ID Theft -- Courtesy of the FAA

Old July 1st 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Default ID Theft -- Courtesy of the FAA

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

And if your pilot license number is still your SS number like it is for
most pilots?

You can get that changed for free - even if you don't care if your SSN is on
your old ticket, this is a good way to get one of the nifty new plastic
tickets with Orville and Wilber's picture on it to replace that faded, ratty
old paper one that has been in your wallet for who-know-how-many-years...

You can even update your hair color to grey or none as applicable :-)

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old July 1st 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
quietguy

On Jul 1, 1:00 pm, "Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way
d0t com wrote:
snip text

You're lost, too? Well, at least I've got company. And no, I really
didn't know before this that the FAA database accessible by the public
included my full address; I simply never had a reason to look before
now. And my name is not in the phone book -- I pay extra to keep it
out. I also Google my name occasionally and it always comes up
empty. I thought I was being cagey enough, but now I learn from
privacyrights.org that 41 states and DC maintain at least one type of
public record with residents' Social Security numbers, as do at least
28 percent of county governments. Government, as usual, is way behind
the bad guys.

Old July 1st 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
And if your pilot license number is still your SS number like it is for
most pilots?

You can get that changed for free - even if you don't care if your SSN is on
your old ticket, this is a good way to get one of the nifty new plastic

Yeah, that's how I avoided the $30 fee for an address change - I changed
my address *and* requested a new license number.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"He passed away during an important civic function held in his honor when the
Old July 1st 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
El Maximo

"quietguy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've just received a "past due" invoice for the purchase of 250
gallons of Jet A from an FBO a thousand miles away on 20 May. The
invoice includes my name and address and the N-number of my airplane.
The trouble is: I'm not a jet pilot; haven't been to that city in
thirty years; the airplane with that N-number is still a-building in
my garage and it won't burn kerosene when it flies, anyway.

A few years ago, I fueled up at an airport and gave them my Discover Card
(1% cash back). They didn't have a machine there, so they took an imprint. A
few weeks later, I got a bill from them with a note saying they don't take
Discover. They had written the tail number on the slip, so they knew where
to mail the bill.

My guess is something similar happened here, but they got the tail number
wrong.

Old July 1st 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
quietguy

On Jul 1, 1:11 pm, "Viperdoc" wrote:

without reading the whole thread, did you call your
credit card company and dispute the charges?

I have online access to my credit-card statement and it appears to be
updated nearly in real-time. The charge (from a 20 May transaction)
hasn't appeared. And that, like everything else about this case,
leaves me perplexed: if the FBO submitted a charge to some credit-card
company and they were told the account number was bogus, why just send
me a nice, polite "Past Due -- Please Remit" invoice? And didn't they
see in the FAA database that the N-number wasn't even active yet?
Curiouser and curiouser ...

Old July 1st 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 17:28:31 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote in :

$30 fee for an address change

Ah, ATC privatization. Ain't it wonderful?

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...rmen_services/
Airmen Online Services
Welcome to the Airmen Certification on-line services site. To
utilize the online services, you must first create an account with
the Airmen Certification Branch.

Create an account
Log in to your account to:
change your address
order a replacement certificate
remove SSN as certificate number
request temporary authority to exercise certificate privileges
request verification of certificate privileges

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...ia/8060-55.pdf
Old July 1st 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
El Maximo

"quietguy" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 1, 1:11 pm, "Viperdoc" wrote:

without reading the whole thread, did you call your
credit card company and dispute the charges?

I have online access to my credit-card statement and it appears to be
updated nearly in real-time. The charge (from a 20 May transaction)
hasn't appeared. And that, like everything else about this case,
leaves me perplexed: if the FBO submitted a charge to some credit-card
company and they were told the account number was bogus, why just send
me a nice, polite "Past Due -- Please Remit" invoice?

What alternatives do you suggest?

And didn't they
see in the FAA database that the N-number wasn't even active yet?

I don't know what the record looks like for a not-yet-active N-number.

My money says the whole thing will be cleared up Monday morning when you
talk to the FBO.

Curiouser and curiouser ...

Old July 1st 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"quietguy" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 1, 12:24 pm, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:
Why would the FBO send you a paper INVOICE for a credit card sale?

Something here is fishy. There are several holes in your "story".

I've got better things to do right now than to respond at length to
somebody who's apparently got nothing better to do than to call
another man a liar from a safe distance, but I won't let that crack
pass.

Dude, I think you just gave yourself away.

The low-ranking person minding the store on a Saturday
afternoon said it was a credit-card transaction; maybe she was wrong.

And maybe you jumped the gun longggg before you had analyzed your case.

And many companies try sending invoices as a first step in "past due"
cases, before reporting a customer to the card issuer. I've promised
to tell more when I know more, and I will.

Not on credit card transactions.

As I said, you've got holes in your story big enough to drive a freight
train through.

Old July 1st 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
news
It may not have been the FAA- I had a call from a credit card company
regarding some fraudulent charges, and they called the same day! Some guy
bought some stuff in a Walmart in Chicago.

So, it can happen- without reading the whole thread, did you call your
credit card company and dispute the charges?

He said it was a CC opened in his name by someone else.

This whole story stinks to high heaven.

Old July 1st 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote in message
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

And if your pilot license number is still your SS number like it is for
most pilots?

You can get that changed for free - even if you don't care if your SSN is
on your old ticket, this is a good way to get one of the nifty new plastic
tickets with Orville and Wilber's picture on it to replace that faded,
ratty old paper one that has been in your wallet for
who-know-how-many-years...

You can even update your hair color to grey or none as applicable :-)

Or your weight....

A Cadillac DeVille Courtesy Car! Jay Honeck Piloting 10 January 18th 07 02:40 PM
much garmin (etc) theft? houstondan Owning 0 September 2nd 06 04:31 AM
Gas Theft Nashua (ASH) Hank Rausch Piloting 42 February 10th 06 09:36 AM
Theft among friends bumper Soaring 8 July 29th 05 05:51 PM
Theft From Baggage-Continental [email protected] Piloting 73 April 2nd 05 08:17 AM