Waynes Rule

Old May 5th 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

Default Waynes Rule

On May 5, 4:48 am, bagmaker
wrote:

toad,

Light is fine. Lighter is better still.
Ingo Renner once told me a typical thermal weighed some 50 tonnes. For
the discussion, 50 tonnes or 1 gramm act the same, they are both
affected by gravity and on their own, go down like a new bride.
Bouyancy is a better way to describe the way a thermal rises and many
have pointed to the links available. Others still dont get it although
glider pilots have a higher rate so far! Hot air does not rise.

Bagger

--
bagmaker

Bagger,

The mass does matter, or the thermal would accelerate faster and
achieve a higher climb rate.

Please create a complete theory of thermals, including force balance
and post it, or you are just wasting time. (that's allowed, I guess,
on the internets) Because I still have not seen a difference between
your rule and the standard thermal explanation.

Todd
Old May 6th 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 1, 12:51 pm, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:
Wayne,
It's not clear to me exactly what your "rule" is from the above
paragraphs. Could you please restate your hypothesis more
succinctly?

This is the rule, already succinctly stated elsewhe

Description of Wayne's Rule:

"A parcel of air cannot rise away from the earth by itself as it has a
mass, this mass is acted upon by gravity"

And Wayne Carter invites you to discuss, and prove him (AND/OR THE
RULE?) wrong!

SO FAR NOBODY DID...................

or more succinctly

"A parcel of air cannot rise away from the earth by itself"

Maybe Mr Carter wants to know what is THE KIND OF MAGIC that make the
bloody parcel of air rise!!!

Old May 9th 08, 08:56 AM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

Wayne,
It's not clear to me exactly what your "rule" is from the above
paragraphs. Could you please restate your hypothesis more
succinctly?

This is the rule, already succinctly stated elsewhe

Description of Wayne's Rule:

"A parcel of air cannot rise away from the earth by itself as it has a
mass, this mass is acted upon by gravity"

And Wayne Carter invites you to discuss, and prove him (AND/OR THE
RULE?) wrong!

SO FAR NOBODY DID...................

or more succinctly

"A parcel of air cannot rise away from the earth by itself"

Maybe Mr Carter wants to know what is THE KIND OF MAGIC that make the
bloody parcel of air rise!!![/quote]

ah well, disapointing really, perhaps everybody in the gliding world actually understands!

As you enjoy your shower this evening, check the steam.
Some jumps up from the reflective force of the hot water hitting the showerbase, the rest rises to the ceiling and sits there until cooled, condensed or sucked out by the fan.

completely violating Waynes Rule!

It is being forced up there by the colder, denser air -not of its own doing!

Bagger

Age 60 Rule is now Age 65 Rule Kingfish Piloting 44 December 21st 07 11:31 AM
TSA rule, what does this mean? Robert M. Gary Piloting 27 April 21st 07 02:54 AM
New TSA Rule NW_PILOT Piloting 18 October 27th 04 12:35 AM
New TSA Rule G.R. Patterson III Piloting 0 October 23rd 04 04:12 PM
51% rule Robert Bates Home Built 12 August 1st 03 09:06 PM