A Rough Day Towing

Old June 5th 12, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default A Rough Day Towing

I think the rope is 3/8 polypropylene. The rope strength is within FAA
requirements for the gliders we tow. We use a weak link with a tost ring,
but not with the Schweizer. There's a Schweizer release on the tug.

"GARY BOGGS" wrote in message
What size rope were you using? Was there an weak link?

Boggs

Old June 6th 12, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

I have been a bit concerned with the ropes some places use.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/po...th-d_1516.html
shows the following minimum breaking strength

1/4 1125 lbf 80%= 900 lb minimum glider weight
5/16 1710 lbf 80%= 1368 lb minimum glider weight
3/8 2430 lbf 80%= 1944 lb minimum glider weight

I prefer towing behind 1/4" rope I have seen a few rope breaks with
1/4" all seemed warranted with a rope in good condition.
It seem to me that unless you are towing a fully loaded ASG29 or a two
place that 1/4 rope is probably what should be used unless of course a
weak link is used. And even then 1/4" rope should be adequate at the
200% rating or less.
Am I missing something?

Brian

Old June 6th 12, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Wear on the runway, UV degradation.

"Brian" wrote in message
I have been a bit concerned with the ropes some places use.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/po...th-d_1516.html
shows the following minimum breaking strength

1/4 1125 lbf 80%= 900 lb minimum glider weight
5/16 1710 lbf 80%= 1368 lb minimum glider weight
3/8 2430 lbf 80%= 1944 lb minimum glider weight

I prefer towing behind 1/4" rope I have seen a few rope breaks with
1/4" all seemed warranted with a rope in good condition.
It seem to me that unless you are towing a fully loaded ASG29 or a two
place that 1/4 rope is probably what should be used unless of course a
weak link is used. And even then 1/4" rope should be adequate at the
200% rating or less.
Am I missing something?

Brian

Rough Landings on Ice C J Campbell[_1_] Piloting 1 March 8th 08 07:30 PM
rough running C-182 R&A Kyle Owning 10 November 16th 04 11:45 PM
PIREP: 2I3 (Rough River State Park, Falls of Rough, KY) Kyler Laird General Aviation 0 March 1st 04 12:11 AM
Rough Engine, please help John Clonts Owning 14 February 26th 04 12:09 AM
HELP! To buy or not...rough 63 aztec for $25,000 david Owning 27 January 15th 04 01:06 AM