Name an Aviation Theme Suite -- Win a Prize!

Old January 6th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Name an Aviation Theme Suite -- Win a Prize!

"JohnH" wrote in message
. ..

"Anola Gay" sounds pretty

That suite would be da bomb.

I believe you mean "Enola Gay".

Old January 6th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I vote for Poncho Barnes. We could have pictures of her girls on the wall, and
maybe a few horses, too. We could call it the Happy Bottom Suite. :)

George
If you request flight following, can you really "slip the surly bonds of earth"?
Old January 6th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
So we FINALLY finished the new "Piper Cub Suite" yesterday (some of that
artwork has been in our dining room for over three years!) at our aviation
theme suite hotel, and we're embarking on our last two aviation theme
suites, the "Apollo Suite" and the "Oshkosh Suite" -- both which have been
in the works for over two years.

However, since we created the "Cub Suite" by chopping one of our 2-story
townhouse suites in half (by walling off the stairs), we suddenly find
ourselves with an "extra" suite to name!

Thus, it's time to play "Name That Suite"! The winner earns a free
night in "their" suite, upon completion. Here are the rules:

1. The name must roll off the tongue, and be no longer than four words.
(I.E.: "The Charles Lindbergh Suite")
2. No aviation disasters, please. (No "Hindenburg Suite", please...)
3. Nothing potentially offensive or double-meaning (No "Bong Suite" or
"Hellcat Suite"...)
4. Combat-related names are iffy, unless they "sound pretty" to the
uninformed.

For example, our "Memphis Belle Suite" sounds "pretty" to folks who have
no idea who Bob Morgan was, and our "Mustang Suite" sounds kinda racy,
even to those who have NO idea what a P-51 is... We must be careful to
appeal to the NON-flying crowd, too, which eliminates a lot of great
names.

Ideally, the suite would honor a well-known era or aspect of aviation.
Look here to see which names are already in use:
http://alexisparkinn.com/theme_suites.htm

American Spirit

Old January 6th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

[...]

Honor an Iowa aviator and call it "The Ann Pellegreno Suite".

On June 9, 1967, Ann Pellegreno and a crew of three departed Oakland,
California, in a Lockheed 10A Electra, similar to the airplane flown by
Amelia Earhart on her fateful world flight thirty years earlier. Unlike
Earhart,
Ann found Howland Island, and dropped a wreath on it before returning to
Oakland on July 7th.

In 1974 Pellegreno was appointed to the Iowa Aeronautics Commission, the
first woman to serve in that capacity. Ann Pellegreno has been inducted
into the Iowa Aviation Hall of Fame (1990, charter member), the Michigan
Aviation Hall of Fame (1991), and the Experimental Aircraft Association -
Vintage Aircraft Association Hall of Fame (1997). Her book, "World Flight,
the Earhart Trail", was published in 1971 by the Iowa State University
Press.
The first two volumes of her trilogy "Iowa Takes to the Air" were published
in 1980 and 1986.

Old January 6th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Burns" wrote

I kicked that one around also. Lots of characters, lots of airplanes, but
would it "click" with a non pilot? Would a non pilot know what "The
Golden
Age" (of Aviation) was?

I would think that would be a great fit, for the non aviation crowd. What
do the older folks call their place in life? The golden years. Baby
boomers getting old has been a big subject lately.

The seniors would love to see the old airplanes, because the sight of DC-3's
is what they grew up with, and some of the other old planes were common
sight, also.

The fact that it will be smaller, and single story, is a good fit, also. No
stairs to deal with. Seniors traveling seldom have kids to accommodate, so
that is not an issue.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 6th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Nicknames for the DC-3 (C-47) (missing Dakota and Skytrain):

Nicknames: Gooney Bird; Super DC-3 (R4D-8); Skytrooper; Biscuit Bomber;
Tabby (NATO code name for the Showa L2D); Cab (NATO code name for Lisunov
Li-2); Dumbo (SC-47 Search-and Rescue variant); Sister Gabby/Bull**** Bomber
(EC-47 dispensing propaganda-leaflets in Vietnam); Spooky/Puff the Magic
Dragon (AC-47 Gunship); Dowager Dutchess; Old Methuselah; The Placid
Plodder; Dizzy Three; Old Bucket Seats; Duck; Dak; Dakleton (South African
C-47s which replaced their Avro Shackletons), Vomit Comet (Nickname used by
US Army paratroops during the Normandy invasion.)

Old January 6th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:

I favor the Blue Angels Suite.

Michelle
Old January 6th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message

"USS Enterprise" was an aircraft carrier LONG before it was a Starship...

Two aircraft carriers, actually, plus three schooners, a patrol boat, a
corvette, and a sloop. CVN-65 is the eighth US navy vessel to bear the name
"Enterprise".

By the way, Enterprise CVN-65 made its maiden voyage in 1962, not all that
long before Enterprise NCC-1701 made its maiden voyage in 1965.

Old January 6th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

How 'bout the Chuck Yeager Suite? He's pretty popular even for
non-flying types.

Or the Sikorski Suite or the Schweitzer Suite to mix in a helicopter
theme?

Or the TRACON Suite to honor those that help make sure that we all get
where we want to go when we can't even see.

If you put in leather furniture, red carpeting, and line the walls with
aluminum you could call it the "Bonanza Suite", even though it's not
more spaciuos than your average room...

For a moderately sized room supported by a much bigger foundation, you
could go for the "Zeppelin Suite" (might have an alternate appeal to
70's music fans, too).

You could paint the room completely black with silver highlights and
call it "The Black Box".

For those who are specifically NOT aviation-friendly (perhaps they are
prone to getting airsick) you could name it "The Dramamine Room".
Unfortunately, then you'd have to paint it pea-soup green. But the
obvious side benefit is that if you later changed your theme structure
to model Hollywood Movie Classics, this would require very little
adjustment to be the "Excorcist" Suite.

Perhaps some weather phenomena deserve honorable mention - The Cirrus
Suite (double meaning for the plane - paint the room white glossy, and
put in all white plastic furniture), The Towering Cumulus Suite, or
just, "Cumulonimbus" (it's not a Suite. It's a monster!) Might be a
problem to clean, though, since customers might think it's OK to leave
it looking like a tornado hit it...

Anyway, that's it for me and ideas...

Happy New Year!

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

Trying to Fly AliR Piloting 33 May 9th 05 12:00 AM
Aviation Books&CD Roms FS [email protected] Naval Aviation 0 April 10th 05 10:33 PM
Aviation Books&CD Roms FS [email protected] Home Built 0 April 10th 05 10:29 PM
General Aviation Legal Defense Fund Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 May 11th 04 10:43 PM