IPAQ 4700/4705

Old January 25th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default IPAQ 4700/4705

I've been shopping these on eBay lately. For the time being, the
selling prices I've seen lead me to think buying new is the best
option.

I was wondering if anyone has seen one of these up close and personal.
One review I read said that it was difficult to use without the stylus.
In the air, that sounds like a deal killer. Does anyone have any
experience with these units?

Doug

Old January 25th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Doug,

I used a 39xx series in '04 and a 4705 in '05. I love the 4705. I don't
find it to be a bit harder to use in flight than the 39xx. Spend the
money, it's worth it.

~ted/2NO

Old January 25th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The 4705 has a slightly brighter screen. It's also 4" diagonal (the
39xx is 3.5" or 3.8", I forget which), and the 4705 is VGA resolution,
480x640 where the 39xx is 240x320. The 4705 case is also slightly less
bulky, despite the larger screen size. The higher resolution makes it
easier to read.

Old January 26th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

HP appears to have discontinued the Ipaq 4700/4705 and this Ipaq no longer
is listed as available on the HP web site. Hopefully a replacement is
imminent.
Doug C
ups.com...

Old January 26th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi,

I'm not sure whether to believe the person I talked to at HP, but he told me
that a large batch of them was due in at the end of January. They have been
in high demand and hard to get for about 1 month now.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Doug Cline" wrote in message
HP appears to have discontinued the Ipaq 4700/4705 and this Ipaq no longer
is listed as available on the HP web site. Hopefully a replacement is
imminent.
Doug C
ups.com...

Old January 26th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A photo of my panel with the 4705 he

http://www.asa-soaring.org/images/front/pic1.jpg

Old January 28th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi,

For a while the hx4700 iPAQs were tough to get, but a new batch appears to
have arrived. PC Connection just shipped 2 units to me for customers.

Good Soaring,

"Doug Cline" wrote in message
HP appears to have discontinued the Ipaq 4700/4705 and this Ipaq no longer
is listed as available on the HP web site. Hopefully a replacement is
imminent.
Doug C
ups.com...

Old January 30th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Having used it for one year - The 4700 is brilliant - apart from a poorly
readable display in bright sun (even with anti-glare and full backlight !).
My old 3800 had a better outdoor display (but was also much slower ...)

Jean

Old January 31st 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have no intentions of upgrading my iPAQ 3835 to any newer model
simply because its display is easier to read than the newer technology.
The display's visibility improves as the ambient light becomes brighter
(just the opposite of the transflective displays used on newer models).
I NEVER use backlighting when flying.

The 3835 can be purchased for less than $100 on eBay.