Going around what to do?

Old February 7th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Going around what to do?

What would you do in the following situtation:

You are approaching a non towered field, communicate right and all that
stuff, your on final, suddenly a cessna pulls up and starts it's take
off roll.

Also lets bring the same situation to a towered airport where the
controller tells you to go around while you are on final.

I am asking this because I am just wondering that at some point the
aircraft could collide (one climbing out, the other at pattern
altitude), and what the pilot going around should do...

Old February 7th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Nik" wrote in message
ups.com...
What would you do in the following situtation:

You are approaching a non towered field, communicate right and all that
stuff, your on final, suddenly a cessna pulls up and starts it's take
off roll.

Also lets bring the same situation to a towered airport where the
controller tells you to go around while you are on final.

I am asking this because I am just wondering that at some point the
aircraft could collide (one climbing out, the other at pattern
altitude), and what the pilot going around should do...

In both cases, announce your intentions, offset your approach and fly an
upwind leg (typically to the right of the runway centerline). You should
adjust your upwind leg to keep the rogue aircraft/pilot in view until it is
no longer a collision threat.

Old February 8th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ok thank you...
How would you say the intentions though?
-Nik

Old February 8th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Nik" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok thank you...
How would you say the intentions though?
-Nik

"Your Location Traffic, NXYZ is going around due to departing traffic on
Runway **, will fly an upwind on the Right side of Runway **."

Old February 8th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Nik wrote:
Ok thank you...
How would you say the intentions though?
-Nik

"Going around, sidestepping to the right"
Old February 8th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article . com,
"Nik" wrote:

What would you do in the following situtation:

You are approaching a non towered field, communicate right and all that
stuff, your on final, suddenly a cessna pulls up and starts it's take
off roll.

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate.

How much space is between the two of you? If he's already rolling and
you're still 1/4 mile out, the safest thing might be to just land behind
him.

The alternative is to go around.

There is no one right answer.
Old February 8th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The microphone is not a flight control. It's not what you say that counts,
it's what you do. "Buzzbomb 34X going around, moving to the right of the
runway" would be plenty. The rationale for moving to the right is that with
you in the left seat, you can watch the other plane and take evasive action
if necessary.

We have grass between the two parallel runways at Boeing Field in Seattle,
and when the tower issues a go-around it is usually "go around, fly over the
grass, maintain visual separation from the Flybird to your (right.left),
report midfield downwind."

Bob Gardner

Old February 8th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Nik wrote:
What would you do in the following situtation:

You are approaching a non towered field, communicate right and all that
stuff, your on final, suddenly a cessna pulls up and starts it's take
off roll.

I would immediately abort the approach, climb, and maneuver so I was
flying parallel to the runway at a safe distance until I could get a
better sense of what the other pilot is going to do. As soon as
practical, get out of the pattern and re-enter it per the published
procedures (standard or otherwise). At no time would I put myself in
front of the other plane, since I then lose my only defense against a
midair--visual contact with the other aircraft so I can maintain
separation. How can I trust that this pilot, who didn't acknowledge my
presence before by either waiting or making radio calls, will see me?
Answer: I don't trust that pilot, or any other when it comes to my own
safety.

Also lets bring the same situation to a towered airport where the
controller tells you to go around while you are on final.

I go around. If the scenario matches the above, I would still abort,
climb, and fly parallel to the runway, all the while explaining to ATC
what my intentions are. I'm not the one who would get busted because
I'm complying with the instruction to "Go Around", I'm the one on final,
and I'm maneuvering to avoid a collision. An argument *could* be made
(though I'm not sure how strong or weak it is) that I was in an
"emergency situation" and was deviating from whatever regulations I
needed to in order to avoid contact with another aircraft.

The way I fly, if the controller says "go around", by the time he
finishes the word "around", my throttle is already wide open. My
instructor taught me well to have an instinctive reaction to going
around. It saved my bacon a couple times after some approaches that
didn't translate into good landings.

I am asking this because I am just wondering that at some point the
aircraft could collide (one climbing out, the other at pattern
altitude), and what the pilot going around should do...

The aircraft will collide only if you let them (provided you have time
to avoid the situation).

Chris G.
Old February 8th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Nik wrote:
What would you do in the following situtation:

You are approaching a non towered field, communicate right and all that
stuff, your on final, suddenly a cessna pulls up and starts it's take
off roll.

Also lets bring the same situation to a towered airport where the
controller tells you to go around while you are on final.

I am asking this because I am just wondering that at some point the
aircraft could collide (one climbing out, the other at pattern
altitude), and what the pilot going around should do...

This EXACT situation happened to me on about my
second or third time of solo flying practice in the
pattern. I had been flying a few circuits around the
pattern, announcing my position the way I'd been
taught. I was landing at a comfortable interval
behind another aircraft, but as soon as the aircraft
in front of me crossed the threshold, a departing
plane pulled out in front of me to get in position for
a takeoff roll. I kept the departing plane in sight,
and announced "Cessna 123XY going around
due to traffic on the runway". (I probably should
have specified "departing traffic", because just after
I made my announcement, the aircraft which had
just landed and cleared the runway said "Bonanza
234ab is clear of the runway" -- he may have thought
I was tailgating him). I heard another voice
say "he pulled right out in front of you, didn't he?".
I started climbing to pattern altitude and kept the
departing plane in sight by a combination of moving
to the right a bit and slipping. I got to pattern
altitude about the time I was over the far end
of the runway. About then, I decided it was silly to
follow the runway centerline all the way to a normal
crosswind, especially with the rogue aircraft climing
on nearly the same trajectory, so I did a short crosswind
while he was still well below me and I joined the normal
base leg, announcing intentions the whole way.

I never heard the departing aircraft say anything.
I assume he had no radio or was too embarassed.

I'm not sure that what I did was textbook perfect; I was
improvising as a very green student. But the important
thing was that I kept the departing aircraft in sight,
I announced my intentions, I stayed in a fairly normal
pattern watching for other traffic, I didn't make any
assumptions that the departing aircraft had a radio
or was going to follow any standard procedures, and
I didn't let his mistake upset me too much.

--Rich

Old February 8th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"Nik" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ok thank you...
How would you say the intentions though?
-Nik

"Your Location Traffic, NXYZ is going around due to departing traffic on
Runway **, will fly an upwind on the Right side of Runway **."

I'd probably say I was going around due to a fool on the runway, but
otherwise I concur with what you suggest. :-)

Matt