Jeppeson

Old April 5th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Default Jeppeson

"Aluckyguess" wrote in :

Jeppeson sure has a nice little monopoly going. $760.00 to get the
updates for my mx 20 and Apollo 60 GPS.
Dang.

The law of supply and demand. If it wasn't worth $760 to you, you'd live
without it or switch platforms to something cheaper...
Old April 5th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Robert M. Gary wrote:

I don't believe the interface is open. No one else can get into the
biz. This is what generated several law suites against Atari and
Intellivision when I was a kid. Someone just needs to challenge them
in court to open these interfaces on the basis of anti-trust.

The interface doesn't need to be open. CompanyX needs to sell
the Garmins and Honeywell/Bendix/Kings, and Chiltons of the world
to convince them that they should allow the support (or push for
a standard interface). That's all part of what a free market is.
There's no artificial obstacle from someone getting into the biz
other than the fact that Jeppesen has been doing it for a very
long time.
Old April 5th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

On Apr 5, 12:44 am, "Aluckyguess" wrote:
Jeppeson sure has a nice little monopoly going. $760.00 to get the updates
for my mx 20 and Apollo 60 GPS.
Dang.

Somebody on eBay is selling Apollo database cards for $109.

What's each device update costing you apiece?

I agree that, whatever, it's a lot !!

Kev

Old April 5th 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

"Crash Lander" wrote in message
"Aluckyguess" wrote in message
Jeppeson sure has a nice little monopoly going. $760.00 to get the
updates for my mx 20 and Apollo 60 GPS.
Dang.

How often do you have to update?
Crash Lander

That is for the year. I had to buy thier datacard reader also that was
150.00.

Old April 5th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

"Judah" wrote in message
. ..
"Aluckyguess" wrote in :

Jeppeson sure has a nice little monopoly going. $760.00 to get the
updates for my mx 20 and Apollo 60 GPS.
Dang.

The law of supply and demand. If it wasn't worth $760 to you, you'd live
without it or switch platforms to something cheaper...

If there is a cheaper platorm let my know what it is.

Old April 5th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

"Kev" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Apr 5, 12:44 am, "Aluckyguess" wrote:
Jeppeson sure has a nice little monopoly going. $760.00 to get the
updates
for my mx 20 and Apollo 60 GPS.
Dang.

Somebody on eBay is selling Apollo database cards for $109.

What's each device update costing you apiece?

I agree that, whatever, it's a lot !!

Kev

The price I quoted was for the year. I have the cards. The MX 20 comes with
all the charts.

Old April 5th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 5, 12:21 pm, Ron Natalie wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:

I don't believe the interface is open. No one else can get into the
biz. This is what generated several law suites against Atari and
Intellivision when I was a kid. Someone just needs to challenge them
in court to open these interfaces on the basis of anti-trust.

The interface doesn't need to be open. CompanyX needs to sell
the Garmins and Honeywell/Bendix/Kings, and Chiltons of the world
to convince them that they should allow the support (or push for
a standard interface). That's all part of what a free market is.
There's no artificial obstacle from someone getting into the biz
other than the fact that Jeppesen has been doing it for a very
long time.

Then we don't need anti-trust laws at all.

-Robert, MBA

Old April 6th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"Aluckyguess" wrote in :

"Judah" wrote in message
. ..
"Aluckyguess" wrote in :

Jeppeson sure has a nice little monopoly going. $760.00 to get the
updates for my mx 20 and Apollo 60 GPS.
Dang.

The law of supply and demand. If it wasn't worth $760 to you, you'd live
without it or switch platforms to something cheaper...

If there is a cheaper platorm let my know what it is.

It's called the Very high Omnidirectional Radio system.

I believe you can get all the information for this platform for less than
$50/yr, and perhaps even free on certain websites. It's not as fancy or
colorful as an MX-20, of course. But it certainly is priced right.

Old April 6th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Ron Natalie writes:

The interface doesn't need to be open. CompanyX needs to sell
the Garmins and Honeywell/Bendix/Kings, and Chiltons of the world
to convince them that they should allow the support (or push for
a standard interface). That's all part of what a free market is.
There's no artificial obstacle from someone getting into the biz
other than the fact that Jeppesen has been doing it for a very
long time.

Just like Microsoft.

Old April 6th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Aluckyguess writes:

That is for the year. I had to buy thier datacard reader also that was
150.00.

So add another $760+ to the yearly cost of flying. How many hours do you fly
per year?