New engine

Old April 29th 04, 02:07 AM
Frode Berg

Default New engine

Hi!

We just got the bill for our new engine.....*GASP**
It should be ready and mounted in a few weeks.
It's a 1968' Piper Arrow 180 hp.
Great plane!

Is there anything we should be aware of the first few hours running a newly
installed factory overhauled engine? It's a Lycoming.

Any bad things to look for? Not run it over a speceific RPM or anything like
this?

Thanks,

Frode Berg
LN-LMR

Old April 29th 04, 02:15 AM
Dan Truesdell

We had a new O360 installed in our 172 a few years ago (Great Planes
STC). This might be different for an Arrow (CS Prop, no?), but IIRC the
instructions in the manual were pretty clear about running at a fairly
high RPM (something about seating the rings) for 25 or 50 hours (I don't
remember which). It did seem a bit odd to run the engine at 2550 RPM
for extended periods, but that's what we were supposed to do. We now
have 600 hours on the engine. It burns almost no oil and our last
compression checks (this month) were great. Guess we did something
right. In any case, check with the manual and your mechanic.

--
Remove "2PLANES" to reply.

Old April 30th 04, 02:57 AM
dutch

1. First flight take off full power, fly at 75-85% for 30 minutes but try
to orbit the airport. Stay low to maximize manifold pressure. Avoid long
ground operations if possible and keep climb rate low to get maximum
cooling. Maintain rich mixture, at least 150ROP. Land, shut down, cool
completely, check for leaks or any signs of overheating.
2. Second flight give it an hour but stay near airports if you can. Same
power settings.
3. Continue to fly same settings 1-2 hours per flight until oil
consumption stabilizes, telling you the rings have seated.

General intent is to keep lots of pressure in the cylinder to force the
rings against the cylinder wall.

Once rings have seated, you can change oil & filter and fly normally.

Old April 30th 04, 08:10 PM
Ben Haas

"Frode Berg" wrote in message ...
Hi!

We just got the bill for our new engine.....*GASP**
It should be ready and mounted in a few weeks.
It's a 1968' Piper Arrow 180 hp.
Great plane!

I am just curious, Ball park figure for a new engine is?????

Old May 1st 04, 12:49 AM
Frode Berg

Ballpark figure for the engione before mounting is: Just over 191.842 NOK

This includes freight from the US and VAT.

In US dollars this is about: 28.000

Not sure about the cost for mounting and the extra fittings etc but somewere
around 60.000 NOK I guess (around 9000 USD)

Frode

"Ben Haas" skrev i melding
om...