GPSMAP 195 or 196

Old March 7th 04, 04:04 PM
Dale

In article ,
Mike Spera wrote:

I can get a newly overhauled (like new condition) 195 with a 1 year
warranty for $550. No WAAS, no "panel page", 4 level gray.

Or I can spring the $875 for a new 196. WAAS, 12 level gray, W&B
capabilities, plus lots of other features. I could really use the street
map feature in the car but they soak you ANOTHER $250 for that. When I
think that all us taxpayers paid for all the street AND air data that
these GPS manufacturers get for FREE, it is a little annoying to pay
300% more for these devices than they should cost. Oh well, whining
feature OFF.

The 195 is also capable of doing W&B calculations, as well as trip
planning, routes, etc.

BTW, I have a 195 and love it. G

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old March 7th 04, 04:23 PM
Newps

john smith wrote:
Dennis O'Connor wrote:

Other than using the 196 "gyro panel" to shoot an informal approach a
couple
of times, I don't use it for real flying... I have no interest in paying
for the street map... I haven't used the W&B feature other than to try it
once works The 196 is a superior instrument, faster, better graphics,
etc... The one feature I consider indispensable is the voltmeter... I no
longer have to carry an auto voltmeter that ties up my lighter socket...

The 195 also has the voltmeter feature.

And so does the GPS III.

Old March 7th 04, 05:16 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Rosspilot wrote:

unfamiliar with that term . . . please clarify.

Flying in a constant 90 degree bank.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.
Old March 7th 04, 05:20 PM
Aaron Coolidge

Newps wrote:
much info about voltmeter snipped
: And so does the GPS III.

Where is this feature located in the 195 and III pilot? I have looked for
it on my 295 with no luck, perhaps I can find it with all of your assistance.
PS: I presume you mean the AIRCRAFT's DC voltage, not the battery voltage...
--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)
Old March 7th 04, 05:27 PM
Ray Andraka

That was one of the things I considered before returning the 195. Anywhere on
the glareshield or on the side pillars blocked too much of the outside. There is
that pesky see-and-avoid thing. The GPS III with a horizontal mount is low
enough that it only blocks the view of the top of the cowl in my Cherokee Six.
That larger screen and approaches in the 195 were nice, but to me, the fact that
it was so big meant that no matter where I put it, it blocked seeing something be
it other instruments, or outside the cockpit.

john smith wrote:

Ray Andraka wrote:
Same here. I bought a 195 the week the GPSIII pilot was introduced. Found
the 195 to be too bulky to be useful (it was in the way no matter how I
mounted it). Returned it, and bought a GPS-III pilot instead. I got the
horizontal mount for the GPS-III and have it velcroed to the glareshield
above the radio stack. It's low profile keeps it from blocking my vision
outside, and it is not in the way of the yoke or of seeing other
instruments. I fly with it on the HSI page most of the time, and on the
moving map for approach.

The 195 with the RAM suction cup can be attached to the side of the
windscreen. This puts the display in view while heads up and keeps it
out of the way of other instruments.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old March 7th 04, 06:24 PM
john smith

Aaron Coolidge wrote:
Where is this feature located in the 195 and III pilot? I have looked for
it on my 295 with no luck, perhaps I can find it with all of your assistance.
PS: I presume you mean the AIRCRAFT's DC voltage, not the battery voltage...

Garmin GPS 195
Go to the HEADING page (between the ACQUIRING SATELLITES and the MAP page)
Press the MENU button
Scroll down to CHANGE DATA FIELDS
Press EDIT/ENTER
Use the curser control to select a field to change
Press EDIT
Scroll to VDC (Volts DC)
Press EDIT/ENTER
Press QUIT

Old March 7th 04, 06:30 PM
john smith

Ray Andraka wrote:
That was one of the things I considered before returning the 195. Anywhere on
the glareshield or on the side pillars blocked too much of the outside. There is
that pesky see-and-avoid thing. The GPS III with a horizontal mount is low
enough that it only blocks the view of the top of the cowl in my Cherokee Six.
That larger screen and approaches in the 195 were nice, but to me, the fact that
it was so big meant that no matter where I put it, it blocked seeing something be
it other instruments, or outside the cockpit.

True, the RAM mount attached to the side of the windscreen works best
for high-wing aircraft (Cessnas, Champ). When I fly a low-wing Piper
(Archer III, Arrow IV, Cherokee Six), I use the stock yoke mount.

Old March 8th 04, 02:25 AM
Newps

On the III it is on the position page. Those six boxes on the top 3/4
of the page are user configurable. For example you can display totally
useless info like the sunset and sunrise times, trip odometer, etc.

Old March 8th 04, 05:20 AM
Aaron Coolidge

Newps wrote:
: On the III it is on the position page. Those six boxes on the top 3/4
: of the page are user configurable. For example you can display totally
: useless info like the sunset and sunrise times, trip odometer, etc.

Hmm, isn't that interesting. The 295 has no such option as VDC. It has
all of the useless options, though. Thanks for checking, both of you!

--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)