Glider Crash - Minden?

Old September 10th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
588

Default Glider Crash - Minden?

Mike Schumann wrote:

I don't share your confidence in your ability to avoid a Hawker.
Not only do you have to luck out and see him in time, but you
need to be able to tell exactly where he is going compared to
your airspace, not only if he continues on a straight path, but
also if he sees you and tries to maneuver.

I don't have as much confidence in my ability to avoid a Hawker as I
would like to have. But I do have more confidence in that than in my
ability to "dodge a bullet", or a baseball, which are the comparisons I
made in response to another poster's implication that there was little
difference between a Hawker and a bullet. There is more to it than a
comparison of numbers, but if you are going to compare the numbers then
compare all of them -- and while doing so, season it all with a bit of
common sense, and experience, to ferret out the reality with which we
must deal in the cockpit.

As far as "lucking out", I'm sure the harder I work the luckier I will
get when it comes to spotting traffic. I continue to advocate the PCAS
as one way to enhance that process, and there are others. If you run
right out and install a transponder -- and I think you should -- I will
know where you are. You won't know where I am but that apparently
doesn't bother you, so I will take care of both of us if I can.

You say you can't judge closure. Yes, it does get harder the faster
everybody is moving and the smaller is the target. I must ask you then,
how have you survived this long? Or have you? I've been assuming here
that you have some flight time. Either you and Yuliy have never seen
another aircraft in the sky or you both have been extremely fortunate
in that the other pilot, or the big-sky concept, saved you. Because,
according to each of you, the problem of judging closure is
insurmountable. Please, stay at home if that is the case for you.

If you wish to have a realistic learning process take place here (and I
hope to benefit from it) then we are going to have to deal with
specifics, and with outcomes. You know, those unintended consequence
things; those unanticipated little complications and inadequacies that
make the best planned lays go away.

The best strategy is to get and use a transponder so you never
get close to this situation.

Apparently, you know of a transponder which will erect an impenetrable
shield around your aircraft. I hadn't heard of it.

But, I hope you do get a transponder, because I'm sure it will help in
some situations. And please let us know if you gain some insight into
the other 90 % of the traffic avoidance problem, because that will still
exist. You are failing to address the other 90% when you put all your
faith in a transponder.

If we are not willing to understand the whole problem of traffic
avoidance, if we do not believe it can be done without ceding control of
our flight to another entity, which is the only way that
Universal-Transponderism by itself can work, then we have no business
getting into a cockpit. Ultimately, we are saying that our sport cannot
survive. Psychiatrists should have a field day with all of that.

As I pointed out with a comparison of numbers in my response to Yuliy,
the problem of visual traffic avoidance is substantial, but not
impossible. What it takes to make it work has already been discussed
here ad infinitum, occasionally by knowledgeable posters, but still
hasn't gotten through to some. There is no way to replace the human eye,
and the motivation to use it and all the other tools available to the
pilot, by a simple reliance on technology and central control.

So let's take it one step at a time. Explain to us, if you don't mind,
what will be the result of every glider having a working transponder. A
simple question, no?

Jack

"588" wrote in message
m...
Yuliy Gerchikov wrote:

That's precisely the problem: exactly what volume of air do I need to
exit?

Only that volume of air (the size of your glider) through which the
traffic is about to pass. Quite small, really.

At those distances and rates of closure it is very difficult to estimate
the point of impact in 3D, especially given the extremely limited time
for decision.

Difficult? Limited? Relative to what?

No ball game that I know comes close to the order of magnitude of
parameters that we deal with here.

Then you don't know Baseball.

If you'd ever stood in the batter's box and had a good pitcher throw a
fast ball high and inside, and then compared that experience with a
high speed closure with another aircraft, you'd find that the numbers
don't really tell the story. No number can describe the actual
experience -- you just have to be there, in the game or in the cockpit.

But if you do prefer numbers, here they a at 420 kts closure with
another aircraft (708.8667 fps) from only 1/2 nm out (3038 feet) you have
a leisurely period of 4.2857 seconds which you can use to avoid impact;
compare this with the release of the baseball from the pitcher's hand at
considerably less than the nominal 60' 6" to the plate (but call it 60
feet) at 90 mph (132 fps, and 13 mph SLOWER than the fastest
recorded pitch) which gives you 0.4545 seconds until impact (hopefully
with your bat and not your head). If this gives you renewed respect for
Ted Williams (life time batting average .344) as a baseball player as well
as a fighter pilot, that's good too. Of course, we need to bat 1.000 when
it comes to traffic avoidance, but even with only 0.5 nm separation at 420
kts we have almost ten times as long as we would when standing in the
batter's box to decide what to do, and make our move.

I assume you have already found out that you can hear a powered
aircraft from the cockpit of your glider. You can hear that baseball
coming too, which adds to the fun. And, you will remember that sound also,
but only if the ball misses your head.

This is closer to dodging bullets than it
is to any ball game.

At a muzzle velocity of 860 fps, the .45 pistol bullet is traveling at
509.5458 kts, or about 21% faster than the aircraft in this example.
However, it has a diameter of 0.45 inch whereas the cross section of the
Hawker 800XP is a 2-3 meter oval, sans wings and tail. Not at all
comparable. I'll take the Hawker 800XP challenge at a half mile every time
over the .45 ACP challenge at 20 paces. YMMV. As for the baseball, at
~three inches in diameter, it's a better deal than the 230 gr FMJ, but the
Hawker 800XP is still the easiest of all to deal with, by far.

None of these three "sports" is for the indecisive, or the feint of heart.
The advantage is very definitely to the observant, the trained, and the
confidant. One must deal successfully with the numbers, and the
experience -- and it can be done.

Jack

Old September 11th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

There are no perfect solutions. A transponder will not help you avoid the
vast majority of VFR traffic. It will help IFR traffic see you and stay
away. I have never claimed anything more.

I'm just pragmatic about the limitations of see and avoid. Converging
traffic can be very difficult to see, particularly if it is overtaking you
from behind. I'm not disputing that having a PCAS type of device would be
helpful.

Mike Schumann

"588" wrote in message
Mike Schumann wrote:

[...]

"588" wrote in message
m...

Old September 11th 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Mike Schumann wrote:
There are no perfect solutions. A transponder will not help you avoid the
vast majority of VFR traffic.

I wonder about this. Does anyone have an idea what percentage of the VFR
airplanes carry a transponder detector, including the low cost units?
I'd guess a majority of them do, but I haven't seen any numbers. If so,
then a transponder would help you avoid (indirectly, since they would be
doing the actual "avoiding") the majority of VFR traffic.

Locally, two gliders have PCAS/transponders, 2 have transponders only, 1
has PCAS only, and two have neither. Of course, we all have radios and
track each other that way.

--
Note: email address new as of 9/4/2006

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

"Transponders in Sailplanes" on the Soaring Safety Foundation website
www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

I fly a fair number of single engine VFR and IFR aircraft throughout
the year. My personal experience is that I have yet to flown one that
had any sort of Transponder Detector. I have talked to a couple pilots
that would like to get one, but have yet to actually do so. So my
personal experience is that very few VFR Single engine aircraft carry a
Transponder Detector. On the other hand very few of these aircraft fly
above 10,000 ft on a regular basis as well.

Brian Case
CFIIG/ASEL

Old September 11th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

During the last year or so, Garman was selling quite a few Mode S
Transponders to people who already had their Moving Map GPS systems. With
TIS, you got the benefit of seeing traffic on your display.

A number of months ago, the FAA announced that they were phasing out TIS as
they install new radars. As a result, the interest in Mode S transponders
in the GA market has dried up. Now, to get this capability, you have to
wait for ADS-B, which the FAA is taking their sweet time deploying.

Once ADS-B becomes universally deployed and affordable, I suspect you will
start seeing a lot of VFR pilots who will have the able to see ADS-B and
transponder equiped aircraft.

Mike Schumann

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Old September 11th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Yuliy Gerchikov

"588" wrote in message
m...
No ball game that I know comes close to the order of magnitude of
parameters that we deal with here.

Then you don't know Baseball.

In fact, I don't, indeed. So thanks for the numbers.

Now, if only all Hawkers were *coming* from a very well defined -- and known
in advance -- point in space (as pitcher's throw is defined by human body
mechanics), and *going* into a similarly well defined box in space, our job
would be easy.

Imagine that the pitcher can be ANYWHERE around you in 3D, and that he is
invisible -- you don't see him when he throws, only the ball and only once
it is speeding SOMEWHERE towards you. Now, bat!

I assume you have already found out that you can hear a powered
aircraft from the cockpit of your glider.

Nope -- never been close enough, I guess. I doubt it, however, given that
(1) bizjets are amazingly quiet, (2) bizjets descending at flight idle are
quieter yet, and (3) the wind noise is very noticeable even in the best of
the modern gliders. So I would not rely on hearing. Funny, BTW, that in a
parallel thread somebody is suggesting earplugs .

Old September 12th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Natalie

Eric Greenwell wrote:

I wonder about this. Does anyone have an idea what percentage of the VFR
airplanes carry a transponder detector, including the low cost units?
I'd guess a majority of them do, but I haven't seen any numbers.

I would think it is actually a tiny fraction. Of all the planes I've
seen or been in over the past year, I can recall only seeing one of
these devices. On the other hand I've been in several with TIS and
one with ADS-B, but even that is a small percentage of the total.
Old September 12th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Ron Natalie wrote:
Eric Greenwell wrote:

I wonder about this. Does anyone have an idea what percentage of the
VFR airplanes carry a transponder detector, including the low cost
units? I'd guess a majority of them do, but I haven't seen any numbers.

I would think it is actually a tiny fraction. Of all the planes I've
seen or been in over the past year, I can recall only seeing one of
these devices. On the other hand I've been in several with TIS and
one with ADS-B, but even that is a small percentage of the total.

Do you suppose these pilots are using flight following, and decided a
PCAS unit wouldn't improve their odds any? They seem cheap and
plentiful, and airplanes usually fly where there are other airplanes,
all with transponders.

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old September 12th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

When I was flying power cross countries, I would always try to use flight
following. Unfortunately, most VFR traffic is probably pretty localized
where pilots wouldn't necessarily be doing this.

It's really too bad that the FAA is phasing out TIS. I suspect that almost
everyone who is buying or upgrading to a glass cockpit or even a Garman 430
/ 530 would have taken a really hard look at springing the extra $3-4K for a
Mode S transponder to get the traffic info.

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Old September 13th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
588

Yuliy Gerchikov wrote:

Now, if only all Hawkers were *coming* from a very well defined -- and known
in advance -- point in space (as pitcher's throw is defined by human body
mechanics), and *going* into a similarly well defined box in space, our job
would be easy.

No, it wouldn't be "easy" -- it also wouldn't be as difficult as has
been claimed. The problem may be that we have not separated the
process into its constituent parts: 1) find the traffic; 2) avoid the
traffic. Finding the traffic is the most difficult. Avoiding it depends
on finding it before it gets so close that you don't have time to avoid.

The only traffic you must be concerned with is that which is "going
into a similarly well defined box in space" -- your aircraft. Your
cockpit is the batters box, the plate is all of your aircraft which you
must protect, to continue the baseball analogy (probably overworked by now).

So how are we going to find the traffic in time to avoid it? In ALL
cases, by using our eyes. Whether we are initially alerted by some
electronic tool, a radio message, another crew member, or by our own
visual scan, we still must have acquired the traffic visually before we
can determine the proper response. The exception to this today is TCAS,
which is currently beyond our reach.

With the availability of inexpensive PCAS devices, the complaints about
the steep cost/benefit ratio of any proposed transponder mandate are
less convincing. If all aircraft carry operating mode-C transponders
_and_ PCAS/TCAS devices, then virtually all aircraft posing a potential
collision hazard will be identifiable to all other aircraft.

I assume you have already found out that you can hear a powered
aircraft from the cockpit of your glider.

Nope -- never been close enough, I guess. I doubt it, however, given that
(1) bizjets are amazingly quiet, (2) bizjets descending at flight idle are
quieter yet, and (3) the wind noise is very noticeable even in the best of
the modern gliders. So I would not rely on hearing.

For a guy who has never been close enough to hear another aircraft (or
is it only a bizjet?), you are very sensitive to the possibility of a
midair. Would that more people were. I wouldn't know about "modern
gliders", but from the cockpit of my 1-26, a type not noted for its
inherent silence, I can sometimes hear other gliders with whom I share a
thermal. Mentioning sound doesn't mean that I expect it to be a useful
collision avoidance device, however.

If we identify which phase of the traffic avoidance problem we are
addressing, we will probably find we have very few points of disagreement.

Jack

VQ-1's P4M-1Q crash off China - 1956 Mike Naval Aviation 0 May 6th 06 11:13 PM
Yet another A36 crash H.P. Piloting 10 April 23rd 05 05:58 PM
Seniors Contest Bob Fidler Soaring 68 March 17th 05 04:50 AM
Sport Pilot - School Won't Offer Gary G Piloting 38 February 16th 05 11:41 AM
Announce/USA: FAA Glider Flying Handbook / Bob Wander SoarBooks Soaring 0 August 11th 03 03:55 PM