No R5N contest reports?

Old April 22nd 11, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

Default No R5N contest reports?

Around 70 contestants on the roster for the R5N race at Perry, SC and
so far no contest report posted on the SSA web-site? C'on - what
gives?? There has to be at least one person capable of writing a short
summary about the tasks, weather and other stuff that typically goes
on for those that couldn't go. The more I appreciate Frank's posts
here ....
Inquiring minds want to know!
Uli
Old April 22nd 11, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Apr 21, 9:08*pm, GM wrote:
Inquiring minds want to know!
Uli

Weather so far has been off the traditional Perry pace.

Day 2 (Tues) featured mostly blue conditions, low tops (4000 msl),
and a couple of fires. One of those produced some useful thermals
(near Barnwell Co) others gave enough low level smoke to cut off
convection. 18m got the better of it in the tasking and stayed in
sunshine. The rest of us had to struggle through some really soft
smokey areas (immediate vicinity of Perry and to the East -- Fogles
turnpoint was horrible!), so that's the reason the 18m guys were so
much faster that day.

Day 3 (Thurs) was a bit of a crap shoot. At 0700, we thought the day
was a write off. We gridded anyway and got a big enough sucker hole
to launch. With a late launch and a 2hr "dump task" MAT we worked
West to our required turns, then pursued our various other ideas.
Weather changed fast as high and mid level clouds moved in and shut
off various turns. The weather got very good in spots late in the
day, but it helped to have long legs to get there. I started late,
worked out under solid overcast, fell down just a few miles short of a
street that looked like it had been transported intact from Uvalde.
The 18m guys -- launching late, started late -- and had the legs and
the experienced pilots to connect, had a great ride.

Today (Friday), we had T-storms at dawn, slept in and will clearly
scrub. Tomorrow looks like another flying day. We're getting quite a
lot of rain over the whole task area right now but this sandy soil
sucks it right up, so tomorrow could be anything from another
scratcher to pretty good.

As always, the Tylers are hosting a helluva good party (with really
excellent help, of course).

-Evan (reaching for the bottom of the scoresheet with both hands)
Ludeman / T8

Old April 22nd 11, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

On 4/22/2011 8:46 AM, T8 wrote:
On Apr 21, 9:08 pm, wrote:
Inquiring minds want to know!
Uli

Weather so far has been off the traditional Perry pace.

Is Dave Nadler there? :-)

Tony V.

Old April 23rd 11, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

On Apr 22, 8:46*am, T8 wrote:
On Apr 21, 9:08*pm, GM wrote:

[...]

T8 - thanks for the summary - much appreciated!
Uli

Contest Reports rlovinggood Soaring 0 April 29th 09 12:19 AM
Not 1, but 2 reports Kevin Clarke Piloting 26 September 11th 07 05:49 AM
Accident reports Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 0 April 28th 07 03:20 AM
Thanks for the Sun 'n fun reports Tedstriker Home Built 16 April 19th 05 03:10 PM
Location of Charlie Spratt's contest reports on SSA site Frank Soaring 3 April 7th 05 05:58 AM