A question from a lurker

Old April 1st 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default A question from a lurker

Andrew Sarangan writes:

I am glad you started your post with "I have the greatest respect for
pilots". That is exactly the right thing to say if you want help from
us. This is where Mxsmaniac failed. He never told us that we were
special people.

You aren't, so why should I? If you want someone to lick your boots, buy a
slave.

Old April 1st 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Oz Lander[_2_]

Richard wrote:

I am often interested in the answers to the questions of Mxsmaniac
but the elitists here would rather deride. There are probably other
non-fliers lurking who are too scared to ask for fear of getting the
Mxsmaniac treatment. Yes, I know he has offended some.

Mx gets the same treatment in the sim groups too.
He's just an idiot troll.
--
Oz Lander.
I'm not always right,
Old April 1st 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

or flying a tail dragger (conventional geared aircraft) and need to s turn
down the taxi way to make sure no one is in front of you, but then again..
you would not have a nose wheel with which to follow the stripe..

BT

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article , "Richard"

wrote:

Do pilots follow the white lines on taxi-ways or swing wide as
truck/trailer
drivers must do? Are they just a night aid?

I follow the yellow taxiway centerline, unless doing shallow S-turns to
check the gyros and compass.

--
Bob Noel
(gave up looking for a particular sig the lawyer will hate)

Old April 1st 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Bob Noel" wrote

actually, the troll began infesting rec.aviation back in 2001 or 2002.

What was his screen name, back then?

This is news to me.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 1st 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

I am not a pilot but have the greatest respect for those you are.

I am not a pilot either, but I am a former student--and plan to return and
finish up in the foreseeable future.

Most here wish to share their pleasure with non-pilots and I thank you for
your posts. But some wish to maintain an elitist group. Perhaps that

elitist
behaviour reduces the support you may have from non-pilot members of the
community when facing the current FAA proposals.

The pilots I have met in New Zealand are respectful and always willing to
answer even stupid questions.

Same here. However, Mxsmanic has managed to infuriate a large number,
perhaps even a majority, of pilots, former pilots, future pilots, student
pilots, etc.

I was introduced to flight sim in 1998 by an airline pilot who had an
elaborate setup that he said improved his skills. I lost interest after a
year or so but he maintains an expensive, powerful system. Flight Sim is

not
an evil threat to real aviation and may promote an empathy for real

aviation
issues.

Flight Simulators, including MSFS, are usefull tools--especially for
procedure training and practice. However, the low end simulators, such as
MSFS, do have some "interesting" limitations.

I recently had an opportunity to play with an MSFS setup, although I did not
have the oportunity to start by reading the manual or even asking some of
the most rudementary questions first. It only gradually became clear that
the aircraft was a Beechcraft King Air--so, of course, I crashed.

However, my point in mentioning my little comedy of errors is to illustrate
a limitation of the MSFS modeling. I believed, incorrectly, that I was
flying a trainer--and flew it much too slow. In fact, I was flying it in a
stalled condition; but the plane remained quite responsive in roll, and
steep turns didn't seem to affect it at all. I didn't spin it in, as I
richly deserved, but ... :-(

I am often interested in the answers to the questions of Mxsmaniac but the
elitists here would rather deride. There are probably other non-fliers
lurking who are too scared to ask for fear of getting the Mxsmaniac
treatment. Yes, I know he has offended some.

Some????

Do pilots follow the white lines on taxi-ways or swing wide as

truck/trailer
drivers must do? Are they just a night aid?

Richard

Most of us, here and on R.A.S, either fly or flew small aircraft--where the
pilot sits approximately on the CG and the wheelbase is quite short.
Therefore, our primary concern is wing tip clearange on the parking ramp.

Much larger and heavier aircraft may have an additional need to keep the
wheels on the full strength portion of the pavement--which may or may not be
the entire paved surface. A study of airport markings and signage is in
order, and some may vary with location--for example, taxiway center lines in
the USA are yellow.

There are pilots here who fly large aircraft, and who therefore know the
correct procedures for taxiing, but they may be too annoyed to respond since
they would be instructing Mxsmanic as well. IMHO, they are correct, since
everyone who has reason to move large aircraft has access to specific
instruction.

As a little added background, Richard, you are undoubtedly aware that one of
the MSFS views allows you to watch as an observer following behind your
aircraft. It is rather obvious that you know who was taxiing his private
737 that way in the similar thread, unless he has moved up to something
bigger.

Remember my most important point: I doubt that anyone here actually flies
large aircraft unless they are paid to do so!

Peter

Old April 1st 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Pixel Dent

In article ,
"Richard" wrote:

The issues with MX have little to do with the fact that he's not a pilot
and a lot to do with the fact that he has poor manners. In the beginning
I tried to answer his questions with pointers to the applicable FARs and
suggestions for further reading and he was rude in response. Heck with
him.

Do pilots follow the white lines on taxi-ways or swing wide as truck/trailer
drivers must do? Are they just a night aid?

I don't know of any FAR that requires them to be followed. I've been to
plenty of airports that didn't have any lights or markings for the
taxi-ways, and some that didn't have taxi-ways.

At larger airports they often have reflectors along the center line to
make them more visible so at those I'll taxi slightly left of the center
line so my nose wheel doesn't go "thump thump thump" as it hits the
reflectors.

I took my PP check ride on a very windy day and the examiner himself
recommended taxiing on the upwind side of the crowned taxi-way in windy
conditions to improve handling and to keep the upwind wing from lifting.
Old April 1st 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Morgans" wrote:
"Bob Noel" wrote

actually, the troll began infesting rec.aviation back in 2001 or 2002.

What was his screen name, back then?

This is news to me.

Same as it is today, actually.
Old April 1st 07, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

For the most part, we keep the nose wheel on the center line to
avoid any obstacles to the sides of the runway. On a taxiway,
and on the ramp, the center line is *supposed* to ensure that
the wings do not hit any obstacles, such as parked aircraft,
trees, etc. If you have the opportunity to listen to airport
weather reports (ATIS) shortly after a snowstorm, you may hear
a warning about "snow dirfts" or such 24 inch or higher. High wing
aircraft don't have as much to worry about since the wings are
5-8 feet above ground, depending on the aircraft.

Old April 1st 07, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Richard" wrote:
I am not a pilot but have the greatest respect for those you are.

I am not a pilot either but try to respect everyone - pilot or not. It is
only when I get to know a particular individual that I may lose respect for
that one person. Or I may gain even more respect for that person.

I am often interested in the answers to the questions of Mxsmaniac but
the elitists here would rather deride. There are probably other
non-fliers lurking who are too scared to ask for fear of getting the
Mxsmaniac treatment. Yes, I know he has offended some.

As a non-flier I do not use the Usenet groups as a primary source of
information of flying. It is great, though, for getting pointers to where
to find authoritative information and some of the stories and posts do
provide concepts to ponder over that help cement the knowledge gained
elsewhere. Or cause me to re-think and re-investigate things I thought I
learned correctly!
Old April 1st 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

Mxsmanic wrote:
Andrew Sarangan writes:

I am glad you started your post with "I have the greatest respect for
pilots". That is exactly the right thing to say if you want help from
us. This is where Mxsmaniac failed. He never told us that we were
special people.

You aren't, so why should I? If you want someone to lick your boots, buy a
slave.

(Another straight line too good to pass up...)

So, Anthony, what's your going price these days?

Rats, I just packed away all the winter gear, including the boots.