Transfer of IGC log for contest scoring

Old February 20th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
01-- Zero One

Default Transfer of IGC log for contest scoring

That's interesting, because _every_ contest that I have competed in for
years has accepted flight recorders... especially Cambridge that will
automatically download directly.

Larry Goddard

"01" USA

"Richard" wrote in message
oups.com:

Contests that I have competed in, over the last 5 years the scorer
wants nothing to do with a flight recorder, they would not accept
them. They required SD Card, USB sticks. disk etc.

I sell a nice Colibri with a mini SD Card.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

On Feb 19, 3:54 pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi Kirk,

2 comments

It is my belief that contest scorers will love the EW microRecorder because
you just plug it into the USB port on any PC and it looks like a memory card
reader or hard drive. Very simple. No software required.

EW is working on a slightly more expensive version of the microRecorder that
will include an SD card slot. To be honest, I don't think it is necessary
or worth the extra money.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"kirk.stant" wrote in message

oups.com...

Tom,

SD cards are the way to go with a PDA. Good idea to have a couple of
them (they don't have to be big - 64 or 32mb work fine if you can find
them!) and put your contest ID and name on them (of course, your
logger file in it also has that info). You may have to leave it with
the scorer if he's swamped, and that makes it easier to get it back
later or the next morning.

That's the only problem I see with the new EW logger - you either
leave the whole logger in the box with the rest of the SD cards and
floppies, or you drag along you notebook and download it and transfer
to another format.

Ideally, a logger should transfer it's files directly to a USB
thumbdrive or SD card (directly or via reader connected via USB
port). Lot cheaper to misplace than a logger! Doesn't the latest
Colibri do that?

Kirk- Hide quoted text -

Old February 20th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

"Richard" wrote in message
oups.com...
Contests that I have competed in, over the last 5 years the scorer
wants nothing to do with a flight recorder, they would not accept
them. They required SD Card, USB sticks. disk etc.

I sell a nice Colibri with a mini SD Card.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

I don't see why a EW miroRecorder would be less convenient that a USB stick.
Maybe the technology associated with the ON/OFF switch is too much for the
scorer to handle.

Old February 20th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_1_]

Maybe its a west coast thing, Scorers in Ephrata, Montague 18m Nats,
15m Nats required the pilot to fiddle around instead of the scorer.
CAI does connect well if you have a serial port and power to it which
the scored may or maynot have. If his computer only has a USB
then ???????? converter time.

"Richard" wrote in message

[...]

roups.com...

Old February 20th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bert Willing

Because they don't want to get into anything which looks like a cable
connector. USB sticks or SD cards are simply shown as drives after
insertion, and you pull the respective file.

Old February 20th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I think you and Richard are missing the point about how easy the EW
microRecorder is to use. You connect it to your PC using a standard USB
cable and it looks exactly like a card reader or hard drive to the PC. The
scorer can copy and paste the files from the EW to the PC in exactly the
same way he/she copies files from a card reader. There is no software or
drivers required. It is extremely simple. Once you see it in action you
will most likely agree that no scorer will have a problem with connecting to
the logger because it doesn't act like a logger - it acts like a card
reader.

I agree that it is nice that the new Colibri has a built-in microSD card
reader because then the scorer won't need to use LXe or SeeYou or StrePla to
copy flight logs from the Colibri.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old February 20th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_1_]

No Paul I didn't miss the point. The scorer didn't want to deal with
flight recorders in general, if one then why not all questions, and
they don't want to provide security for recorders that are left in the
scoring office or just in the hanger. In short the scorers in the
contests I was in just did'nt want to deal with flight recorders.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message
I don't see why a EW miroRecorder would be less convenient that a USB
stick. Maybe the technology associated with the ON/OFF switch is too much
for the scorer to handle.- Hide quoted text -

Old February 20th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Paul,

I originally assumed that the unit had to be turned on in order to access
the files contained in memory. It appears from your posting that the 5V
provide by the USB cable actuates memory access just like it does in a
"thumb" drives. Cool!!

Wayne
EW Model D owner.

Old February 21st 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graeme Cant

Richard wrote:
No Paul I didn't miss the point. The scorer didn't want to deal with
flight recorders in general, if one then why not all questions,

If you mean what I think you thought you meant ( ), the reason to
make an exception for the EW is that downloading doesn't require a
special program or cables or special knowledge - unlike all previous
loggers.

It's a memory stick just like all the others that scorers are demanding!

and
they don't want to provide security for recorders that are left in the
scoring office or just in the hanger.

So. No security for 50 or so cards and sticks? No security for the
scorers' laptops? No security for the scorer's data on the laptops?
Try again, Richard.

... In short the scorers in the
contests I was in just didn't want to deal with flight recorders.

No. They didn't want to deal with EXISTING flight recorders. This one
sounds great and I'd be happy as a scorer to have one handed in. MUCH
happier than to be given a Colibri or Volkslogger, both of which I would
hand back and say - put it on a stick.

If you're going to get grumpy with Paul, we're going to make you stand
in the corner for a month. You're both only here on sufferance.

GC

OLC Scoring [email protected] Soaring 2 June 13th 06 03:01 AM
OLC scoring - USA Ian Cant Soaring 18 November 29th 05 07:43 PM
OLC scoring - USA Ian Cant Soaring 0 November 28th 05 03:09 AM
Inaccurate Contest Scoring Bill Feldbaumer Soaring 21 June 14th 04 02:56 PM
History of Contest Scoring Bill Feldbaumer Soaring 8 October 8th 03 02:14 PM