Winter quick disconnect color code

Old June 5th 10, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Warren

Default Winter quick disconnect color code

Is there a standard for the colors on the Winter quick disconnect,
i.e. blue for TE, red for static, etc?
Old June 5th 10, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Warren,

Not that I am aware of. I recommend using a fine-tipped permanent marker to
label each tube near the ends.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old June 5th 10, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

The manual for my LS8 specifies the following: Pitot - red, ASI and
ALT statics - blue, electric vario statics - yellow, TE - green,
capacity - clear.

-John

Old June 5th 10, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Warren,
Winter quick disconnects are notorious for leaking because you don't/
can't always get the same seal when tightening them, some use a light
lube, but I recommend not using them at all. They were popular in the
Libelle because it was necessary to remove the pannel to work on the
instruments. Most other panels don't have to be removed. I stopped
using them years ago. Even in a Libelle I would make the lines long
enough to allow sliding the panel out a foot or so then pull the lines
loose at a "T" by placing needle nose pliers next to the end and
pulling on the "T" fitting. Snip off the used end every year or so and
lube with saliva (AKA spit) when re-installing. Make sure you don't
kink the lines when sliding the panel back in.
Hope this helps,
JJ

Old June 5th 10, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Jun 5, 4:31*am, Warren wrote:
Is there a standard for the colors on the Winter quick disconnect,
i.e. blue for TE, red for static, etc?

Color coding on this page

http://www.craggyaero.com/tubing_&_fittings.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old June 7th 10, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

I replaced my aging tubing a while ago with colored tubing and
individual quick disconnects. In a DG-xxx it makes removing/replacing
the instrument panel mighty easy (and I take it home each winter to
play glider pilot and futz with it). I have no idea what color code I
used, probably my own totally random one - but Craggy's is as good as
any, Is there a logic to the colors?

As to the quick disconnects, I have had no known problems. The ones
that I use are from the medical industry so I am not too worried about
leakage. There is a ready nice 5-by quick disconnect (http://cumulus-
soaring.com/winter.htm#W-9005) which I have coveted but never bought.
Anyone have experience with that?

- John DeRosa
Old June 7th 10, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

I've has Winter five tube quick disconnects in my Ka-6E, HP-16T and currently in my HP-14. Mine were purchased from Tim Mara (http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page24.htm) So far I haven't had any problems.

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://tinyurl.com/N990-6F

Old June 7th 10, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Jun 6, 5:21*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
I replaced my aging tubing a while ago with colored tubing and
individual quick disconnects. *In a DG-xxx it makes removing/replacing
the instrument panel mighty easy (and I take it home each winter to
play glider pilot and futz with it). *I have no idea what color code I
used, probably my own totally random one - but Craggy's is as good as
any, *Is there a logic to the colors?

As to the quick disconnects, I have had no known problems. *The ones
that I use are from the medical industry so I am not too worried about
leakage. *There is a ready nice 5-by quick disconnect (http://cumulus-
soaring.com/winter.htm#W-9005) which I have coveted but never bought.
Anyone have experience with that?

- John DeRosa

Had a five way in a DG-100 I once shared. I did put it together wrong
once. As soon as we reached the end of the airfield on tow the ASI
moved to 90kts and stayed there for the rest of the flight. Thought
the tow was pretty fast, but also had no vario either. I flew around
for a while watching the Blue Angels over at Travis AFB then landed
and sorted it out. There was just enough bite with the threads to
think it was fully home, but I missed with the guide pin, so lots of
gaps.

Pre-flight ASI check indicated proper movement, so I really did think
it was together before flight.

Still a very convenient fitting, but it is possible to get it wrong.

Frank Whiteley