Airliner crashes into Hudson River after LGA departure

Old January 19th 09, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.arts.poems
§ñühw¤£f[_2_]

Default Turboprops

Bertie the Bunyip pinched out a steaming pile
:

"Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

snip of your usual bull**** -

Good job Gertie. After the absence of your ignorance for a couple of
months, the newsgroup begins to show signs of becoming useful again,
and here you are, spouting your wanna be troll nonsense, and cross
posting to the kook world.

Are you afraid Mx was stealing your thunder?

Nope, i just like watching you bitch and moan. It's a bit like

watching a
turtle turned on it's back.

Bertie

Whenever I find an injured animal I always try to help it.

It makes me feel warm inside...

--
http://www.bds-palestine.net/?q=node/9
___ ___ ___ ___
Old January 19th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tech Support

Default Airliner crashes into Hudson River after LGA departure

John

Your 100% correct.

Saw a BIG bizzard here inTX just ahead of me and started to fly under
him with plenty of clearance. When he saw me close he folded his wings
and fell straight down and almost took my wing off when we colided.

Fly over not under.

Big John.

************************************************** *************************

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 07:02:33 +0000 (UTC),
(John Clear) wrote:

In article ,
a wrote:

Once, at general aviation speeds, we saw a flock of what seemed to be
canada geese at constant bearing out our windscreen. Sailers say
"Constant bearing means collision". We saw them with enough seconds in
hand to reduce our rate of climb and got under them.

Going under birds isn't advised, since when spooked, they often will
dive for the ground. Much safer to go over them, since their rate of
climb isn't that fast.

John

Old January 19th 09, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.arts.poems
George

On Jan 18, 12:46*pm, "Scott M. Kozel" wrote:
§ñühw¤£f wrote:

I propose a technological solution to the problem of bird strikes:
turboprops.
Lets return to the good old days pre-jet engines.

Well ... while the L-188 Lockheed Electra example is a turboprop, the
above poster apparently didn't realize that a turboprop engine has a jet
engine.

Discuss.

I wonder in this example why did the Electra stall and spin?
From my very first lessons it was drilled into my head by all my
instructors "WHEN THE ENGINE FAILS GET THE NOSE DOWN AND FLY THE
AIRPLANE!" I wonder why the Electra didn't remain in a (somewhat)
straight & level attitude? Was the crew too busy, confused, alarmed,
to fly/glide the airplane?

How about the hijacked jet that crashed off the Atlantic? The video of
that crash shows it hitting at a wing-first, crooked angle. Again, why
didn't the crew have the thing in a landing configuration which may
have saved more, if not all, lives?
Was this crew scared? Did they have guns pointed at their temples?

All kinds of things could have caused these crews too much distraction
to just fly the airplane, get it in a landing configuration, and belly
the thing in, as did US Airways in the Hudson.
This just stresses once again, the importance to me, that when the
plane gets quiet, get the nose down and fly the airplane, find a
landing spot, then deal with everything else as able.

George II (Also Ricky sometimes)

Old January 19th 09, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.arts.poems
Government Shill #2

§ñühw¤£f wrote:

I propose a technological solution to the problem of bird strikes:
turboprops.
Lets return to the good old days pre-jet engines.

Well ... while the L-188 Lockheed Electra example is a turboprop, the
above poster apparently didn't realize that a turboprop engine has a jet
engine.

Discuss.

I wonder in this example why did the Electra stall and spin?
From my very first lessons it was drilled into my head by all my
instructors "WHEN THE ENGINE FAILS GET THE NOSE DOWN AND FLY THE
AIRPLANE!" I wonder why the Electra didn't remain in a (somewhat)
straight & level attitude? Was the crew too busy, confused, alarmed,
to fly/glide the airplane?

ISTR from reading Air Disasters by Macarthur Jobs, that the Electra crashed
because the birds took out both engines on one side and the asymmetric
thrust of the remaining engines could not be corrected by the available
rudder authority. I may be wrong. It was a long time ago that I read about
it.

How about the hijacked jet that crashed off the Atlantic? The video of
that crash shows it hitting at a wing-first, crooked angle. Again, why
didn't the crew have the thing in a landing configuration which may
have saved more, if not all, lives?
Was this crew scared? Did they have guns pointed at their temples?

There was a hijacker in the cockpit. Apparently he upset the controls at
the last minute.

--
Shill #2

Great Tarverisms #5

The pitot tube was added to the first American jets to prevent the
kind of failures that killed an entire squadron off Florida. Without
P1 and T0 a jet will stall in fog.

Thanks to both of you for playing.

John

rec.aviation.military
Old January 19th 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Default Jet Turboprop

I propose a technological solution to the problem of bird strikes:
turboprops.
Lets return to the good old days pre-jet engines.

Discuss.

One of the most prominent examples of a turboprop passenger aircraft was the
Lockheed L-188 Electra. It CERTAINLY came along well after a number of
"jet" passenger aircraft were put into service.

A turboprop, obviously, is NOT a jet but did get partial thrust from the
turbine exhaust. As I recall, the "jet" effect was somewhere around 10% of
the total thrust with the propellers providing the other 90%.

The aircraft suffered from early problems with "whirl mode" which took the
wing from two aircraft in flight. Whirl mode is the aircraft equivalent of
the Tacoma Narrows bridge effect (Galloping Gertie) in which resonance modes
that were not predicted in fact occurred. The effect was originally
attributed to severe turbulence, but a series of tests over the California
Sierra in turbulence classified as somewhere between severe and extreme
proved that prognosis wrong. One of our pilots (PSA) who helped conduct the
tests came back saying that "I swear to Almighty God that tin whore was
flying tail first for a while."

The Allison engine was a jewel, but from a maintenance and reliability point
of view, the propellers were a POS.

Jim
L-188 wrench 63-67

Old January 19th 09, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

Nope, i just like watching you bitch and moan. It's a bit like watching a
turtle turned on it's back.

Bertie

At least you have a grip on your own situation.

Old January 19th 09, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
Dear fjucktard..
Actually that's all i wanted to say.

Bertie

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you too.

Old January 19th 09, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

Tech Support wrote in message
Dear VIi

I refuse to communicate with anyone who doesn't know their A**hole
from a hole in the ground.

Good by and may the rag heads take you down.

BJ

Now you're proving your self and idiot, because you clearly no nothing about
me, or how to read your own post.

Old January 20th 09, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"George" wrote in message
On Jan 18, 3:37 pm, "Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote:

I'm not Mx, and you can't seem to decide if you are George or Ricky.

Are you having an identity crisis?

Take the "a" out of Maxwell & you get MX.

George (aka; Ricky)

Wow dicky, you figured that out all on your own?

Take the G out of George or the R out of ricky, and you still have a dumb
ass.

Plane down in Hudson River Judah Piloting 10 January 6th 06 05:15 PM
Peruvian airliner crashes in jungle Bushleague Piloting 4 August 24th 05 04:37 PM
Flying down the Hudson River SeeAndAvoid Piloting 19 March 24th 04 07:26 PM
Hudson river Paul Sengupta Piloting 2 January 9th 04 01:18 AM
Hitting airliner with rifle round? [was: PK of Igla vs. airliner] B2431 Military Aviation 7 August 20th 03 11:29 PM