Cell phones on GA aircraft

Old October 15th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Cell phones on GA aircraft

Christopher Brian Colohan writes:

I'm confused -- I thought in a previous thread you said you lived in
Paris? If so, why does the FCC matter? (Or am I wrong about where
you live...?)

With respect to aviation, I ignore the place where I live, and I think
only about the USA. Everyone else is too far behind.

Old October 15th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Emily

RK Henry wrote:
snip

I once called my favorite CFII to make an appointment. When she
answered the phone, there was a lot of background noise but we could
still converse. She was talking to me on her cell phone while she was
instructing. Obviously, it can work.

I used to work with an instructor who would routinely conduct business
on his cell while instructing (yes, he had other issues). But like you
said, this was at low altitude in the practice area, very near multiple
towers. Reception was not a problem.
Old October 15th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stubby

I suppose it doesn't count in this discussion, but balloons are
aircraft. Cell phones work fine and are more reliable than either
ordinary VHF radios or CB radios. Typically we are at tree tops, 100 to
say, 500 feet. I figure people are allowed to use cell phones in tall
buildings and easily hit these altitudes.

Ron Natalie wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:
I know the FCC says you're not supposed to use cell phones on an
aircraft

Actually, the FCC only says that for certain wireless phone
services. Not all of them have that prohibition written in
the regs.

(even though recent studies show that such use does not
overload multiple base stations, as the FCC originally feared).

It's less of a problem now that we've moved away from the original
AMPS (analog) cellular phone. However, the study you are probably
thinking about doesn't say what you are proposing. It is talking
about the Aircell guys identifying that THEIR airborne use (which
is not standard cellular) doesn't cause any untoward interference
to the ground based systems on the same frequency.

However, has anyone tried it on small aircraft?

The problem is that it doesn't work. Once we went to much fancier
digital systems and antenna systems designed to really pack in the
density, trying to hit them from over 1000 feet just doesn't work.

Handheld cell phones have never put out more than 850mw when
operating at high power (and they would use much less in
a plane) and the modern digital ones put out even a fraction of that.
It's unlikely that avionics would suffer much.

Old October 15th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

The FCC and the FAA have rules. The FAA is concerned with
any electronic device interfering with the aircraft nav or
comm systems,. The FCC is concerned about a cellphone
blocking hundreds of cell towers on the ground.

Using Your Wireless Phone on Airplanes FCC rules currently
ban cell phone use after a plane has taken off because of
.... and other wireless devices aboard aircraft remain
subject to the rules and ...
www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/cellonplanes.html -
17k - Cached - Similar pages

[PDF] The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is
considering ... File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as
HTML
FCC rules currently ban cell phone use after a plane
.... phone use because of potential interference to
navigation and aircraft systems. The FCC has ...
www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/cellonplanes.pdf -
Similar pages

Cell Phones On Aircraft: Nuisance Or Necessity? Even if the
FCC finalizes its proposed rule lifting its ban on aircraft
cell phone use, the FAA has no intention to lift its
long-standing ban on the use of ...
http://www.house.gov/transportation/...15-05memo.html
- 24k - Cached - Similar pages

Opposition To Cell Phones On Aircraft Washington, DC - A
proposed Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rule to ...
any change to the existing ban on aircraft cell phone use
would require the ...
http://www.house.gov/transportation/...release90.html
- 11k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.house.gov ]

Mobile phones on aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The cellphone calls are routed via the on-board SATCOM to
the ground network and ... telephones while this aircraft is
airborne is prohibited by FCC rules. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_on_aircraft -
24k - Cached - Similar pages

Aviation International News | Cellphones a real threat to an

"Stubby" wrote in
message . ..

Old October 15th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stubby

Note the confusion between "airplanes" and "aircraft". The former
excludes helos, balloons and gliders. The latter includes them. I'm
uncertain where people in tall buildings appear.

Old October 16th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan[_1_]

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, Mxsmanic said:
how much of a glass cockpit you have. Will anyone admit to using
phones on a GA aircraft?

I can't get a signal at cruise altitude in the US. I can in Canada, but
I've never tried to make a call or even send an SMS.

--

I can't remember where I read this, but I recall that Canadian pilots
were encouraged to use cell phones in case of lost-comm to contact ATC.

Old October 16th 06, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

Mxsmanic wrote:
I know the FCC says you're not supposed to use cell phones on an
aircraft (even though recent studies show that such use does not
overload multiple base stations, as the FCC originally feared).
However, has anyone tried it on small aircraft? There is some concern
about cell phones interfering with avionics on commercial airliners
(the jury is still out for most scenarios), but I don't know if the
phones make any difference on a small plane. I suppose it depends on
how much of a glass cockpit you have. Will anyone admit to using
phones on a GA aircraft?

Yes, I will admit to it, having used cell phones on GA aircraft
equipped with both glass cockpits and steam gauges. For some time,
there was a big loophole in the FCC regulations. You could not use a
cell phone, but almost nobody owned a cell phone as defined by the
regulations. What people really had was PCS phones, and there was no
FCC ban on using these in airplanes for a long time. That changed last
year and the FCC now uses the same language for PCS phones as for cell
phones (no doubt because some of us were a little too noisy about this
loophole).

Coverage with a PCS phone is spotty in a GA plane and you are likely to
lose contact every couple minutes. They are best used in emergencies
(when nobody cares about the regulations anyway -- you do what you have
to do) or for short messages or texts to revise flight plans and tell
the FBO that you are going to be late. I think the FCC would rather you
use the phone for this rather than have somebody call out search and
rescue because you did not return on time.

One thing I find incredibly entertaining: after decades of scaring the
daylights out of passengers about 'dangerous' cell phones the airlines
are discovering that allowing passengers to use cell phones could be a
profit center. So the ban has been lifted in some countries, but the
passengers won't use the service because they are terrified of making
the airplane fall out of the sky. Plus, there is the usual backlash
from the anti-cell phone crowd who insist that use of a cell phone on
an airplane is at least rude and at worst likely to kill everyone on
board. Here in the Philippines the ATA prohibits the operation of cell
phones in aircraft and you are still briefed by flight attendants that
the use of cell phones interferes with avionics.

Cell phones are also prohibited by law in banks. You could be
imprisoned for six months for turning a cell phone on in a bank in the
Philippines. Apparently there is a concern that criminal gangs could
watch for large withdrawals of cash and then telephone confederates
outside the bank. Of course, the law does not prevent anyone from
simply stepping outside the bank to use his phone.

I am surprised that there have not been more restrictions on cell
phones. They are the tool of choice for terrorists to detonate their
bombs by remote control (we just had a bunch of them in the Philippines
a week or two ago). Plus, many of them have small cameras that could be
used for surveillance and gathering intelligence. They are almost
untraceable; you can use one once and throw it away. Really, perhaps
Homeland Security needs to ban the cell phone nationwide. That ought to
protect us.

Old October 16th 06, 12:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Andrew Sarangan wrote:

I can't remember where I read this, but I recall that Canadian pilots
were encouraged to use cell phones in case of lost-comm to contact ATC.

Like I said, with the analog cell phones (or at least ones with
an AMPS fallback) it worked fine but annoyed the system capacity.
This is how the guys on Flight 93 were able to reach the ground.

Unfortunately, my last two cell phones don't have that feature
and the analog ground stations are pretty much disappearing.
The FCC no longer requires the licensees to maintain analog
cellular.
Old October 16th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

cjcampbell writes:

One thing I find incredibly entertaining: after decades of scaring the
daylights out of passengers about 'dangerous' cell phones the airlines
are discovering that allowing passengers to use cell phones could be a
profit center. So the ban has been lifted in some countries, but the
passengers won't use the service because they are terrified of making
the airplane fall out of the sky.

I should think you'd have to hold the cellphone right in the cockpit
to make any difference at all to the avionics, and even then, I
wouldn't expect much of an effect. I can talk on a cell phone right
next to my computers (with the covers off), and they continue to run.

Cell phones are also prohibited by law in banks. You could be
imprisoned for six months for turning a cell phone on in a bank in the
Philippines. Apparently there is a concern that criminal gangs could
watch for large withdrawals of cash and then telephone confederates
outside the bank. Of course, the law does not prevent anyone from
simply stepping outside the bank to use his phone.

I guess calling the cops to report a robbery in progress is out of the
question, then.

I am surprised that there have not been more restrictions on cell
phones. They are the tool of choice for terrorists to detonate their
bombs by remote control (we just had a bunch of them in the Philippines
a week or two ago). Plus, many of them have small cameras that could be
used for surveillance and gathering intelligence. They are almost
untraceable; you can use one once and throw it away. Really, perhaps
Homeland Security needs to ban the cell phone nationwide. That ought to
protect us.

Cellphones are too widely used. The general public only accepts bans
on things that are not used by the majority of people. The real risk
(or lack thereof) is irrelevant.