I want my SSA

Old September 10th 06, 02:59 AM
John Schaffer John Schaffer is offline
Junior Member

[quote=Bill Daniels]OK, everybody gets a vote - mine is for Denver. Several active clubs,
hundreds of local glider pilots, great soaring year 'round, located near the
geographic center of the USA and with good airline connections.

Bill Daniels

I also vote for Colorado - Preferebly North of Denver. Sign me up as the first volunteer

I can give approximately 2 weeks per month.

John
DG-300 "XLT"
Old September 10th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default I want my SSA

bumper wrote:
Minden! Minden! Oh, Pick Minden!!!

Minden. Phoenix. Tehachapi. Prudhoe Bay. McMurdo Station.
ANYWHERE BUT CHICAGO!

Don't let anyone ever reward Chicago with anything aviation related,
after that fiasco with that goomba daley and Meigs Field.

Old September 11th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RL

Being located in Hobbs, NM is a major contributor to the general
inefficiencies of SSA let alone the serious mistakes. I would suggest
the previous posts might be missing the point. It's irrelevant that
SSA HQ be located in a good soaring location; and it's slightly less
relevant that it's in a central location. What is vitally important
is that it is located in an area where it can draw on professional
association talent. That means the general Washington, DC area or
surrounding locals. Washington is the center of the universe for
associations. Having 30 highly qualified applicants for each position,
plus easy availability to critical association resources, would put SSA
miles ahead. A move into the concentrated heart of the association
world would be the best thing the members could ever demand.

Bob

Old September 12th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Why do we need a corporate headquarters at all? Why not conduct all
business over the Internet and let the (few) employees needed to run
the business work from home? Most of the business functions of the
organization can be subcontracted out at far less cost than we are
incurring now. Everything from a receptionist to payroll to order
fullfillment. Conference rooms are readily available at all hotels at a
reasonable cost. Meet in the city for the people attending. Or better
yet, have a Net meeting and avoid all of the travel costs. Plus the
sale of the building could go a long way toward getting the SSA out of
debt.

Tom Seim
Richland, WA

Old September 12th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Tom, you make a eloquent argument against the "edifice complex" that has
plagued so many organizations. The organization is not the building nor is
the building the organization. Broadband internet makes communication and
collaborative tasks vastly better and cheaper that anything possible when
the Hobbs site was selected. I use internet based VoIP and
videoconferencing and prefer it to physical travel.
However, allow me to become the "devils advocate" for a moment. There are
many outsiders who will first ask, "who are you guys and what do you do?" A
headquarters in a real building on a soaring site where one could point out
the window to answer that question would be a real asset. Many of these
visitors might be people who could help us if the headquarters were located
near places they pass through anyway.

I don't know exactly where that magical building site is but I note that the
AOPA is in Frederick, MD on an GA airport near Washington, DC and the EAA is
located on their "Aviation Center" campus in Oshkosh, WI. Putting the SSA
on a year-'round world class soaring site near some international crossroads
might have some advantages.

Bill Daniels

oups.com...

Old September 12th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

You're headquarters could easily be a rent-an-office in Washington DC that
shares a conference room and receptionist with 20 other associations.

Mike Schumann

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote in message
. ..
[...]

oups.com...

Old September 13th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bill Daniels wrote:
[...]

Yeah, that old "nesting instinct" rears its ugly head, pushing us into
making irrational decisions. In reality, our public persona is really
our web site. Have you ever been to the SSA headquarters? I haven't and
don't intend to in the foreseeable future.

The SSA is in dire circumstances requiring an equally dire response. I
admit that I am thinking "outside of the box" here, but it is
definitely worthy of consideration.

Tom

Old September 13th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Cant

Without wishing to throw out the fresh thought, it
might be well-advised to be very cautious before abandoning
the physical headquarters concept. A main contributor
to the present debacle would appear to be that nobody
on the Board, and very few ordinary members, was ever
in the office to see what happened day to day. Cat's
away, mice play. An internet-distributed office might
be an even harder situation to supervize.

Has anyone had any first-hand experience at actually
running such a 'virtual' headquarters ? How did it
work out in practice ? What sort of safeguards were
used to ensure productivity and financial integrity
were maintained ?

My own limited experience with teleconferencing suggested
that it was lousy for management purposes, but very
effective for engineering. Things that can be reduced
to hard numbers can be disseminated easily; anything
that has human factors or personalities involved tends
not to travel well through the ether. Or perhaps I'm
just a reactionary old fuddy-duddy on this.

Ian

Old September 13th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This whole discussion is amusing given that the SSA has proven that it
can't even perform the most basic functions required of an
organization. There was no oversight, no accountability and hundreds
of thousands of dollars are gone.

What amazes me is how many people here seem to see this mess as just a
normal bump in the road.

Before any discussion of relocating can take place, I think that it
would be wise to first see if there will be any organization left to
relocate.

Old September 13th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
588

Ian Cant wrote:

Things that can be reduced
to hard numbers can be disseminated easily; anything
that has human factors or personalities involved tends
not to travel well through the ether. Or perhaps I'm
just a reactionary old fuddy-duddy on this.

You're spot-on. We demonstrate that truth here every day.

Jack