Bow Wave lift

Old January 25th 15, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Bow Wave lift

We had 3 flights at Inyokern, CA today with winds from the NNE and all of us had wave like to the east of the Sierra crest.

Folks at Cristal Soaring talk about getting "Bow Wave" with a north wind on the San Gabriel mountains. Perhaps this is what we experienced at IYK.

At the end of the flight, I dropped down closer to the ridge and and it was also working well with some spots of extreme lift and turbulence.

Any thoughts on how this works? Walt - WX?

5Z
Old January 25th 15, 06:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

There is a beautiful example of this in this time-lapse over Tenerife:

http://vimeo.com/23205323

Check it out at 1:18-1:30,also 2:18-2:27 (the rest of the video is stunning too!)

Note the wave structure on either side of the peak.

We get this all the time in Oregon east of Mt. Hood.

Old January 25th 15, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Well, the fluid dynamics and atmospheric dynamic people have known this for a long time. A Lee Wave occurs when a gravity propagates upwind of a mountain at the same rate as the mean flow. The wave also propagates vertically. Normally the stationary effect is vertical motion downwind of the obstacle to great altitudes. But, there are transient situations when the gravity waves propagates upwind faster than the mean flow, slowly enough, that one gets a fairly persistent "bow wave" effect. All of this is very sensitive to the stability, wind profile and boundary conditions. Explanation of this "Bow Wave" effect involves delving into papers in theoretical fluid dynamics and numerical model simulations. It's even difficult for me to understand clearly.

Bob Sharman NCAR has co-authored some articles on this. M Wurtele wrote some of the intial theoretical papers on Mountain Waves. He was a co-colaborator during the Sierra Wave Project in the 1950s.

Teddi Keller also wrote an interesting paper in 2012: Upstream-Propagating Wave Modes in Moist and Dry Flow over Topography

Sharman and Teddi are married and both work at NCAR. They both got their Ph'd at UCLA from Dr Wurtele. I saw both of them recently at the AMS convention in Phoenix.

Take a look at some of these references if you are into hydrodynamics and atmospheric dynamics:

Scholarly Paper - Lee Waves Ship Waves Sharman Keller
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=...0%2C5&as_vis=1

AMS Journals Online - Ship Waves and Lee Waves
http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/...W%3E2.0.CO%3B2

Lee Waves Benign and Malignant
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/p...ain_H-1890.pdf

NASA Wuertle Sharman 1993

Upstream Propagating Wave Modes in Moist and Dry Flow over Topography TeddieKeller_2012
http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/.../JAS-D-12-06.1

RAL | RAL Staff | Robert Sharman
http://www.rap.ucar.edu/staff/sharman-staff.php

The Research Applications Laboratory (RAL)

Teddie Keller | staff.ucar.edu
https://staff.ucar.edu/users/tkeller
Old January 26th 15, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Tom,

My comments on how a "Bow Wave" works with these technical papers really don't help much with trying to understand it. I guess it's another way of saying, "...it falls out of the theory, but we still don't know how to predict it operationally..." Or... "...you find lift, especially wave lift, in the strangest places...take what you get"

Perhaps Teddi Keller or Bob Sharman NCAR might be able to give a more intuitive or practical explanation. Maybe they could give us some tips on which situations we'll find it.

Walt Rogers WX
Old January 26th 15, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

We pretty regularly get bow waves along coastal headlands. These will show in the marine layer in the spring time when you can see the bulge in front of the headland. Often an accompanying "wake" will stream off downwind and outward from the land with a roll cloud or lenticular of sorts marking it. I have a picture from the satellite that shows this quite clearly in central California. I will have to find and share that. The typical line of the wake is from Pt. Buckhorn to Pt. sal.

Tom, we could hear you from our weak and ratty wave over in Santa Ynez. Slow climbs. Stumbled into a hotspot later in the day with 9kts from 12-18k and then a nice 30 mile run in lift.

Gotta love t-shirt wave in January. Only about -10C at 18.
Old January 26th 15, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

Old January 26th 15, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

Here is a photo of a series of bow waves well marked along the points of Central California. Most prominent is Pt. Arguello, just south of Vandenberg AFB. All of the points and headlands were triggering wave on this particular day. I think it was in June about 3 or 4 years ago. We get these waves on a pretty regular basis in the spring. I've even seen a lenticular/roll cloud extend all the way from Buchon to Pt. Sal and then interfere with the bow wave on that next point.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/10847298...7 63833362098

Vne, Va and lift? Flaps_50! Piloting 30 September 16th 09 12:10 PM
lift on the Sierras? Hellman Soaring 7 September 11th 08 07:46 AM
Backwash Causes Lift? Le Chaud Lapin Piloting 372 October 12th 07 05:52 PM
How much lift do you need? Dan Luke Piloting 3 April 16th 07 02:46 PM
thermal lift ekantian Soaring 0 October 5th 04 02:55 PM