have reduced the number of child deaths in Japan to near zero.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old December 22nd 03, 09:39 PM
Keith Willshaw

"old hoodoo" wrote in message
JMO:

No question more japanese would have died in even a patient investment of
Japan than died at Hiroshima and Nagasaki but it would have been on the
Japanese hands.

Dead is dead and it wasnt only Japanese dying.

The war was not on hold, the 14th Army was fighting in Burma
and the invasion of Malaya was planned for August 1945. The
Japanese bioweapons program alone was killing Chinese
by the thousand and a rather vicious war was going on there.

The Soviets were about to invade Manchuria and if the Japanese
there fought to the last you are looking at another 1/2 million dead
Japanese a;one

US casualties would have been no where near 100,000 , but we still would
have lost people of course. However, the result would possibly have been
far more morally easy to justify.

So people should have died to salve you conscience !

Please explain the morality of that ?

Keith

Old December 22nd 03, 10:12 PM
Cub Driver

Rather than taking large
areas of territory, we would have been able to force the Japanese to come to
us if they chose.

Uhuh. And what about 130,000 prisoners of war being starved, worked,
and beaten to death?

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old December 22nd 03, 10:17 PM
Cub Driver

In all of the above cases the war would still be going on in China, Korea etc
and children were dying there too.

In Downfall www.warbirdforum.com/downfall.htm Richard Frank estimates
that 350,000 Japanese died in Russian captivity after the war ended.
Many of them would have been children.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old December 22nd 03, 10:20 PM
Cub Driver

I omitted one: the Allies could simply have taken all their toys and gone home.
This would have reduced the number of child deaths in Japan to near zero.

But not the tens of thousands of Japanese children who died as a
consequence of the Russian mop-up of China and Korea. No way was
Stalin going to miss out on that.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at