SSA "Where to Fly" Map

Old August 16th 18, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Giaco

Default SSA "Where to Fly" Map

Is the SSA's "Where to fly" map updated regularly? There seem to be a number of clubs that are shown on the site with old and bad links and no recent history on google, at least in the last few years....

Specifically, i was trying to figure out if Iroquois soaring Association or Saratoga Soaring Association are still in existence...

Either answer is appreciated
Thanks
G7
Old August 16th 18, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 9:11:13 PM UTC-4, Giaco wrote:
Is the SSA's "Where to fly" map updated regularly? There seem to be a number of clubs that are shown on the site with old and bad links and no recent history on google, at least in the last few years....

Specifically, i was trying to figure out if Iroquois soaring Association or Saratoga Soaring Association are still in existence...

Either answer is appreciated
Thanks
G7

Saratoga Soaring is not a viable flying entity. At Saratoga Airport however there is "Adirondack Soaring", a vigorous and active club. I don't know about Iroquois.
Old August 16th 18, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

The other thing I have found for sites in the past is.......the SSA map had the "location" of the contact, not the operation. I used to travel a lot and would use the map to find places I could fly at while on the road. One was just north of Denver, CO. Then again, that was probably 4 years ago, no clue if they updated the info. If you looked up he address, you were firmly n the middle of a housing development, an airport was a few miles away.
I doubt they were winch launching in the development......LOL......
Old August 16th 18, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 7:11:13 PM UTC-6, Giaco wrote:
Is the SSA's "Where to fly" map updated regularly? There seem to be a number of clubs that are shown on the site with old and bad links and no recent history on google, at least in the last few years....

Specifically, i was trying to figure out if Iroquois soaring Association or Saratoga Soaring Association are still in existence...

Either answer is appreciated
Thanks
G7

Sometimes the SSA doesn't know of a changed status or of a relocation. A few soaring groups have opted out of being SSA clubs and chapter (100% SSA membership) thus have vanished from the map. Each year when a club or chapter renews, they are sent information sheets to complete and return. Some never do complete those. Most are diligent. It seems when leadership churns, some things may fall through the cracks. In a few cases, members of clubs need to think about churning their leadership. SSA did establish a Soaring Associate category so that we could keep active organizations on the map if they couldn't/wouldn't maintain 100% SSA membership and provide the SSA with a member roster. That has been both accepted and ignored. Things get updated as the SSA becomes aware of a change.

I don't recall Colorado Soaring Association ever listing an incorrect address though the road was renamed about four years ago and physical address changed. There were some 35-acre (minimum size to build) residential plats established to the north a few years ago. we're still winch launching about 70 miles north of Denver.

Frank Whiteley
Old August 16th 18, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bret Hess

A year ago I needed updates for the Utah listings, and emailed . They took care of the updates very quickly, so I encourage any updates to be sent there.

Bret
Old August 16th 18, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I am pretty sure that if updated info is supplied, they would update the map. They're good, but not that good to guess about updates.

As an aside, I remember emailing SSA when the map first went up. I thanked them and told them to pass that on to whomever worked on it.
Old August 17th 18, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Iroquois soaring is alive and well flying out of Hamilton airport upstate Ny. email me for contact info at cliffhilty (at) netzero dot net.
Old August 17th 18, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 08/16/2018 02:49 PM, Bret Hess wrote:
A year ago I needed updates for the Utah listings, and emailed . They took care of the updates very quickly, so I encourage any updates to be sent there.

Bret

Somewhat related, I've seen phone numbers in the Membership Locator
section that were 20 years out of date. Might be a good time for
everyone to check the accuracy of their contact info.