Tire opinions?

Old October 1st 03, 01:14 PM

Hrm... it's sounding like retreads are a pretty popular choice. I
can believe that a retread with a good compound can be the same price as a
cheaper compound new. I think that the stigma associated with retreads is
from truck retreads that tend to sluff off rubber shrapnel on the freeway.
I would hope that a certified aircraft tire wouldn't do such a thing.

Any trouble on the size of retread tires and fitting in wheel
pants?

-Cory

JDupre5762 wrote:
:We've been very happy with re-treaded tires on our Cherokee Pathfinder. They
:appear to have a lot more rubber on them than new tires, and my A&P swears
:by them...

: They don't appear to have more tread, they actually do. There is a requirement
: for specific tread depth on a new tire but there is not one for retreads so
: retreads can have a thicker tread depth than new and consequently will take
: more landings. Probably one of the better values in aviation.

: John Dupre'

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old October 1st 03, 01:57 PM
Jay Honeck

Any trouble on the size of retread tires and fitting in wheel
pants?

None noted.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 1st 03, 02:01 PM
Hankal

Have a look at the Monster Retreads from Desser

I use Michelin tire and tube for my front tire.
Have it balanced at a motorcycle shop.
AirHawk for the mains.
C172 with the Avcon conversion.
Hank
N1441P
Old October 1st 03, 05:08 PM
John Galban

"Tom S." wrote in message ...
"John Galban" wrote in message
om...
I use Condors exclusively. They're cheaper than average, but they
last a long time. I just replaced my 1st one. Bought it 6 yrs. and
800 hrs ago.

How many landings/takeoff cycles?

Well, I didn't actually count them, but I fly almost every week and
average 3 or 4 takeoffs and landings.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old October 1st 03, 10:06 PM
JDupre5762

Any trouble on the size of retread tires and fitting in wheel
pants?

I had some retreads awhile back -- Goodyear and McCreary casings. The
Goodyears were fine, but the McCrearys didn't fit into my

wheelwells,

so
I gave them away. IIRC, I had problems fitting the McCrearys originally
-- one wouldn't fit into one well but went into the other OK, so I used
them that way.

I have had no problems with Condors and have used 3 sets of them.

ALWAYS do a retraction test when you mount new tires!

I have never seen problems with retreads mounted with wheelpants. I have seen
problems with underinflated tires hitting the sides of wheel pants but that is
another isusue.

As for retractables it makes good sense to always check that new tires will fit
and especially retreads. Some of the retract Cessnas use specially designed
low profile tires to begin with and some of the retreaders will not recap those
because they will jam in the wheel well afterward and are not used on many
fixed gear aircraft.

John Dupre'
Old October 1st 03, 11:03 PM

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
: ALWAYS do a retraction test when you mount new tires!

I'll make sure to do that on my Cherokee 180... ;-)

-Cory

Old October 2nd 03, 02:05 AM
Dan Thomas

Orval Fairbairn wrote in message .. .

I have used Condors for the past 8 years and have found them to be as
good as Goodyear FC IIs and MUCH better than McCrearys. The McCrearys do
not have as consistent shape and diameter as the Condors.

Condors have a thicker tread section than the McCrearys and
seem to have a tougher rubber. We used to use McCrearys on our flight
school airplanes, but life was short and students easily ground
through to the cords. The Condor is heavier and lasts longer. It's
built by Michelin.
Goodyears are great if you can afford them.

Dan