Anyone know how to update an old Loran database?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 29th 03, 05:12 AM
Tom Jackson

Default Anyone know how to update an old Loran database?

I have looked around on the 'net, and cannot find any reference to being
able to update an old Apollo loran database (like can be done with the
modern GPS units.)

I have an Apollo 604, with the latest update (1999, I think.)

It seems to me, that there must be some tech-wizards out there who could
figure out how to update such an animal -- i.e., there are a number of
places to get the "data" (FAA, DAFIF, etc.) - is there a way to configure it
in a file on a PC, then through some sort of interface upload it to the
"Flybrary"?

I think the Flybrary is probably some sort of EPROM (eraseable, programmable
read-only memory) that should be capable of being updated, if one understood
the protocol, data formats, physical connections, etc.

On the surface, this sounds doable - is it merely a pipe-dream?

At least, it could be a fun project for someone over these fine winter
months!

Project update Dave Hyde Home Built 7 October 19th 03 02:45 PM
Anybody Still Use Loran? Larry Smith Home Built 4 October 4th 03 05:06 AM
Me262 Update CS_Mike Home Built 2 September 10th 03 07:19 AM
2nd update on Review of Plasma II Ignition System MikeremlaP Home Built 8 July 22nd 03 01:37 AM