Pilot makes first NVG Antarctic landing

Old September 13th 08, 07:56 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Ken S. Tucker

Default Pilot makes first NVG Antarctic landing

On Sep 13, 6:05 am, "Atheist Chaplain" wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in ...
On Sep 13, 3:33 am, "Atheist Chaplain" wrote:

High intensity IR LED's in the landing lights would do the job quite well
without having to worry about the reflected active illumination from the
main landing lights, in conjunction with IR reflectors (as used on the
back
of most military vehicles in night time full tactical situations) would
finish the job,

"Hell I have been doing some experiments with IR stuff for
the last couple of months, and it would seem pretty trivial"

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/89009.html

MILspec goes to -40. I had a freezer to test electronics
that went lower, wires shatter, metal brittles. You'll need
to extend your specs to -120F.
Ken

your also assuming that the de-icing on the AC is turned off ??

:-), you can email the A-S base and ask them,
maybe you have good idea!
--
God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?

LOL
Ken
Old September 13th 08, 09:46 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
george

On Sep 14, 12:58*am, Dan wrote:

* *Antarctica gets very little snow which makes me wonder what CNN's
definition of blizzard would be.

Have a look at any of the cameras on the ice during a storm.
Most of the snow comes in horizontally

Old September 13th 08, 10:13 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Dan[_12_]

george wrote:
On Sep 14, 12:58 am, Dan wrote:

Antarctica gets very little snow which makes me wonder what CNN's
definition of blizzard would be.

Have a look at any of the cameras on the ice during a storm.
Most of the snow comes in horizontally

That's windblown ice. Antarctica's airmass is very dry, very little
snowfall. Most of the place has had about 20 centimeters of snow over
the past 50 years.

Snow or ice can be blinding no matter the direction.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old September 13th 08, 10:47 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

"Dan" wrote in message
george wrote:
On Sep 14, 12:58 am, Dan wrote:

Antarctica gets very little snow which makes me wonder what CNN's
definition of blizzard would be.

Have a look at any of the cameras on the ice during a storm.
Most of the snow comes in horizontally

That's windblown ice. Antarctica's airmass is very dry, very little
snowfall. Most of the place has had about 20 centimeters of snow over the
past 50 years.

True on average of course but the coastal regions get around 40cm
while the plateau gets 5cm or so.

Keith

Old September 14th 08, 02:07 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Atheist Chaplain[_2_]

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in message
[...]

I only asked because the de-icing could also be used to keep the IR's warm
enough to work in hostile conditions :-)
Not having anything to do with MIL spec stuff in decades (and only having
discussions with a mate who has recently retired from the US military, who's
professional purview was all things IR and thermo [and only things of a
distinctly NON military nature])
I might just put this too him as he now works for a military contractor, you
never know it might just work :-)

--
God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?

Old September 14th 08, 05:58 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Ken S. Tucker

On Sep 14, 6:07 am, "Atheist Chaplain" wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in ...

[...]

Some people in the A-S station keep blogs, that I
occasionally read, very interesting stuff, and they
have email addresses. IIRC metal embittlement is
a problem, so they need use the right alloys and
so forth.
Ken

Old September 15th 08, 12:26 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Atheist Chaplain[_2_]

[...]

care to share a URL or two :-)

--
God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?

Old September 15th 08, 01:46 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Ken S. Tucker

On Sep 15, 4:26 am, "Atheist Chaplain" wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in ...

[...]

Ask this guy, he might know of some,
http://www.southpolestation.com/
Old September 15th 08, 02:15 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Atheist Chaplain[_2_]

[...]

sweet, thanks :-)

--
God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?

Old September 17th 08, 06:11 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Stella Starr

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in message

care to share a URL or two :-)

Ask this guy, he might know of some,