VIDEO: F/A-18 catches a deck wire with its wingtip duringacarrier landing ... More data

Old October 24th 04, 03:53 PM
Pechs1

Default VIDEO: F/A-18 catches a deck wire with its wingtip duringacarrier landing ... More data

John- Point of all this? Even those with profession experience/knowledge
have
differing opinions. And, your career can survive a mishap .... maybe.
BRBR

I put a strut thru the wing of an F-4S druing blue water ops on Midway, at
night. big CDTL, plus pitching deck altho I was 'slammed' by the CO(Fox, have
ya seen my movie, Farrell).

Creative book keepin' made it a class C mishap and all it did was help people
remember my name, not the mishap..that sometimes happens also.

I was hopin' it would give me new callsign, it didn't. Still hate the one I
have.

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old October 24th 04, 05:37 PM
Paul Michael Brown

I put a strut thru the wing of an F-4S during blue water ops on Midway, at
night. Big CDTL, plus pitching deck altho I was 'slammed' by the CO (Fox, have
ya seen my movie, Farrell).

Please explain: "Big CDTL."
Old October 24th 04, 06:12 PM
John R Weiss

"Paul Michael Brown" wrote...

Please explain: "Big CDTL."

Come Down to Land. In this case, the deck coming UP at an inopportune time made
it that much worse...

Old October 24th 04, 06:12 PM
John R Weiss

"Pechs1" wrote...

I put a strut thru the wing of an F-4S druing blue water ops on Midway, at
night. big CDTL, plus pitching deck altho I was 'slammed' by the CO(Fox, have
ya seen my movie, Farrell).

Creative book keepin' made it a class C mishap and all it did was help people
remember my name, not the mishap..that sometimes happens also.

Damm airplane sat up there by El 3 the whole rest of the cruise, too! Kinda got
in the way of the lens sometimes... ;-)

Hmmm... Class C mishap, for an airplane with a broke wing that was salvaged for
parts...

Old October 24th 04, 06:23 PM
Larry

"John R Weiss" wrote in message
"Pechs1" wrote...

I put a strut thru the wing of an F-4S druing blue water ops on Midway,

at
night. big CDTL, plus pitching deck altho I was 'slammed' by the CO(Fox,

have
ya seen my movie, Farrell).

Creative book keepin' made it a class C mishap and all it did was help

people
remember my name, not the mishap..that sometimes happens also.

Damm airplane sat up there by El 3 the whole rest of the cruise, too!

Kinda got
in the way of the lens sometimes... ;-)

I'm confused. If the Hornet 'hulk' was parked back on Elevator 3 (located on
the Starboard side, Aft) why would it interfere with the lens (located on
the Port side, Amidships)?

Hmmm... Class C mishap, for an airplane with a broke wing that was

salvaged for
parts...

They always 'finagle' the figures so it does not appear as bad (on paper) as
it really was. I went 'around and around' a few times on the correct mishap
reporting procedures when I was in QA. Ultimately, the Skipper signs it, so
the Skipper gets it worded his way.

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
USN 'Retired'

Old October 24th 04, 08:50 PM
José Herculano

I put a strut thru the wing of an F-4S druing blue water ops on Midway, at
night. big CDTL, plus pitching deck altho I was 'slammed' by the CO(Fox,
have
ya seen my movie, Farrell).

Yautch. Was it the rainbow tailled CAG bird, modex 200? That got its
starboard wing almost ripped of?

Creative book keepin' made it a class C mishap and all it did was help
people
remember my name, not the mishap..that sometimes happens also.

Class C ? Then it *can't* be that one...
_____________
José Herculano

Old October 24th 04, 11:21 PM
John R Weiss

"Larry" @ . wrote...

Damm airplane sat up there by El 3 the whole rest of the cruise, too!

Kinda got in the way of the lens sometimes... ;-)

I'm confused. If the Hornet 'hulk' was parked back on Elevator 3 (located on
the Starboard side, Aft) why would it interfere with the lens (located on
the Port side, Amidships)?

IIRC, El 3 on Midway was port side aft -- only 3 elevators, 3 wires, and 2 cats
on the boat.

Of course, my memory has faded in the 21 years since I was aboard... But I DO
remember it was a Phantom, not a Hornet!

Old October 25th 04, 09:34 AM
Dave in San diego

"José Herculano" wrote in
:

I put a strut thru the wing of an F-4S druing blue water ops on
Midway, at night. big CDTL, plus pitching deck altho I was 'slammed'
by the CO(Fox, have
ya seen my movie, Farrell).

Yautch. Was it the rainbow tailled CAG bird, modex 200? That got its
starboard wing almost ripped of?

Creative book keepin' made it a class C mishap and all it did was help
people
remember my name, not the mishap..that sometimes happens also.

Class C ? Then it *can't* be that one...

Are you sure it was at night? I have a copy of the PLAT video of that and
it sure looks like a day trap. I also have, somewhere in my crap, pix of
that thing sitting on El 3.

Yup, just looked at the video - definitely daytime, since I can see the
whitecaps past the deck edge. It's too poor a quality to get the date or
time from it, though.

Dave in San Diego
CV-41 '80-'83
Old October 25th 04, 02:26 PM
Pechs1

PMB- Please explain: "Big CDTL." BRBR

Come Down To Land....
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old October 25th 04, 02:29 PM
Pechs1

JRweiss- Damm airplane sat up there by El 3 the whole rest of the cruise,
too! Kinda got
in the way of the lens sometimes... ;-) BRBR
Hmmm... Class C mishap, for an airplane with a broke wing that was salvaged
for
parts... BRBR

You are thinking of Dean Steele's day landing when the right wing peeled off
like a orange peel. Failed at the wing root, good thing he caught a wire. Guy
in the back seat broke his back..I was the 'tower flower' for the landing.

I just poked the strut thru the top of the wing a wee bit...craned/braged it to
KimHae, I flew it back onbard 9 months later.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)