Garmin 196 or 296?

Old March 19th 05, 10:01 PM
Bob Jenneson

Default Garmin 196 or 296?

I have just sold my Garmin Pilot 3 and want to upgrade to another
Garmin, possible a 196 or a 296.
I have a mate with a 196 and it does a great job. Has anybody had any first
hand experience with the new colour 296?
What is the colour screen like to read especially in a sunny cockpit?
Is it worth the extra cash?
You can only get so much info of a web site!

Thanks, Bob.

Old March 19th 05, 10:25 PM
Don Hammer

I have a mate with a 196 and it does a great job. Has anybody had any first
hand experience with the new colour 296?
What is the colour screen like to read especially in a sunny cockpit?

I have a 296 and think it's great. The screen is reflective and looks
good in bright sun.

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 19th 05, 10:57 PM

"Bob Jenneson" wrote:

Has anybody had any first
hand experience with the new colour 296?
What is the colour screen like to read especially in a sunny cockpit?
Is it worth the extra cash?

I just bought the 296. I've figured out some of it, but have had zero
prior experience with any GPS and am looking for a tutorial (you don't
find many Schweizer 2-33s or C152s with GPS!). The color screen is great
and easy to read.

I have two pilot friends with extensive experience with GPSs that both
recently bought the 296--both LOVE it, highly recommended it, and said
"it does everything but fly".

Old March 21st 05, 01:17 PM
Denny

I'm following this with great interest as I have the pair, 195 / 196,
Garmins that reside on the yokes in Fat Albert...
Both databases need their annual refresh... It will cost $70 for the
196 to get the terrain and latest flight data, and $35 for the 195, for
$135 total...

Both the 195/196 screens do poorly in certain lighting situations -
which is annoying but not the end of the world...
The 296 looks good and is offered for $1495..

I can get probably $200 by selling the 195... So, $1495 - $200 + $70
(upgrade 196) = $1365

Or, I can get what? $500 for the 196, so $1495 - $500 + $35 (195
upgrade) = $1030

denny

Old March 21st 05, 01:46 PM
Shirley D.

Tried my 296 yesterday on a 3-leg, 1.5-hr flight around the area. We
were at 3500 feet MSL. It would draw the route, but shortly thereafter,
it would lose satellite reception. Did this 5 times. Finally gave up.
The airplane GPS worked fine the whole way.

Anyone else experience that with their 296? Antenna was up, simulation
mode was off, etc. I'm just learning how to use it and have no prior GPS
experience. Is this common?

??

Old March 22nd 05, 12:32 AM
Cockpit Colin

I always use the suction cup antenna, but I don't bother sticking it on - I
just slide it all the way down the dash until it hits the screen. I usually
have around 9 sats in view - and my understanding is that NZ isn't quite as
well covered as some areas.

I've never had a reception issue with either the 295 or 296 this way

Old March 22nd 05, 12:40 AM
Ekim

Ok, speaking of suction cup antennas for the 296...

Am I the only one who can't figure out how to "unsuck" the suction cups
from the windshield?? Everytime I try to take the thing down, I end up
yanking the two small suction cups right off the bracket and scraping
my thumb nail cuticle trying to pop the larger suction cup!! I'm better
off with duct tape!

Old March 22nd 05, 01:49 AM
aluckyguess

Funny you bring this up, until a couple of weeks I never had to use my
external antenna. I have started to lose satelite reception traveling on a
northerly heading. I was thinking they were working on some of the
sateliltes.

oups.com...