question about engines

Old December 8th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default question about engines

Morgans wrote:

The higher HP is a major reason, since you rarely see flat engines with HP
ratings of more than a bit over 300 HP. There are many radial engines that are
much larger than that.

Lycoming built a 12-cylinder opposed engine. I don't think it ever
went into production. There's a picture of it he
http://www.prime-mover.org/Engines/Images/lyco1230.jpg

The home page for a bunch of interesting engines, including Lycoming
auto engines:

http://www.prime-mover.org/Engines/Pictures.html

Dan

Old December 9th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

wrote

Lycoming built a 12-cylinder opposed engine. I don't think it ever
went into production. There's a picture of it he
http://www.prime-mover.org/Engines/Images/lyco1230.jpg

The home page for a bunch of interesting engines, including Lycoming
auto engines:

http://www.prime-mover.org/Engines/Pictures.html

That is why I typed the following

since you rarely see flat engines with HP
ratings of more than a bit over 300 HP.

Note the word rarely.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 9th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cirrus

Oil cooled?
Not familiar - these are air cooled engines.

Yes they do depend on oil flow for some cooling - and they also depend
on fuel flow for some degree of cooling - but they are essentially
air-cooled engines.

GF

Ok,ok, I'm crying uncle....

Really guys, I do understand how the engines work on the planes I fly.
Radial engines, on the other hand, I can only dream of getting to make
that kind of noise.
I was just trying to draw a distinction (with my poor wording) between
the two types so that I could ask my question, and from what I had
previously understood, the radial engines could often fly home clooled
by air if they lost oil. This, as compared to a C182, which doesn't
cool very well without it's oil.....
You guys are a great source of info-thanks for your comments, and
teaching me a few new things!
-Jamie

Old December 9th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Cirrus wrote:

[...]

Oils primary function is lubrication, not cooling. I'd be very
surprised if a radial engine could "fly home" if it lost its oil. The
bearings would seize from localized heating long before the rest of the
engine overheated.

Matt
Old December 9th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don

Check out http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Qu...0/engine9.html
a real radial. I've seen these running with the top of a cylinder
blown off and the only way to tell it was BMEP was a little low and
you could see it on the ingnition analyzer.

The biggest reason we all fly jets is without all those zillions of
reciprocating parts they are a hundred times more reliable.
Old December 9th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

The biggest radial engine topped out about 5000 cubic inches
and 4,000 horsepower in the late 1940. They were also about
3,000 to 5,000 pounds in weight with a prop installed.

Turbine engines are much lighter in weight and have 15,000
to 75,000 eshp in thrust, jumbo airliners and freighter are
only possible with the jet.

Old December 10th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don

Turbine engines are much lighter in weight and have 15,000
to 75,000 eshp in thrust, jumbo airliners and freighter are
only possible with the jet.

I tend to agree with you but -
http://www.globalaircraft.org/planes...bemaster_ii.pl

To get the size they are now you are correct, but the turbine engine
wasn't invented to build large aircraft. I think it was kerosene for
$.08 when they were paying $.15 for 140 octane and greatly reduced
maintenance costs that caused the airlines to park their DC-7s and
Connie's. Cost of operation drives everything in the airlines.

Cheers
Old December 10th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Greg Farris" wrote

Meanwhile - I've seen KingAir conversions replacing the PT6's with
water-cooled V8's!They make all kinds of claims for performance improvements.

Cool! Got any links?
--
Jim in NC
Old December 10th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

That and the smooth ride that passengers liked.