MDW Overrun - SWA

Old December 11th 05, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default MDW Overrun - SWA

Matt Whiting wrote in news:ZA_mf.4154$lb.326571
@news1.epix.net:

Snipola
I'll make landings like that from time to time when alone, but I'll
never carry passengers into a situation where there is no margin for error.

Which is scary, considering in this accident the only fatality
wasn't even in the plane.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Like censorship and not getting support help? Switch to Supernews!
They won't even answer questions through your ISP!
Old December 11th 05, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Skywise wrote:
Matt Whiting wrote in news:ZA_mf.4154$lb.326571
@news1.epix.net:

Snipola

I'll make landings like that from time to time when alone, but I'll
never carry passengers into a situation where there is no margin for error.

Which is scary, considering in this accident the only fatality
wasn't even in the plane.

Yes, they were truly fortunate that this wasn't much worse. Had they
hit a large truck, or something more solid, the damage to the airplane,
crew and pax could have been substantial. Fortunately, that didn't happen.

Matt
Old December 12th 05, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Amateur is the correct spelling.

You can't really expect to get away with this. ALL critics of spelling or
typo's MUST have a spelling or typo containded in the post.

It *is* a rule. Please remember this, in the future. bfg
--
Jim in NC

Old December 12th 05, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I make mistakes, usually because my fingers are bigger than
the keys, I'm always getting the Y when I want the T and I
sometimes get the 3 and e together. But I went to school
years ago and learned how to write, read and do basic math
before computers. My wife has a Masters' in English and
that makes me aware of those words that get people in
trouble, such as...
site, cite, sight;
they're there, their;
prostate and prostrate;

I do use the spell-check in Outlook Express, it catches
typos mostly, sometimes I just can't remember how to spell
some words.

But I just could not resist the correction for the fellow
who was chastising me for stating my opinion, based on my
experience and what I would teach a student, about being
cautious.

But mistakes happen, see the picture at
http://boortz.com/nuze/index.html for Friday the 9th, check
the archive.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

Old December 12th 05, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Matt Whiting wrote:

Yes, they were truly fortunate that this wasn't much worse. Had they
hit a large truck*, or something more solid, the damage to the airplane,
crew and pax could have been substantial.

*...e.g., a gasoline tanker.

Could have been extremely ugly.

Touchdown at 152 (reported in local newspapers as "mph"), off the end at
46 (mph?), touchdown to impact with blast barrier: 32 seconds.

Jack
Old December 12th 05, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I need more evidence than some Monday night wannabe quarterback making a
WAG. Could be a multitude of mechanical, electrical, electronic or other
problems that caused the accident. Time will tell.

This is all speculation, that is all true. Something that bugs me is that
the ILS for 31C requires RVR of 4000 or 3/4 of mile visibility. The METAR
from just before the accident pegged visibility at 1/2 mile. Seems to me
that the approach shouldn't have even started.

Charles Oppermann
www.coppersoftware.com

Old December 12th 05, 06:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Charles wrote:
I need more evidence than some Monday night wannabe quarterback making a
WAG. Could be a multitude of mechanical, electrical, electronic or other
problems that caused the accident. Time will tell.

This is all speculation, that is all true. Something that bugs me is that
the ILS for 31C requires RVR of 4000 or 3/4 of mile visibility. The METAR
from just before the accident pegged visibility at 1/2 mile. Seems to me
that the approach shouldn't have even started.

On the face of it yes, but you're ignoring all the other potential sources
of *updated* weather info.

Hilton

Old December 12th 05, 07:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Charles Oppermann wrote:

Something that bugs me is that
the ILS for 31C requires RVR of 4000 or 3/4 of mile visibility. The METAR
from just before the accident pegged visibility at 1/2 mile. Seems to me
that the approach shouldn't have even started.

Possibly.

However, the RVR report is not the same as prevailing visibility
reported in the METAR. It's not unusual for the two to be quite
different when there is a reduced visibility condition on or near the
airport.

Jack
Old December 12th 05, 09:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jack" wrote in message
. net...
Charles Oppermann wrote:

Something that bugs me is that
the ILS for 31C requires RVR of 4000 or 3/4 of mile visibility. The
METAR from just before the accident pegged visibility at 1/2 mile. Seems
to me that the approach shouldn't have even started.

Possibly.

However, the RVR report is not the same as prevailing visibility reported
in the METAR. It's not unusual for the two to be quite different when
there is a reduced visibility condition on or near the airport.

And, particularly with snow ands fog, the view from the cockpit doesn't
match either. They're a very good wakeup call. But the are often
irrelevant on final.

moo

Old December 12th 05, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article , Charles Oppermann
wrote:

This is all speculation, that is all true. Something that bugs me is that
the ILS for 31C requires RVR of 4000 or 3/4 of mile visibility. The METAR
from just before the accident pegged visibility at 1/2 mile. Seems to me
that the approach shouldn't have even started.

Well, for starters, prevailing visibility and a specific runway's RVR
can often differ by quite a bit. That's why RVR is controlling for an
airliner. It also changes minute by minute, and the hourly ATIS isn't
at all a good indicator of what the RVR was when that airplane landed.

Second, Southwest's 737-700 airplanes have a heads-up display that lets
them use 3000 RVR on that runway at MDW.