Wave soaring nort of the polarcircle

Old September 2nd 12, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Wave soaring nort of the polarcircle

Hi,

If you want to have a look at how wave soaring looks north of the polar circle then have a look at the little movie I made of our trip to a place called Pirttivuopio which is close to the highest mountain in Sweden called Kebnekaise.
Very good wave soaring in almost all wind directions exept east which is rare at Easter time when the camp is organized.

The youtube link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii7IftronyM

Cheers
Tom
Old September 2nd 12, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

On 9/2/2012 3:07 PM, wrote:
Hi,

If you want to have a look at how wave soaring looks north of the polar
circle then have a look at the little movie I made of our trip to a place
called Pirttivuopio which is close to the highest mountain in Sweden called
Kebnekaise. Very good wave soaring in almost all wind directions exept east
which is rare at Easter time when the camp is organized.

The youtube link is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii7IftronyM

Cheers Tom

Superbly done! Thank you for sharing this!!! Surely 50 consecutive years of a
camp - much less a remote one as this - must be some sort of longevity record.

I noticed an "Experimental" on the fuselage of one of the towplanes. Is this a
recognized licensing category in Sweden or Norway?

Thanks again!

Bob W.
Old September 3rd 12, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Thanks for the video. This is very nicely done. I will watch the whole thing this evening.

I thought http://www.mtwashingtonsoaring.org/ was a bit edgy... but you guys are at another level.

Is the helicopter at the airfield for search and rescue?
Old September 4th 12, 09:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, September 3, 2012 1:59:03 AM UTC+3, Bob Whelan wrote:
On 9/2/2012 3:07 PM, wrote:

Hi,

If you want to have a look at how wave soaring looks north of the polar

circle then have a look at the little movie I made of our trip to a place

called Pirttivuopio which is close to the highest mountain in Sweden called

Kebnekaise. Very good wave soaring in almost all wind directions exept east

which is rare at Easter time when the camp is organized.

The youtube link is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii7IftronyM

Cheers Tom

Superbly done! Thank you for sharing this!!! Surely 50 consecutive years of a

camp - much less a remote one as this - must be some sort of longevity record.

I noticed an "Experimental" on the fuselage of one of the towplanes. Is this a

recognized licensing category in Sweden or Norway?

Thanks again!

Bob W.

Hi Bob,

It is allowed to tow with a plane that belongs to the Experimental category, this particular Piper Colt is basically a sertified plane but has undergone so many changes that it was allowed to be added to the Experimental category. The maintenance is much easier and cheaper this way

BR, Tom
Old September 4th 12, 09:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, September 4, 2012 12:27:29 AM UTC+3, son_of_flubber wrote:
Thanks for the video. This is very nicely done. I will watch the whole thing this evening.

I thought http://www.mtwashingtonsoaring.org/ was a bit edgy... but you guys are at another level.

Is the helicopter at the airfield for search and rescue?

Hi,

The one at the airport is a Autogyro which is owned by one of the organisers. He trains autogyro students with it to get a little younger blood into the Club that would hopefully continue to arrange the camp.

BR, Tom
Old September 6th 12, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tom,

Great video! Enjoyed it very much, although I'm not sure I would have lasted even one day there ;-).

Frank (TA)
Old September 6th 12, 11:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tom arppe

On Thursday, September 6, 2012 3:44:33 AM UTC+3, wrote:
Tom,

Great video! Enjoyed it very much, although I'm not sure I would have lasted even one day there ;-).

Frank (TA)

Thanks Frank,

It is not that harsh, when the sun shines in the cabin it is okay, the coldest part is the feet as they are tucked in under the gauges where the sun don’t shine. Last year I used battery powered heated soles in my boots which proved very nice.

-Tom