Hobbs Practice 7-3 # 711 reporting

Old July 4th 04, 05:01 AM
TomnKeyLargo

Default Hobbs Practice 7-3 # 711 reporting

We had a 10 am brief pilots meeting and a MAT of 1.5 hrs was called for all
three classes. The task distance was from 65 miles for Sports to 100 miles for
Standards and 125 miles for 15 meter. Out towards the west rode them very high
clouds with the chance of buildups later in the day. Lift was forcasted to be 5
to 7 kts to 10 thou AGL. We grid at 1 pm with takeoffs shortly their after. SP
and # 711 both thought they had grided towards the back of the grid, and were
the first 2 out their. All the others grided behind us, and SP and # 711 ended
up the first to launch with both 27's being loaded to the gills with water. Ya,
we circled for just alittle while in weak lift before it started to kick off.
All classes had good flights, and after landing we were treated to a cookout by
the US Team Junior members putting on the party. These young folks are great
and its good to see them growing up in this sport. During dinner winds and yep
rain, it rained, came down for a short period and then we headed over to the
pilots meeting at 7:30 pm. It went well with the contest personel putting on a
good meeting. I know your wondering how fast we went today, and I could tell ya
somebody really blew the doors off, but your just have to wait till the scores
are posted on the SSA web site. Remember its just practice, so the real thing
starts tomorrow. Someone ran 91 mph over 146 miles. And I am not telling who.
But that 12 kt thermal to 15 thou was really great. On the safety talk tonight
we spoke of ELT's, strobe lights and O2. along with drinking plenty of water.
Keep those things in mind when you go fly. Thermal tight, Soar high, Fly safe.
# 711 reporting.