Check my flights, please

Old September 11th 06, 07:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Thomas

Default Check my flights, please

Use your powers for good. Al and Ramy, anybody, could
you use your fancy software to look at my traces? You
will see me bust 18 once in while but that is because
I use a Garmin consumer product. I never go above 17,500
‘cause I know the thing is a piece of $%^@ but it still
happens once in while. Vent open, cold temps, who knows.

But could you tell me what I can do to get more miles?
I am taking off early, even cutting in front of Al
at launch I fly until one minute before sunset,
but I am hitting a brick wall at 500k. Can your fancy
software figure out if I am flying too slow, too fast,
too dumb?

Old September 11th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Nick Thomas wrote:
Use your powers for good. Al and Ramy, anybody, could
you use your fancy software to look at my traces? You
will see me bust 18 once in while but that is because
I use a Garmin consumer product. I never go above 17,500
'cause I know the thing is a piece of $%^@ but it still
happens once in while. Vent open, cold temps, who knows.

The Garmin only logs GPS altitude. Take a look at most OLC flights and
there are two altitude lines. One is GPS and the other is pressure.
The GPS (black) one is almost always several hundred feet higher.

As has been mentioned in other threads:
If your trace shows anomalies, then all you need to do is explain
yourself in the comments if indeed you were not in volation of FAR.

-Tom

Who watched the sun sinking through the haze on the horizon then
spiralled down to land a couple minutes before sunset ths Saturday.

Old September 12th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
588

5Z wrote:

The Garmin only logs GPS altitude. Take a look at most OLC flights and
there are two altitude lines. One is GPS and the other is pressure.
The GPS (black) one is almost always several hundred feet higher.

What "the" Garmin does in your case I leave to you to determine. My
Garmin GPSMAP 76S logs baro altitude (green line) unless I turn the
altimeter function "off", and then it logs GPS altitude (black line).
That's the way it shows on the OLC pages, and it corresponds to the way
I set it up. Normally I just let it use baro, though. It does not show
both, only one or the other.

The real loggers (IGC approved = expensive) all seem to record both baro
and GPS altitude (green and black lines) for the OLC charts.

What the 76S is actually doing inside I don't know, and I don't care.
Class A altitude busts are the least of my worries: I fly in IL where
the state freaking record for altitude is ~16,000 damn feet.

It's still raining.

Jack

OLC scoring - USA Ian Cant Soaring 18 November 29th 05 07:43 PM
Must see video Raptor and Mustang heritage flights Mutts Piloting 3 November 25th 05 04:12 PM
fuel subsidies for Angle Flight pilots sashley Piloting 17 September 11th 05 09:25 AM
Fuel selector or two check valves? Rob Turk Home Built 13 July 1st 05 12:21 AM