A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Piloting
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

How do weather services get sky conditions above the surface?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old July 25th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
gatt[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 156
Default How do weather services get sky conditions above the surface?

Joeseph P. Blow wrote:

You'll never see a post by MX, Bertie, or Max, nor will you ever see a
response to them.



Wow, neat! You'll be a ****ing censor!


You would be free to choose not to participate to his terms of use.

Other people would participate. I'm positive you've heard of moderated
forums.

You'll also never see a post by a spammer, unless a known poster decides to
spam, or if I decide it's not really spam.


Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.


Or maybe you haven't.

-c
Ads
  #72  
Old July 25th 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,735
Default How do weather services get sky conditions above the surface?

gatt wrote in
:

Joeseph P. Blow wrote:

You'll never see a post by MX, Bertie, or Max, nor will you ever see
a response to them.



Wow, neat! You'll be a ****ing censor!


You would be free to choose not to participate to his terms of use.

Other people would participate. I'm positive you've heard of
moderated forums.

You'll also never see a post by a spammer, unless a known poster
decides to spam, or if I decide it's not really spam.


Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.


Or maybe you haven't.


Believe me, it'd never work. no chance.


Bertie


  #73  
Old July 25th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 803
Default How do weather services get sky conditions above the surface?

On Jul 26, 5:28 am, Benjamin Dover wrote:

The $40 per year keeeps Anthony out.


I've got Greasemonkey for free and it keeps the Anthony burble in here
down to them as laugh at him ...
  #74  
Old July 25th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
hwf[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 41
Default How do weather services get sky conditions above the surface?

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
hwأf wrote in
news
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 01:27:31 +0000, Bertie the Bunyip aided th'

terraists
with the following claims :

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

§ñühwØ£f writes:

I would a55ume that they have planes in the air at some point and

the
aircraft report the ceiling height of teh clouds and then they
estimate windspeed from observaton stations on the ground.
I'm just guessing. I knew a weather observer once.

That makes sense. I wonder how they estimate things like heights

and
distances, though. I suppose experience would help to come up

with
educated guesses for these, but one might still be way off.

Certainly
experience would be useful in recognizing specific cloud types and
patterns.

One article I read (I think it was Wikipedia) mentioned just ten
radiosondes for the entire Caribbean, that's hardly what I'd call
high-resolution measurement. You could almost fit a hurricane

between
radiosondes.


You are an idiot.

Bertie


Maybe they use dopplar radar to tell the height of the clouds, eh?
Otherwise I assume some sort of math involving triangulation and

other
difficult things.



Nah, it's easy. They compare the temperature to the dewpoint add in th
edry adiabatic lapse rate and voila, you get the cloudbase.
Observation
is used for terminal areas, otherwise, though, it's still done the old
fashioned way for the most part. These days, al info is mixed
together,
whihc gives a much better actual and forecasting capability.

bertie


Are you an ex weather observer or summat? I had a friend who was ex USAF
weather observer then he got a job in elko doing weather observation &
moved
He was always talking about clouds & stuff trying to explain what was
happening up there...
  #75  
Old July 25th 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
hwf[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 41
Default An nntp of my very own!

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
hwأf wrote in
news
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 20:09:39 +0000, Bertie the Bunyip aided th'

terraists
with the following claims :

"Steve Foley" wrote in
news:[email protected]:

"Morgans" wrote in message
...

I'm glad for your amusement, but do you think your amusement is

worth
the dismantling of one of the (previously) most useful forums on
aviation, by aviators?

If you think that it is worth it, then you have too high of a

value
placed on your own entertainment.

Ignoring him is not sufficient. His departure is the only thing

that
is sufficient.
--
Jim in NC

I took a 12 month vacation from RAP. He still didn't leave. When I
came back most of the posts I saw were MX, followed by bertie,
followed by Max, followed by bertie - max - bertie - max - - - - -

I'm trying to figure out how to set up my own nntp server, with my

own
rules. Once I've got it up and running the way I want, I'll

publish
the address.

Here's a preview:

You'll never see a post by MX, Bertie, or Max, nor will you ever

see
a
response to them.
You'll also never see a post by a spammer, unless a known poster
decides to spam, or if I decide it's not really spam.


Snort.

Like that'd stop me.

Bertie


This is interesting. Is the OP in question saying that they have the
skills to fly a plane but *lack* the skills to configure a kilfile?
If so, this is indeed troubling news and would provide a clue as to

*why*
our skys are so unsafe today.



You're joking, of course, but in fact, you've hit the nail right on
the
head.
Don't know about the OP, but a startling number of pilots today are
spoon fed idiots who need a Nintendo DS in front of them to do the
simplest flights...


They fly with the computer and not so much with the stick eh?
THey should watch 'Space Cowboys' some time. Tommy Lee Jones does a nice
job of landing the "flying brick" with a stick and no computer.
  #76  
Old July 26th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,735
Default How do weather services get sky conditions above the surface?

hwf wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
hwأf wrote in
news
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 01:27:31 +0000, Bertie the Bunyip aided th'

terraists
with the following claims :

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

§ñühwØ£f writes:

I would a55ume that they have planes in the air at some point and

the
aircraft report the ceiling height of teh clouds and then they
estimate windspeed from observaton stations on the ground.
I'm just guessing. I knew a weather observer once.

That makes sense. I wonder how they estimate things like heights

and
distances, though. I suppose experience would help to come up

with
educated guesses for these, but one might still be way off.

Certainly
experience would be useful in recognizing specific cloud types and
patterns.

One article I read (I think it was Wikipedia) mentioned just ten
radiosondes for the entire Caribbean, that's hardly what I'd call
high-resolution measurement. You could almost fit a hurricane

between
radiosondes.


You are an idiot.

Bertie

Maybe they use dopplar radar to tell the height of the clouds, eh?
Otherwise I assume some sort of math involving triangulation and

other
difficult things.



Nah, it's easy. They compare the temperature to the dewpoint add in

th
edry adiabatic lapse rate and voila, you get the cloudbase.
Observation
is used for terminal areas, otherwise, though, it's still done the

old
fashioned way for the most part. These days, al info is mixed
together,
whihc gives a much better actual and forecasting capability.

bertie


Are you an ex weather observer or summat? I had a friend who was ex

USAF
weather observer then he got a job in elko doing weather observation &
moved
He was always talking about clouds & stuff trying to explain what was
happening up there...


Nah,, I'm a pilot. We have to learn the basics of how it's done. It's
interesting, but not riveting for me, anyhow. Handy to know a bit abou
tit in my line of work, though.

Bertie

  #77  
Old July 26th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,735
Default An nntp of my very own!

hwf wrote in news:PM000452E0695605C7
@unknown.unknown.dom:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
hwأf wrote in
news
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 20:09:39 +0000, Bertie the Bunyip aided th'

terraists
with the following claims :

"Steve Foley" wrote in
news:[email protected]:

"Morgans" wrote in message
...

I'm glad for your amusement, but do you think your amusement is

worth
the dismantling of one of the (previously) most useful forums on
aviation, by aviators?

If you think that it is worth it, then you have too high of a

value
placed on your own entertainment.

Ignoring him is not sufficient. His departure is the only thing

that
is sufficient.
--
Jim in NC

I took a 12 month vacation from RAP. He still didn't leave. When I
came back most of the posts I saw were MX, followed by bertie,
followed by Max, followed by bertie - max - bertie - max - - - - -

I'm trying to figure out how to set up my own nntp server, with my

own
rules. Once I've got it up and running the way I want, I'll

publish
the address.

Here's a preview:

You'll never see a post by MX, Bertie, or Max, nor will you ever

see
a
response to them.
You'll also never see a post by a spammer, unless a known poster
decides to spam, or if I decide it's not really spam.


Snort.

Like that'd stop me.

Bertie

This is interesting. Is the OP in question saying that they have the
skills to fly a plane but *lack* the skills to configure a kilfile?
If so, this is indeed troubling news and would provide a clue as to

*why*
our skys are so unsafe today.



You're joking, of course, but in fact, you've hit the nail right on
the
head.
Don't know about the OP, but a startling number of pilots today are
spoon fed idiots who need a Nintendo DS in front of them to do the
simplest flights...


They fly with the computer and not so much with the stick eh?
THey should watch 'Space Cowboys' some time. Tommy Lee Jones does a

nice
job of landing the "flying brick" with a stick and no computer.


Mm, not so much that as flying with the compute and not their heads!


Bertie
  #78  
Old July 26th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,735
Default An nntp of my very own!

hwأf wrote in
news
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:18:29 +0000, Bertie the Bunyip aided th'

terraists
with the following claims :

§ñühw¤£f wrote in

news:PM000452E0695605C7
@unknown.unknown.dom:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
§ñühwØ£f wrote in
news
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 20:09:39 +0000, Bertie the Bunyip aided th'
terraists
with the following claims :

"Steve Foley" wrote in
news:[email protected]:

"Morgans" wrote in message
...

I'm glad for your amusement, but do you think your amusement is
worth
the dismantling of one of the (previously) most useful forums

on
aviation, by aviators?

If you think that it is worth it, then you have too high of a
value
placed on your own entertainment.

Ignoring him is not sufficient. His departure is the only

thing
that
is sufficient.
--
Jim in NC

I took a 12 month vacation from RAP. He still didn't leave. When

I
came back most of the posts I saw were MX, followed by bertie,
followed by Max, followed by bertie - max - bertie - max - - - -

-

I'm trying to figure out how to set up my own nntp server, with

my
own
rules. Once I've got it up and running the way I want, I'll
publish
the address.

Here's a preview:

You'll never see a post by MX, Bertie, or Max, nor will you ever
see
a
response to them.
You'll also never see a post by a spammer, unless a known poster
decides to spam, or if I decide it's not really spam.


Snort.

Like that'd stop me.

Bertie

This is interesting. Is the OP in question saying that they have

the
skills to fly a plane but *lack* the skills to configure a

kilfile?
If so, this is indeed troubling news and would provide a clue as

to
*why*
our skys are so unsafe today.


You're joking, of course, but in fact, you've hit the nail right on
the
head.
Don't know about the OP, but a startling number of pilots today are
spoon fed idiots who need a Nintendo DS in front of them to do the
simplest flights...


They fly with the computer and not so much with the stick eh?
THey should watch 'Space Cowboys' some time. Tommy Lee Jones does a

nice
job of landing the "flying brick" with a stick and no computer.


Mm, not so much that as flying with the compute and not their heads!


I always thot you had to fly by "the seat of your pants".
What if your pants dont fit?


Hmm, a safety issue that possibly need sto be addrsssed.

Bertie

  #79  
Old July 26th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
hwأf
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 41
Default An nntp of my very own!

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:18:29 +0000, Bertie the Bunyip aided th' terraists
with the following claims :

§ñühw¤£f wrote in news:PM000452E0695605C7
@unknown.unknown.dom:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
§ñühwØ£f wrote in
news
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 20:09:39 +0000, Bertie the Bunyip aided th'
terraists
with the following claims :

"Steve Foley" wrote in
news:[email protected]:

"Morgans" wrote in message
...

I'm glad for your amusement, but do you think your amusement is
worth
the dismantling of one of the (previously) most useful forums on
aviation, by aviators?

If you think that it is worth it, then you have too high of a
value
placed on your own entertainment.

Ignoring him is not sufficient. His departure is the only thing
that
is sufficient.
--
Jim in NC

I took a 12 month vacation from RAP. He still didn't leave. When I
came back most of the posts I saw were MX, followed by bertie,
followed by Max, followed by bertie - max - bertie - max - - - - -

I'm trying to figure out how to set up my own nntp server, with my
own
rules. Once I've got it up and running the way I want, I'll
publish
the address.

Here's a preview:

You'll never see a post by MX, Bertie, or Max, nor will you ever
see
a
response to them.
You'll also never see a post by a spammer, unless a known poster
decides to spam, or if I decide it's not really spam.


Snort.

Like that'd stop me.

Bertie

This is interesting. Is the OP in question saying that they have the
skills to fly a plane but *lack* the skills to configure a kilfile?
If so, this is indeed troubling news and would provide a clue as to
*why*
our skys are so unsafe today.


You're joking, of course, but in fact, you've hit the nail right on
the
head.
Don't know about the OP, but a startling number of pilots today are
spoon fed idiots who need a Nintendo DS in front of them to do the
simplest flights...


They fly with the computer and not so much with the stick eh?
THey should watch 'Space Cowboys' some time. Tommy Lee Jones does a

nice
job of landing the "flying brick" with a stick and no computer.


Mm, not so much that as flying with the compute and not their heads!


I always thot you had to fly by "the seat of your pants".
What if your pants dont fit?


--
"Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities" - Voltaire
http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/16072

  #80  
Old July 26th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
hwأf
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 41
Default How do weather services get sky conditions above the surface?

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:17:32 +0000, Bertie the Bunyip aided th' terraists
with the following claims :

§ñühw¤£f wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
§ñühwØ£f wrote in
news
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 01:27:31 +0000, Bertie the Bunyip aided th'
terraists
with the following claims :

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

§ñühwØ£f writes:

I would a55ume that they have planes in the air at some point and
the
aircraft report the ceiling height of teh clouds and then they
estimate windspeed from observaton stations on the ground.
I'm just guessing. I knew a weather observer once.

That makes sense. I wonder how they estimate things like heights
and
distances, though. I suppose experience would help to come up
with
educated guesses for these, but one might still be way off.
Certainly
experience would be useful in recognizing specific cloud types and
patterns.

One article I read (I think it was Wikipedia) mentioned just ten
radiosondes for the entire Caribbean, that's hardly what I'd call
high-resolution measurement. You could almost fit a hurricane
between
radiosondes.


You are an idiot.

Bertie

Maybe they use dopplar radar to tell the height of the clouds, eh?
Otherwise I assume some sort of math involving triangulation and
other
difficult things.



Nah, it's easy. They compare the temperature to the dewpoint add in

th
edry adiabatic lapse rate and voila, you get the cloudbase.
Observation
is used for terminal areas, otherwise, though, it's still done the

old
fashioned way for the most part. These days, al info is mixed
together,
whihc gives a much better actual and forecasting capability.

bertie


Are you an ex weather observer or summat? I had a friend who was ex

USAF
weather observer then he got a job in elko doing weather observation &
moved
He was always talking about clouds & stuff trying to explain what was
happening up there...


Nah,, I'm a pilot. We have to learn the basics of how it's done. It's
interesting, but not riveting for me, anyhow. Handy to know a bit abou
tit in my line of work, though.

Sure, the basics; thats a funnel cloud, thats a hurricane, sheep arn't
supposed to fly...


--
"Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities" - Voltaire
http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/16072

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aviation Weather Services, AC 00-45F Bob Gardner Piloting 1 December 20th 07 03:58 AM
Gliding Weather Services around the world [email protected] Soaring 9 May 3rd 07 09:42 AM
AF#2/conditions Christopher Range Piloting 11 October 26th 06 02:57 AM
National Weather Services Duties Act of 2005 Rob Piloting 0 September 7th 05 09:44 PM
Deicing during heavy weather conditions William W. Plummer Instrument Flight Rules 0 December 24th 04 02:12 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.