As heard on 123.3........

Old October 20th 20, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Metcalfe

Default As heard on 123.3........

At 20:11 20 October 2020, Martin Gregorie wrote:
At least he didn't copy Napoleon's on-the-way back message to
Josephine!

OK, I'll bite. What was Napoleon's message to Josephine??

Go here and scroll down past the photo of a letter he sent her. What
he wrote is definitely NSFW and probably not for here either:

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/...rte-josephine/

Martin is altogether too coy! The (reputed) message was
"Not tonight, Josephine!"
What I have heard for years is tactfully referred to by the
Chicago Tribune c.10 years ago:

"According to legend, French emperor Napoleon finished a military
campaign and wrote a love letter to empress Josephine that read,
«Ne te lave pa. Je reviens». (Don't bathe. I'm coming home)."

For those still in need of explanation, may I suggest that his
concern was that she should not smell too much of soap!
J.

Old October 20th 20, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 21:37:25 +0000, James Metcalfe wrote:

At 20:11 20 October 2020, Martin Gregorie wrote:
At least he didn't copy Napoleon's on-the-way back message to
Josephine!

OK, I'll bite. What was Napoleon's message to Josephine??

Go here and scroll down past the photo of a letter he sent her. What he
wrote is definitely NSFW and probably not for here either:

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/...rte-josephine/

Martin is altogether too coy! The (reputed) message was "Not tonight,
Josephine!"

Take a look at that URL and scroll down past the B&W image of a letter:
The message I meant is a whole lot more explicit than the rather innocent
"Not tonight Josephine", which, taken out of context, could have been
said in a Victorian drawing room. Additionally, that last well-known
message is, ahem, unlikely, given that Nappy was in Russia when he wrote
the letter in question while Josie was, or should have been, in Paris
(but she did get around a bit).

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old October 21st 20, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Metcalfe

At 22:24 20 October 2020, Martin Gregorie wrote:
...Take a look at that URL and scroll down past the B&W image of a letter:

The message I meant is a whole lot more explicit than the rather innocent

"Not tonight Josephine", which, taken out of context, could have been
said in a Victorian drawing room. Additionally, that last well-known
message is, ahem, unlikely, given that Nappy was in Russia when he
wrote the letter in question while Josie was, or should have been,
in Paris (but she did get around a bit).

I *did* scroll down!
Maybe you missed the irony of the part of my message which you
didn't quote ("...soap..."). Perhaps the irony was too subtle, but it
was as far as I was prepared to go, on a public forum.
J.

Old October 21st 20, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 11:32:10 +0000, James Metcalfe wrote:

I *did* scroll down!
Maybe you missed the irony of the part of my message which you didn't
quote ("...soap..."). Perhaps the irony was too subtle, but it was as
far as I was prepared to go, on a public forum.
J.

No, I got the 'soap' all right, but didn't think it was as NSFW as his
kissing sentence.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old October 21st 20, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 11:32:10 +0000, James Metcalfe wrote:

Maybe you missed the irony

Could also tie in with the differences between American and British
English, when I was working in NYC in the mid 70s, periodically I'd
notice these differences:

"Move your ass" was evidently an acceptable way for a New Yorker to ask
somebody to make room on a bench or sofa, but would be rude in London.

"Oh, bloody hell, Martin!" as a response to a (work) request to use a
different approach to a task is/was quite OK in London, but seemed to
strike New Yorkers as quite out of order.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old October 21st 20, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Metcalfe

At 12:44 21 October 2020, Martin Gregorie wrote:
Could also tie in with the differences between American and British
English, when I was working in NYC in the mid 70s, periodically I'd
notice these differences:

"Move your ass" was evidently an acceptable way for a New Yorker to ask
somebody to make room on a bench or sofa, but would be rude in

London.

"Oh, bloody hell, Martin!" as a response to a (work) request to use a
different approach to a task is/was quite OK in London, but seemed to
strike New Yorkers as quite out of order.

Well, you have the advantage over me there. But as an Englishman, it
was caution about possible cross-cultural differences (on a predominantly
American forum) which caused my reticence.
J.

Old October 21st 20, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 14:05:15 +0000, James Metcalfe wrote:

At 12:44 21 October 2020, Martin Gregorie wrote:
Could also tie in with the differences between American and British
English, when I was working in NYC in the mid 70s, periodically I'd
notice these differences:

"Move your ass" was evidently an acceptable way for a New Yorker to ask
somebody to make room on a bench or sofa, but would be rude in

London.

"Oh, bloody hell, Martin!" as a response to a (work) request to use a
different approach to a task is/was quite OK in London, but seemed to
strike New Yorkers as quite out of order.

Well, you have the advantage over me there. But as an Englishman, it
was caution about possible cross-cultural differences (on a
predominantly American forum) which caused my reticence.
J.

Snap!

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old October 21st 20, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 15:16:13 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

[...]

PS: Personally, I don't like gmail and other globally generic addresses
on NNTP because they cancel out a valuable way of working out where
somebody is from. They are almost as bad as using the .invalid TLD and
not setting up a sig line or two.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old October 25th 20, 10:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Hamilton

At 17:52 20 October 2020, Curt Lewis - 95 wrote:
At a regional practice day I was reporting to the CD on ground. He said

my
transmission was very weak. I repeated a few times with no

improvement.
My son/crew comes over the radio and says "Are you talking to your

water
tube again?". I was.
Curt Lewis - 95

I'm sure many of you remember Trudy and Gren Seibels. Gren's call sign
was "Tango Tango" and Trudy was "Squaredance".

Jimmy Hamilton
H4

Old October 26th 20, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At a contest in Region V, i.e., southeastern United States. It was either at Cordele or Perry:

Glider pilot: "Towplane, 5 knots faster, please."
Tow Pilot "Which towplane?"
Glider pilot: "The Pawnee."
Tow Pilot: "Which Pawnee?"
Glider pilot: "The white one."
Tow Pilot: "Which white one?"

There were at least four white Pawnees towing at the contest, all of which had visible identifying letters/numbers. They finally figured out which towplane should fly a little faster.

Ray
W8

Heard on 123.3 PMSC Member Soaring 2 June 27th 08 01:47 AM
Heard on the air Roy Smith General Aviation 0 January 19th 07 03:03 AM
Heard on the air Jon Woellhaf Piloting 1 January 29th 05 02:45 AM
Anyone Heard anything about this ... john smith Piloting 0 January 1st 05 06:20 PM
Don't think I've ever heard that one before Paul Tomblin Piloting 7 November 11th 03 09:11 PM