Looking for 2 Piper Control Wheels (Ram's Horn)

Old July 31st 05, 01:27 PM
Mike Spera

Chuck,

Thanks. I'll give them a call.
Mike
On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 22:24:09 GMT, Mike Spera
wrote:

Tired of the ugly bow tie yokes (and the repetitive inspections). Anyone
have 2 ram's horn 1.125" yokes for sale? Piper P/N 79276-00V.
Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

I've been trying to replace the bow-tie yokes in my Cherokee 180 since
I bought it almost a year ago.

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding some for 1 & 1/8th inch
shafts -- I've found two or three used parts places that had them.
Try Stan at Faeth Aircraft Salvage 916-368-1832. He had a pair and
offered them to me for $150 a piece. My only problem is my Cherokee
has the older 3/4 inch shafts.

Only place that I found with the 3/4 inch shaft yokes wanted $995
EACH! I thanked him and let him know that he shouldn't hold them for
me...

Recently, I ran across someone selling Cherokee parts on eBay who told
me he can get 3/4 inch shaft yokes for $300 each with a 337 for
approval. I suspect that means a field approval which I'm not
interested in trying for. I've had a couple DERs and IAs tell me the
FAA informed them any incoming 337 will sit in an in-basket for at
least 90 days before being looked at. And of course, 9/10s of the FAA
people are so obsessed with covering their butts -- they won't approve
water to put out a fire. So, unless its an approved, PMAed, or STCed
part -- I'm not interested.

Good luck Mike. And send a post back if you want the names of the
other companies. Like I said -- they all had 1 & 1/8 shafts, so
they're no use to me...

Chuck

Old August 1st 05, 04:05 AM
George Patterson

Chuck wrote:

Good luck Mike. And send a post back if you want the names of the
other companies. Like I said -- they all had 1 & 1/8 shafts, so
they're no use to me...

You should be able to sleeve the larger yokes down to 3/4".

George Patterson
Old August 2nd 05, 04:12 AM
Chuck

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 03:05:56 GMT, George Patterson
wrote:

Chuck wrote:

Good luck Mike. And send a post back if you want the names of the
other companies. Like I said -- they all had 1 & 1/8 shafts, so
they're no use to me...

You should be able to sleeve the larger yokes down to 3/4".

George Patterson

Hi George,

You're probably right -- sleeving the inside of the 1&1/8 yokes to fit
my 3/4 inch shafts shouldn't be too difficult a challenge. But doing
that would require a 337 Field Approval. And that's what I'm trying
to avoid.

As I mentioned, several IAs and DEs have told me that a Field Approval
-- it if can be obtained at all -- will take at least six months. One
DE in Austin told me he's had a 337 pending for 14 months for a simple
GPS antenna mount on the top the cabin. What a joke.

So, I'll go on a while looking for certified 3/4 inch yokes I can put
on without a Field Approval. And if I can't find that -- I'll go the
Field Approval route.

Chuck
Old August 2nd 05, 12:33 PM

Chuck wrote:
: As I mentioned, several IAs and DEs have told me that a Field Approval
: -- it if can be obtained at all -- will take at least six months. One
: DE in Austin told me he's had a 337 pending for 14 months for a simple
: GPS antenna mount on the top the cabin. What a joke.

There we go... "The FAA: Keeping the world safe for bureaucracy"

Between that and the CYA seemingly required for absolutely everything in
aviation, it's basically impossible/unaffordable to do anything.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old August 3rd 05, 03:14 AM
Mike Spera

O.K. I bought a couple of units from Faeth. Slight problem. One has a
reported bent shaft and the other has "bad chrome" on the shaft.

Has anyone swapped the wheels themselves from bowtie to ram's horn (same
shaft size)? There appears to be a special pin in the bow ties and they
also look to be epoxied on. Is removal from the shaft even approved? Or
is this a "factory only" one-time operation that cannot be repeated? How
are the ram's horn wheels secured? Do you have to destroy the bowtie to
get it off?

Anyone swapped the control wheels only?

Thanks,
Mike

Old August 4th 05, 08:19 AM
Chuck

Shafts???? I thought you were only replacing the yokes -- why spend
the extra cash on the shafts?

Well, if you do need the shafts -- you can get the on with the chrome
problem re-chromed. If you can't find a finishing shop around, see
any competent gunsmith. Don't let him talk you into any of the newer,
fancy coatings/finishes. You need to replace the chrome with the same
so its still "factory".

And as far as replacing them -- I can't help there. Haven't found any
3/4 inch shaft yokes yet -- so have no idea the magnitude of the job.

Good luck Mike. And let us know how it goes...

Chuck

Old August 9th 05, 09:05 PM
Mike Spera

Well, I would like to replace the yokes only and use the shafts I have
in there already because they are in perfect condition. The shafts
attached to the yokes from the recycler are both shot.

My original question still stands: can you remove the yokes from their
shafts and remount them. If so, I can swap the yokes I just bought with
the shafts in the plane that are now attached to the original bow ties.
As I said, the bow ties look to be pinned and epoxied. The aluminum ram
horns I just bought look to be pinned and possibly sweated on or pressed
on. Is there an approved procedure to remove and remount these
yokes??????? What is the "pin" that is used. It does not look like any
AN hardware I have ever seen.

If I can indeed swap them, I will send the ram's horns out for
recoating. If I cannot remove/remount the ram's horns, I will return
them to the recycler because they will be junk.

Thanks,
Mike