Cross country question? How is it done today?

Old October 14th 13, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

Default Cross country question? How is it done today?

On Sunday, October 13, 2013 7:01:43 PM UTC-7, 6PK wrote:
On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:22:16 AM UTC-7, flgliderpilot wrote:

I am fairly green had my PGL for about 3 years now.

Been venturing into cross country, have done my first flight out to another airport, and last weekend, an out to that airport and return, about 30 miles round trip (in a 1-26, no ridges, it's all flat Florida). No it's not very far, but at least I am not just circling the airport for hours, and my enjoyment of soaring has been taken to a new level.

However, I was told recently by an older experienced pilot that using a GPS is "not the correct way to do it". Instead I should be thinking "can I get there... now can I get there... can I get there...". I understand this ideology, but I am pretty sure nearly everyone is using GPS these days.

So, does this mean I should not use modern navigation technology? I know how to plot a cross country flight on paper of course, and required altitudes to the next safe landing area.

Does this mean I should I actually be drawing circles on charts, carrying a slide ruler to calculate arrival height at various distances, and mechanically doing everything my GPS is doing for me? This means I am not looking for traffic, or thermalling but instead flipping through charts and playing with a slide ruler or E6B, and my eyes are not outside the canopy.

Anyway, please enlighten a new pilot, I am listening intently. if I should not be using a GPS at this point I'll go without.

Thanks

Tom

Just my 5 c worth;

Always should consider to land on an airport-as a first choice (much preferred on the west coast- suitable landing spots are few and far in between and they change)

Have the basic good knowledge as to how many feet YOUR glider will loose per thousand feet.

Always carry current sectionals or at least world aeronautical charts .

Than get yourself a flight computer; SeeYou mobil, WinPilot, XCSoar etc they all basically do the same but at least if nothing else get a small pocket GPS.

Using these charts would be a last resort if all else fails ( but still have them) unless; you are near class B, C airpspaces and wish to navigate over, under or around them than utilizing a Terminal Area chart is a MUST flight computer or not!

Again it is a myth that looking or glancing at a PDA or PNA is more distracting than charts, it is by far the other way around.

Beside a PNA I downloaded XCSoar(free) onto my Android phone and will use it as a back up if need be far sooner than resorting to a chart(except a TCA).

In the many years of straight out cross country flying I can count on one hand how many times I landed on other than an airport.

However if you were to fly out here in the west at the least I would strongly encourage anyone to set foot and evaluate the landings sites first before considering landing on them.

6PK

Sorry about the typo; should have read:
"Have the basic good knowledge as to how many feet YOUR glider will loose per mile."
Old October 14th 13, 11:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Del Copeland

In my opinion you should learn to navigate by map and compass
alone, in case the fancy gizmos or batteries fail. I do quite a lot
of cross-countries in the UK in a vintage glider that has no
navigational aids other than a compass, so I have to use
traditional methods. It's actually quite good practice for when I
fly fancier ships.

Derek Copeland

At 14:22 11 September 2013, flgliderpilot wrote:
I am fairly green had my PGL for about 3 years now.

Been venturing into cross country, have done my first flight out

another=
airport, and last weekend, an out to that airport and return,

about 30
mil=
es round trip (in a 1-26, no ridges, it's all flat Florida). No it's

not
v=
ery far, but at least I am not just circling the airport for hours,

and my
=
enjoyment of soaring has been taken to a new level. =20

[...]

canopy.=20

Old October 15th 13, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

Buy the best tools that you can afford for the job at hand, learn to use them, and take care of them. Then develop you own rules. some of mine:
1. Never follow anyone with an engine.
2. Land at an airport, especially when flying over un-landable terrain.
3. If you really want to get better go fly contests.
4. When the CD sends you someplace you don't want to go, don't go. This is supposed to be fun.
5. There is always going to be somebody out there better than you, don't let that bother you, everyone has to start at the bottom.
6. I have never flown without a GPS, or two. I'm directionally challenged, so if they quit working I'm going to land.
Old October 15th 13, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nigel Pocock[_2_]

If you can find someone with a high performance 2 seater and fly with
someone experienced.
I was lucky enough to fly in a duo discus with the national team coach and
on another occasion in a nimbus 3dt with a british team member. I learned
more on those flights that in the previous season flying on my own.

Old October 16th 13, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flgliderpilot[_2_]

Thanks guys, I've been flying every weekend since the thread started and every flight has been a cross country flight as I have been working on a 65 mile silver distance triangle. I mostly navigate by chart and by being familiar with the area before flying. I use the nav computer to give me more accurate arrival altitudes to turn points and nearby airports. It did also prove helpful once when I got lost and did not recognize my position on the chart.

Most of the time it's been no problem to look at the map and know roughly where I am, and thumb the map to determine roughly how high I will arrive, but having the nav computer makes this much more efficient and keeps my eyes outside the cockpit. I had a powered aircraft fly directly towards me while in a thermal on my last cross country flight. Fortunately I saw him coming and exited the thermal only to watch the plane fly right through where I was circling without the slightest sign of awareness of my existence. Glad I wasn't busy looking at my chart and playing with a slide ruler when this happened.

I am not part of a club and where I fly is a commercial operation. If I land out, there are no club members waiting to come get me, and the tow plane will not tow me out of a field, only an airstrip. A field landout is going to be a big inconvenience for more than just myself. This doesn't mean I am not prepared to land out.. or that there aren't friendly fellow pilots who will come get me if they happen to be at the airport at that time, but it may take all day.

Of course I still keep other landing options available at all times in addition to a nearby air strip, but using modern tools really simplifies things..

Tom
Old October 16th 13, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Tom,

It sounds to me like you're doing everything right.

Keep spreading your wings!