GPSMAP 195 or 196

Old March 6th 04, 05:24 PM
Jay Masino

Default GPSMAP 195 or 196

Mike Spera wrote:
but the current Apollo is vertical and does get in the way of the panel.
The 195 looks even taller than the Apollo, so it may not be so good. I
have a Cherokee 140 with bowtie yokes. Any good/bad reports in yoke
mounting either unit?

I have a 195 on a 140's bowtie yoke. My plane is also old enough to
have the "scattered" panel layout, so the 195 partially blocks the clock.
I've been able to live with that. The Garmin yoke mount is plastic and
tends to flex a bit. I changed to an aluminum mount that I bought from
Chief, but switched back to the Garmin one after a few years (because
the aluminum one broke!).

The 195 does have a psuedo-HSI display, rather than an entire
psuedo-panel, but my opinion is that you'll be using the moving map
screen 99% of the time. The screen update rate of the 196 is probably a
lot faster than the 195, and the resolution and grey scale levels are
better on the 196. That might make it worth it. I guess it all depends
on how much you want to part with the extra $325.

--- Jay

--

__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old March 6th 04, 06:08 PM
Dennis O'Connor

I have both, use both, one on each yoke, like both...

If you are having to question the extra money, then I strongly suggest the
195 to you...
The 196 is not horizontal, it is vertical like the 195...
They do force you to look around them at times..

Other than using the 196 "gyro panel" to shoot an informal approach a couple
of times, I don't use it for real flying... I have no interest in paying
for the street map... I haven't used the W&B feature other than to try it
once works The 196 is a superior instrument, faster, better graphics,
etc... The one feature I consider indispensable is the voltmeter... I no
longer have to carry an auto voltmeter that ties up my lighter socket...
denny

"Mike Spera" wrote in message
Well, the old Apollo 920 turns 10 years old this year and I am finally
thinking about a replacement.

Old March 6th 04, 07:21 PM
Rosspilot

The 196 is not horizontal, it is vertical like the 195...

Mine is horizontal . . . see

http://skyviewpictures.com/html/lee_plane-control.html

www.Rosspilot.com

Old March 6th 04, 11:50 PM
Dan Luke

"Mike Spera" wrote:
I can get a newly overhauled (like new condition)
195 with a 1 year warranty for $550. No WAAS,
no "panel page", 4 level gray.

I had a GPS III Pilot, then a 195. I liked the little GPS III Pilot
better. If you're looking for an o'hauled unit, I recommend it over the
195.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old March 6th 04, 11:54 PM
Ray Andraka

Same here. I bought a 195 the week the GPSIII pilot was introduced. Found
the 195 to be too bulky to be useful (it was in the way no matter how I
mounted it). Returned it, and bought a GPS-III pilot instead. I got the
horizontal mount for the GPS-III and have it velcroed to the glareshield
above the radio stack. It's low profile keeps it from blocking my vision
outside, and it is not in the way of the yoke or of seeing other
instruments. I fly with it on the HSI page most of the time, and on the
moving map for approach.

Dan Luke wrote:

"Mike Spera" wrote:
I can get a newly overhauled (like new condition)
195 with a 1 year warranty for $550. No WAAS,
no "panel page", 4 level gray.

I had a GPS III Pilot, then a 195. I liked the little GPS III Pilot
better. If you're looking for an o'hauled unit, I recommend it over the
195.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM
(remove pants to reply by email)

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old March 7th 04, 05:22 AM
john smith

Dennis O'Connor wrote:
Other than using the 196 "gyro panel" to shoot an informal approach a couple
of times, I don't use it for real flying... I have no interest in paying
for the street map... I haven't used the W&B feature other than to try it
once works The 196 is a superior instrument, faster, better graphics,
etc... The one feature I consider indispensable is the voltmeter... I no
longer have to carry an auto voltmeter that ties up my lighter socket...

The 195 also has the voltmeter feature.

Old March 7th 04, 05:24 AM
john smith

Ray Andraka wrote:
Same here. I bought a 195 the week the GPSIII pilot was introduced. Found
the 195 to be too bulky to be useful (it was in the way no matter how I
mounted it). Returned it, and bought a GPS-III pilot instead. I got the
horizontal mount for the GPS-III and have it velcroed to the glareshield
above the radio stack. It's low profile keeps it from blocking my vision
outside, and it is not in the way of the yoke or of seeing other
instruments. I fly with it on the HSI page most of the time, and on the
moving map for approach.

The 195 with the RAM suction cup can be attached to the side of the
windscreen. This puts the display in view while heads up and keeps it
out of the way of other instruments.

Old March 7th 04, 07:55 AM

I also bought a GPS III Pilot, but traded to a used 195 because I wanted
a bigger screen. I like the bigger screen, but the page updates are
incredibly slow---the unit seems to go to sleep for up to 5 or 6 seconds
at a time going from one area to another. I have the latest software.

I played with a 196 once and it is a huge difference, the screen updates
were like lightning by comparison. The 195 drives me nuts but I haven't
been able to justify upgrading (see prior whiny thread about going to a
Lowrance 500 or tablet PC or whatnot)---at this point I'm saving for a
panel mount instead.

Old March 7th 04, 02:03 PM
Rosspilot

ummm, you are a better pilot than me... I have problems with knife edge
flight..

?????????

unfamiliar with that term . . . please clarify.
www.Rosspilot.com