Any PIREPS: Fredericksburg, Texas area?

Old March 18th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Highflyer

Default Any PIREPS: Fredericksburg, Texas area?

"Dan" wrote in message
On Mar 17, 2:16 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:
wrote:
Coopers is one of the "close seconds".

Nobody in Texas beats the BBQ of the original "City Market" in Luling,
TX (just southeast of San Marcos)

*Nobody* in Texas?

Hmmm...that's a bold claim.

The City Market is the best I've found, I'll say that much.

You're making me homesick. Barbeque in Alabama --or anywhere else I've
had
it in the Deep South-- is a sad joke.

--
Dan

T-182T at 4R4

Surely you don't mean to impugn the honor of that wonderful concoction
known as Carolina BBQ???

Dan Mc

Everyone knows the BEST BBQ of all it at the rec.aviation flyin in
Pinckneyville, Illinois. This annual bash is May 16, 17, and 18th this
year. For some feel of what the flyin is like see the faq at
http://www.ousterhout.net/pjy-faq.html . If you plan to drop in this year
drop Mary an email at so she knows how many groceries to
buy.

Highflyer
Highflight Aviation Services
Pinckneyville Airport PJY

Old March 19th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:
Coopers is one of the "close seconds".

Nobody in Texas beats the BBQ of the original "City Market" in Luling,
TX *(just southeast of San Marcos)

*Nobody* in Texas?

Hmmm...that's a bold claim.

The City Market is the best I've found, I'll say that much.

You're making me homesick. *Barbeque in Alabama --or anywhere else I've had
it in the Deep South-- is a sad joke.

--
Dan

T-182T at 4R4

Surely you don't mean to impugn the honor of that wonderful concoction
known as Carolina BBQ???

Dan Mc- Hide quoted text -

I believe he has.
Old March 20th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Dan" wrote:

Surely you don't mean to impugn the honor of that wonderful concoction
known as Carolina BBQ???

I cannot offer direct testimony, your honor: never had it there.

Judging by Alabama and Georgia BBQ, I don't have high hopes for the Carolina
version, but I am willing to be convinced it's fit to eat. You buying? ;^)

My problem with Deep South BBQ is that it's based on pork. Hell, *anybody*
can make pig taste good. It take real artistry to turn a beef brisket into
something delectable to eat. And don't get me started about that thin,
vinegary sauce they use down here...

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old March 20th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Highflyer" wrote:

Everyone knows the BEST BBQ of all it at the rec.aviation flyin in
Pinckneyville, Illinois.

You said a mouthful, John!

Old March 20th 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 20, 12:34 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:
"Dan" wrote:

Surely you don't mean to impugn the honor of that wonderful concoction
known as Carolina BBQ???

I cannot offer direct testimony, your honor: never had it there.

Judging by Alabama and Georgia BBQ, I don't have high hopes for the Carolina
version, but I am willing to be convinced it's fit to eat. You buying? ;^)

My problem with Deep South BBQ is that it's based on pork. Hell, *anybody*
can make pig taste good. It take real artistry to turn a beef brisket into
something delectable to eat. And don't get me started about that thin,
vinegary sauce they use down here...

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

I'll buy -- there's a place south of Dahlgren, VA that's a converted
garage (Crazy Rays) that makes awesome Carolina style -- and yes, with
the vinegar based sauce.

I'll agree that most pork BBQ is a transport mechanism for the desired
sauce.

I've found brisket is hard to get consistent, even from very good BBQ
places. There's a place in Corpus Christi (Motorheads?) that has
awesome brisket -- until the last time I was there.

Too many variables, I suppose.

Dan Mc

Old March 20th 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

wrote:

"Nobody (period) beats the BBQ of the original "City Market" in
Luling, TX"

;-)

Maybe. Have you tried 'em *all* in Texas? How about Carl's at EYQ in
Houston?

I've heard rumors that barely passable BBQ can be had in Kansas City. Can
any Texans here confirm or deny?

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old March 20th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Dan" wrote:

I'll buy -- there's a place south of Dahlgren, VA that's a converted
garage (Crazy Rays) that makes awesome Carolina style -- and yes, with
the vinegar based sauce.

I'll agree that most pork BBQ is a transport mechanism for the desired
sauce.

I've found brisket is hard to get consistent, even from very good BBQ
places. There's a place in Corpus Christi (Motorheads?) that has
awesome brisket -- until the last time I was there.

Too many variables, I suppose.

Truth. A lot of the art is in choosing the "canvas."

If you're ever flying to Houston, make a stop at EYQ. Carl's BBQ is right
by the approach end of RWY 9 and a good place to munch a fine plate of beef
while watching landings.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old March 20th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 20, 4:11 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:

If you're ever flying to Houston, make a stop at EYQ. Carl's BBQ is right
by the approach end of RWY 9 and a good place to munch a fine plate of beef
while watching landings.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

I will have to plan on that -- I can think of nothing finer than
watching airplanes and eating good BBQ, all at the same time.

Dan Mc