Point and Shoot Camera

Old May 19th 14, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

Default Point and Shoot Camera

So what is the collective wisdom for a decent P&S camera for the glider. I'm looking for something slightly better than my cell phone camera, but small enough to fit into my Libelle with my lard butt in there :-)

Thanks

Peter
Old May 19th 14, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, May 19, 2014 7:49:57 AM UTC-7, vontresc wrote:
So what is the collective wisdom for a decent P&S camera for the glider. I'm looking for something slightly better than my cell phone camera, but small enough to fit into my Libelle with my lard butt in there :-)

Thanks

Peter

I've been using a Canon 6d for a while and was happy with the camera EXCEPT that carrying it around in a glider could be a pain. Last month I bought a Samsung NX30. It's a lot smaller and lighter and take excellent pictures AND HD Video. There are smaller camera's you may want to look at but for $800, the NX30 is an outstanding camera. I have not tried it in a glider yet but will do so very soon
Old May 19th 14, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

I've had good luck with Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS/TZ series cameras (the $150-$350 line, not the low end they now market under similar model names). I currently have a ZS30 which is OK but not quite as ergonomic as their older models in the line. The newer ZS40 and similar models might be worth a look, though.

The bottom line is that you need something with Image Stabilization (preferably optical/physical stabilization). And if you're shooting Landscapes then you want something with a really wide field of view when zoomed out.

I often check out www.dpreview.com before buying a camera... Good stuff there.

Enjoy,

--Noel

Old May 19th 14, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

I really like the Canon Powershot G series cameras.

Good resolution. Lots of features. Common interface with other Canon cameras. The rear display is fully articulated so that you can easily take shots above your head, below your knees or "selfies". They also have (non-electronic) viewfinders which I find is a must-have - just not while flying!

I own a G12 which is no longer being sold but can be found on eBay. The G15 and G16 are direct replacements.

- John
Old May 19th 14, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

I should have mentioned that the Canon G series can shoot in RAW (3 modes: JPEG, RAW or JPEG+RAW).

Also, these are much smaller than SLRs (and things that look like SLRs) but they are thicker than cameras like the Lumix.

What they also have are some of the easy to access controls of SLRs (ISO, exposure offset, shutter and aperture priority, full manual, etc) without having to dig into menus like with P&S's (if even possible).

My $0.02.

- John
Old May 19th 14, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 19 May 2014 08:40:02 -0700, noel.wade wrote:

I often check out www.dpreview.com before buying a camera... Good stuff
there.

+1 for www.dpreview.com

I have a Pentax WG-1 that I'm very pleased with. I bought it with the
intention of using it in my Libelle too. Its benefit is that the lens is
entirely inside the camera body and doesn't extend in use, which means
that the camera can be mounted on the canopy rail, out of the way up
close to the perspex.

As a bonus, the camera is mildly ruggedised and is said to be waterproof
to 10m, so won't mind being dropped or getting caught in a rain shower.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old May 19th 14, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

I prefer oil paints to watercolors in the glider. Less running across the canvas in steep banks and no problems with water splashing the canopy in rough air.

Old May 19th 14, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You may want to consider a GoPro Hero 3. Yes it is more expensive...BUT
It is small and light.
It takes still photos as well as videos.
It can be triggered using your cell phone as a remote control so you can mount it on a wing and snap photos when you want.

Just a thought.